HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 3:22 AM

Topography of Canada's settlements

Ever since I got to Edmonton I've been a bit obsessed with the geography here, including the generally flat topography. Today I got back from Calgary and was quite fascinated with how hilly it is in the western side of the city, completely different from Edmonton. From the 10th floor of my building, facing north yields an almost completely flat city, with highest change in elevation being this dirt pile beside the Yellowhead.

Winnipeg and Regina seemed to be completely flat when I drove past them a few months ago. I didn't enter either city too far, however all the land around them were remniscent of a really big table. The best part was Morden and Winkler, two Manitoba towns 10km apart that could actually be seen from one another.

What are some other interesting topographical features in Canadian cities?

In Ontario:
- Hamilton is built on two separate elevations
- The GTA slopes south towards the lake, making it easy to figure out which direction you're travelling

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 3:28 AM

king of geographic features is probably halifax.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 3:35 AM

The dirt pile by the Yellowhead is a landfill and waste management facility.

Edmonton's topography is relatively uninteresting, with the notable exception of the river valley and ravines. It's really interesting seeing an entire city basically perched atop this huge valley and then seeing the few straggler negihbourhoods which managed to be built on the river valley plain before it was decided the river valley should remain natural. Some of the lakes just outside of the city are pretty nice, though.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 3:39 AM

It would seem to me that Edmonton is the third or fourth flattest large city in the country, behind Regina, Winnipeg and possibly Saskatoon (which I haven't been to yet and therefore am not certain about). Curious if there are any towns in Alberta that have Saskatchewan/Manitoba level flatness, where you can see the other side of the town, such as I encountered in Morden.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 5:02 AM

Just found this topography map of Winnipeg. Absurdly flat, with barely any change in elevation!

http://www.umanitoba.ca/oldnews/floo...o/dikes-2.html

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 6:11 AM

saskatoon hasn't a single (natural)hill. aside from he river valley that is.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 6:20 AM
BANNED

Regina doesn’t even have a river valley, or river for that matter. The trickle of water that flows through Regina is called Wascana Creek.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 9:40 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I think the most unexpected thing about St. John's, as it's a coastal city, is that it offers almost no sea views. The hills at the ocean's edge rise up quite high in comparison to those on which the city is built so, from most areas of the city itself, you can't see the sea at all:

As for the topography of the city, most of it is at an elevation of between zero and 100 metres above sea level. It's generally very steep. This map shows what would happen if sea levels rose 35 metres, so please note some of the areas covered in water actually aren't today. But, otherwise, it shows the elevation of the city:

www.floodmap.net

The city is prevented from spreading west due to Pippy Park, which covers 14 km2. Until very recently, urban development above an elevation of 190 metres was prohibited, so the city generally circles the various peaks within it (such as Kenmount) rather than growing over them.

To the south and west, St. John's runs up the Waterford River Valley to the neighbouring city of Mount Pearl. This is a slow, steady climb. If you drive along Waterford Bridge Road, Topsail Road, Kenmount Road, etc., it's more or less entirely uphill from St. John's to Mount Pearl. Much of Mount Pearl is at a similar elevation as Signal Hill (you can see Cabot Tower from just about anywhere there).

To the north, the city spreads across some of the uplands, but only in the areas at a lower elevation than 190 metres. This is where the airport is located, etc.

And a few examples of how steep the city is.

The elevation difference between these two points is 15 metres:

Between these two, it's 7 metres:

And between these two, it's 48 metres:

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Aug 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
It would seem to me that Edmonton is the third or fourth flattest large city in the country, behind Regina, Winnipeg and possibly Saskatoon (which I haven't been to yet and therefore am not certain about). Curious if there are any towns in Alberta that have Saskatchewan/Manitoba level flatness, where you can see the other side of the town, such as I encountered in Morden.
You can add Windsor to your list, flat as a pancake, although just a few km to our north in Metro Detroit there are very hilly areas with ski slopes. Our interesting natural features are our riverfront and Lake St. Claire!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 12:45 PM

I never really paid attention to this the few times I was there, but I seem to recall Windsor having a noticeable slope down towards the Detroit River.

Most of interior southern Ontario is quite wavy actually. The 401 through the SW can go uphill for 2 km then back downhill. Rarely is it ever level.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 12:49 PM

Moncton is on a very broad valley floor and is as flat as a pancake as well.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 1:01 PM

Kitchener is pretty unremarkable - the whole place slopes down about 100 meters from "west" to "east" (directions must always be in quotations when speaking about K-W!) and there are a couple of large sand hills (one has been largely flattened, but Cedar Hill is still a fairly prominent feature) that leave the Downtown in a bit of a trough. The Downtown itself slopes gently down to the "north-west", where much of today's urban core was once swampland (only a tiny remnant of that remains, in Cherry Park on the far "west" side of the old city.) You would need a good eye to notice much of this - to the outsider, it probably looks like very gently rolling topography, nothing more.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 1:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

There is a 15-20 m elevation difference between my house and my kids' school. Which about a 5-10 minute walk away in the same neighbourhood. Not sure if this is significant but it is what it is.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 1:32 PM

Winnipeg punches way above its weight when it comes to flatness.

Seriously, we don't have the valleys that Saskatoon or Edmonton have, nor the hills of a place like Moncton. I think only Regina can give us a run for our money in sheer, pancake like flatness.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is a 15-20 m elevation difference between my house and my kids' school. Which about a 5-10 minute walk away in the same neighbourhood. Not sure if this is significant but it is what it is.
Acajack! Raise your eyes! You dwell in the glorious valley of the Ottawa, embraced by the Canadian Shield and sloping gently on both sides to the mighty waterway. OK, that's a bit much, but it's quite nice from a distance.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Seriously, we don't have the valleys that Saskatoon or Edmonton have, nor the hills of a place like Moncton. I think only Regina can give us a run for our money in sheer, pancake like flatness.
Dammit! Now that's going to be in my head all day!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 1:43 PM

Edmonton's topography is interesting around the river. Those big prairie rivers cut some massive gorges through the plains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

C'mon, I know villages of 100 that are just as flat as Winnipeg. Way more density of flatness per 1,000 persons than Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 2:04 PM
Change is good

As you leave west out of Edmonton, you start to get some rolling hills that grow larger and larger until the foothills. Edmonton is pretty flat though outside of the river valley, though there's decent change between Sherwood Park and downtown Edmonton.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 3:20 PM

Kingston's got some hills and slopes in the old city around the water. Ottawa is very flat.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
As you leave west out of Edmonton, you start to get some rolling hills that grow larger and larger until the foothills. Edmonton is pretty flat though outside of the river valley, though there's decent change between Sherwood Park and downtown Edmonton.
Sherwood Park seems to have a gentle slope, but once you cross the Henday it's level the whole way until the river it seems. I took Baseline/101 Ave into Edmonton yesterday and could see the urban canyon of Jasper Ave from 12km away.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada