HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 10:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscrapercitirocks View Post
Hey NYguy, The building's roofheight is 406 meters, isn't it?
But the old 1 wtc's was 417 meters. How is its roofheight officially the same as former's?
It won't be officially the same. But that was never important, it was a gesture from David Childs since his redesign was going to be around the same height.

chan1wong1

kramohr

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 11:27 PM

I love the last picture.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 12:16 AM

If you weren't convinced Durst couldn't care less about what the spire represent, watch this. Fast forward to 3:30.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/morganbr...o-woo-tenants/

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
If you weren't convinced Durst couldn't care less about what the spire represent, watch this. Fast forward to 3:30.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/morganbr...o-woo-tenants/
As much as a absolutely loathe Durst, I've got to say I agree with him on that. The ridiculous rules of the self-appointed CTBUH are out dated and irrelevant. 1 WTC is taller to the top of the structure than Willis, and Willis is taller to the top of the façade/parapet/roof whatever you want to call it.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGarcia View Post
As much as a absolutely loathe Durst, I've got to say I agree with him on that. The ridiculous rules of the self-appointed CTBUH are out dated and irrelevant. 1 WTC is taller to the top of the structure than Willis, and Willis is taller to the top of the façade/parapet/roof whatever you want to call it.
As long as the same rules apply here as with all buildings before this.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 2:20 AM

[QUOTE=NYguy;6329684]It won't be officially the same. But that was never important, it was a gesture from David Childs since his redesign was going to be around the same height.

chan1wong1

Is that Mt Beacon to the left of 1WTC and on the horizon? And is that the farthest out you can see to a point on the ground in any direction?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
I love the last picture.
I wholeheartedly concur, as long as I am holding my thumb in front of the ugly fest happening on the top half of 4 Times Square..

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 4:17 AM

pretty much spot with this rendering

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
As long as the same rules apply here as with all buildings before this.
I'm fine with that. Buildings need only 2 heights. tip/pinnacle and top of façade/enclosed space.

The lines between what's an architectural element and what's an antenna are becoming more and more blurred. For instance, the Willis Tower's antennas are more architecturally important than NY Times' spire.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 5:33 AM

Quote:
I'm fine with that. Buildings need only 2 heights. tip/pinnacle and top of façade/enclosed space.

The lines between what's an architectural element and what's an antenna are becoming more and more blurred. For instance, the Willis Tower's antennas are more architecturally important than NY Times' spire.
Willis Tower's antennas are also far more substantial than WTC-1's mast; in fact, it would make more sense to count Willis' antennas as spires than WTC-1's

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
It can still be a little fuzzy. Some would want to count the mooring mast on the ESB and some would call it part of a spire, even though it's enclosed. I doubt if any standard is going to stop people who worry about "official" designations from arguing.
Why people think that being able to point to some made up standard of what counts as having anything to do with the reality of what a building is has always escaped me. Look at the building and make your own decision.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 1:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The ridiculous rules of the self-appointed CTBUH are out dated and irrelevant. 1 WTC is taller to the top of the structure than Willis, and Willis is taller to the top of the façade/parapet/roof whatever you want to call it.
Quote:
Buildings need only 2 heights. tip/pinnacle and top of façade/enclosed space. The lines between what's an architectural element and what's an antenna are becoming more and more blurred. For instance, the Willis Tower's antennas are more architecturally important than NY Times' spire.
As much as I want to get in on that, the question on hand is whether or not the mast on top of the Freedom Tower is to be considered a spire or simply an antenna. Whether or not spires or antennas should count towards the height is a matter already determined. The Freedom Tower won't be the first building to have a spire or antenna in either case. The rules are what they are, and applied to buildings worldwide, not just here.

I'm looking at Good Day New York, and they are making a big deal about the Council's decision, but people are clueless about skyscrapers in general. It was actually stated that the current world's tallest is in Kuala Lumpur.

But lost in all of the discussion is the fact that the Freedom Tower was never intended to be the country's tallest - that was just happenstance. The whole point was that the mast would mark the symbolic height of 1,776 ft. Nowhere in all of the recent media coverage of the impending Council decision regarding height, does it say anything about the fact that the building won't match that mark in either case. I think that should be the bigger story, but I guess it's not the most sensational one.

Edit: Childs chimes in on the symbolic height...

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...231035261.html

Quote:
What we're interested in is that symbolic height ... what's important is the number, 1,776," architect David Childs, who will be making the case before the group, told NBC 4 New York.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Willis Tower's antennas are also far more substantial than WTC-1's mast; in fact, it would make more sense to count Willis' antennas as spires than WTC-1's
Except Willis' antennae have been replaced and upgraded while 1WTC's mast is a permanent structure.

1WTC will never add anything substantial to the mast that effects the height nor will it add anything above the beacon at the top. Willis on the other hand can attach and replace antennae at will. See this article about them '1-uping' the Petronas and Twin Towers.

Last edited by drumz0rz; Nov 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 3:20 PM

As i said many moons ago: They should have gone 1776' to the roof and this wouldn't even need to be debated. If they wanted to add a spire to bring it to 2001' they could have done that too and killed 2 birds with one stone,so to speak.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 3:38 PM

It looks like they're placing black netting around the open area's next to the construction elevator.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I am feeling real stupid this morning after my anniversary dinner. What happened to the Chrysler Building? Has a Florida sink-hole grabed the tower and taken it to the South? Where on these two GREAT photos is the Chrysler? Please do not tell me it is off the right edge on the first photo and behind the Empire State on the second photo!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 4:39 PM

^^^ The Chrysler building is to the east of BOA, ESB, And MetLife so it's out of view. Anyway is base cladding about done?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
It looks like they're placing black netting around the open area's next to the construction elevator.
how are you viewing this ??
I cant get earthcam to work again.....

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 5:09 PM

Sorry I don't know too much about this tower, can someone tell me why the top floors are not lit up in all the pictures I've seen so far?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinSoCal View Post
Sorry I don't know too much about this tower, can someone tell me why the top floors are not lit up in all the pictures I've seen so far?
The top floors are lit up. What you're seeing are the mechanical floors behind the vertical vents. Those are dark during construction and give a weird "circumcision scar" look to the tower (am I the only one who sees that?). Don't worry, when construction is complete this section will be lit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive