HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 11:59 PM

Ruined in Jordan

I thought I'd close out 2011 by posting some shots of my visit to Jordan back in September, 2010. I'd be pushing the limit of 'urban photos' placing this in the city section so here it is in the general section. I was only in Jordan three days, a tight schedule to say the least. I managed to visit the Roman ruins of Jerash, to the North of Amman and Petra in the South of the country.

The ruins of Jerash are pictured first. Notice the stones are yellowish-white and the architecture is Roman (AD 400-600). The state in which the ruins was preserved was phenomenal. Amazing details in the stone work; the desert is much kinder than humid climates when it comes to decay.

After Jerash it was on to the much larger and more famous Petra. The Nabataens built Petra nearly 1,000 years before the Romans were in Jerash. Petra functioned as a naturally walled fortress and the capitol city for the Nabataens. The area covered by the ruins is vast and would take several days to see it all. Most of the elaborate structures are grave sites and function only as facades. The interiors are really just empty shallow rooms. I heard archaeologists estimate 90% of the ancient city still remains buried under the desert. Every year they dig out a little more.

Ok, on to the photos. I usually shake it up but this time they are in chronological order.

I have no idea why these guys were playing bagpipes and drums. Not exactly Bedouin music...

Driving south to Petra, not much to see along the way. I can vouch that Jordan has a littering problem, trash everywhere.

One has to walk about a mile through a narrow canyon or siq to enter the ancient city of Petra. The walk is vissually stunning, sometimes the canyon narrows to just a few feet.

The Indiana Jones shot, the building is called the Treasury.

The Monestary. It is a long trek in the desert heat to the top of a mountain to see this. I think this was in one of the transformers movies. I only saw the first one so I can't vouch.

A Bedouin family that has lives just outside Petra. They used to live in the ruins until the government of Jordan moved them. Very friendly and nice. I had tea with them on my walk down from the monastery. The tea was as sweet and as thick as maple syrup...

It is virtually impossible to get a shot of the Treasury unobstructed during the day. Too many locals and tourists milling about. I decided to get up early and try to beat the crowds. Not many people entering the park at 6AM.

Another Indy shot

Two shots from the ancient Christian town of Madaba. Some famous mosaics are inside the town's main church. Yeah, I did a terrible job documenting this area.

That's everything, just a quick thread this time. Hope you enjoyed.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 12:12 AM
Ex Houstonian

Wow, I cant believe youve been to Petra, thats one of my top places I want to visit someday. You captured all of it very well.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 12:19 AM

Wow - just wow.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 3:04 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

You're killing me, man. I just finished putting my stuff together for an Amman thread, and you go and do this!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 3:24 AM
Honored Member

Striking photos!

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 3:40 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

All of these are amazing. I really want to visit Israel, Jordan, and Lebanon one day. Thanks for these!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 7:29 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

It's an amazing place.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 7:34 AM

Awesome stuff. Always love the Western attire intermingled with architecture a few millennia old and traditional Eastern attire.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 3:32 PM

Nice. Would be interesting to see some crowd shots too. Was it mostly western tourist?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 4:21 PM
Red October standing by

nice pics. i don't see why you couldn't include it in city photos, it technically is a city. i put my photos of Ur, Iraq in city photos.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 6:18 PM

RE: the bagpipes - Jordan was a British protectorate following WWI (carved out of the former Ottoman Empire) and the Brits imposed their traditions on the Jordanian military. I think the current king was educated in Great Britain, as was his Father.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 4:00 PM

bunt - You snooze you lose. I didn't get any shots from Amman. I just passed through on the way to and from Jerash. Hope you still post them.

brickell - I don't think I have many crowd shots. Many western tourists but lots of large Japanese groups too. Most of the people looked like slobs and many looked downright miserable. Marching through the desert heat appeared not to be what they signed up for.

Lysd - I suppose I could have... too late now.

jg6544 - makes sense

Thanks for all the comments. Happy NYE!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 2:45 AM

As the others said, what a great set. Desert landscapes are always interesting photo subjects, but you captured it exceptionally well.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 6:06 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Oh my!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography