HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 11:56 AM
Hello

I love the new rendering. This a great addition to Old City and the city in general. Great design. I like it just about as much as the original renderings. The juxtaposition of the super modern and old is cool.

Whatever is in the about the fifth floor is going to have some really good views of PATCO trains.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 2:00 PM

I really like this version. Will stand out as interesting without being dominating from the bridge

Add visual interest on the street level from the East and incorporates an lmost natural transition from west to east and at the street level while adding with the pedastol

nicely done lets hope this turns out close to this rendering

Also as an aside I just read that the stone foundations of the BF bridge were originally designed to house a station. That would be interesting

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 5:48 PM

BFB anchorages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
I really like this version. Will stand out as interesting without being dominating from the bridge

Add visual interest on the street level from the East and incorporates an lmost natural transition from west to east and at the street level while adding with the pedastol

Also as an aside I just read that the stone foundations of the BF bridge were originally designed to house a station. That would be interesting
Yes you are right inside the anchorages on both sides of the river are spaces for the bridge train to stop. These never used stations are decorated with "Mercer Tiles". If you don't know what they are google the term.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post

Not to derail this thread or anything, but your reminded me of this WHYY special from awhile ago that explored the engineering and structure of the bridge. It's some pretty cool stuff. There's also another one on City Hall that is equally as fascinating.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
Yes you are right inside the anchorages on both sides of the river are spaces for the bridge train to stop. These never used stations are decorated with "Mercer Tiles". If you don't know what they are google the term.
Spent half my childhood in Bucks County, know Mercer tiles well

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 12:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasi View Post
This the type of project we need.If all the projects were as innovative as this, there would be less complaints about the height (i.e. 1919 Market)
unlike this, 1919 is under construction. the design is unique and modern, but let's hope we actually see it start. This project has been discussed in some form for 10 years or so. Still a vacant lot.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 1:34 PM

I love this and wish we had more innovative designs like this. Sure, we have some really great buildings U/C now, but none of them are like this (different? exciting? unique? something you'd find in Scandinavia?)

That said, I echo 1487's doubts. A quick search on PlanPhilly yields several articles on this project, the most recent being last August. One of the articles from last July stated that construction will begin in Q1 2015. And the articles all showed this design. If it's any different than the previously released renderings, then it just must have been some small tweaks. Possibly just new renderings?

Hey, I really hope this gets built. It's a real beauty.

Besides the rendering that Summers posted (which may or may not be new) - does anyone have any actual news or a picture showing activity on the site?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 5:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I love this and wish we had more innovative designs like this. Sure, we have some really great buildings U/C now, but none of them are like this (different? exciting? unique? something you'd find in Scandinavia?)

That said, I echo 1487's doubts. A quick search on PlanPhilly yields several articles on this project, the most recent being last August. One of the articles from last July stated that construction will begin in Q1 2015. And the articles all showed this design. If it's any different than the previously released renderings, then it just must have been some small tweaks. Possibly just new renderings?

Hey, I really hope this gets built. It's a real beauty.

Besides the rendering that Summers posted (which may or may not be new) - does anyone have any actual news or a picture showing activity on the site?
There were proposals for this site under the same name 5+ years ago prior to the recession.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 5:24 PM

A construction permit was recently issued.

205 RACE ST PHILADELPHIA, PA

PERMIT NUMBER
APPLICATION TYPE
NEW CONSTRUCTION PERMIT
PERMIT TYPE
ANC-ENTIRE STRUCTURE
STATUS
ACTIVE
DATE ISSUED
July 14, 2015
LAST UPDATED
July 15, 2015
WORK DESCRIPTION
FOR THE ERECTION OF A 17 STORY BUILDING FOR THE USE OF ACCESSORY PARKING IN THE BASEMENT LEVEL, WITH RETAIL COMMERCIAL SPACE ON THE GROUND FLOOR LEVEL AND MULTI FAMILY DWELLING (146 DWELLING UNITS) FROM THE SECOND THROUGH 17TH FLOOR LEVEL. ALL WORK TO BE DONE PER APPROVED PLANS. BUILDING TO BE FULLY SPRINKLERED. IF FIELD CONDITIONS VARY CONTACT STRUCTURAL ENGINEER PRIOR TO THE START OF ANY WORK. SEPARATE USE PERMIT, CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY AND INTERIOR ALTERATIONS PERMIT REQUIRED FOR COMMERCIAL SPACE ON THE FIRST FLOOR LEVEL PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY. SEPARATE PERMITS REQUIRED FOR MECHANICAL, ELECTRICAL, PLUMBING AND FIRE SUPPRESSION WORK.

http://www.phila.gov/data/Pages/defa...its&eid=576635

Last edited by wondertwinalpha; Jul 20, 2015 at 5:47 PM. Reason: add link.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 5:48 PM

^ Awesome!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 9:04 PM

Happened to be in Old City this afternoon ...

[IMG]Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 2:16 AM

Less appealing rendering from what looks to be the same round of updates :/

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 2:32 AM

Actually this version might look better in person despite the rendering seeming worse.

In example the jet black for this building looks bad in person -

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 2:43 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Actually this version might look better in person despite the rendering seeming worse.

In example the jet black for this building looks bad in person -

Everything looks bad about this building right down to the front door. And, it looks like there is a street facing garage. Mixing brick and some kind of modern looking paneling...i just puked because it's so nauseating.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 6:10 PM
BANNED

lets hope this vacant lot disappears soon

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 6:41 PM
Mr. Technology

I like this building and it's location.
In fact, I've always wondered why skyscrapers aren't planned east of the sacred "City Hall".

Why oh why does the west side get the towers while the east side gets nothing?

I hope this tower gets built soon!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
I like this building and it's location.
In fact, I've always wondered why skyscrapers aren't planned east of the sacred "City Hall".

Why oh why does the west side get the towers while the east side gets nothing?

I hope this tower gets built soon!
My guess is china town / the hospital / historic areas / the gallary and convention center. Otherwise it makes no sense, it's just as prime for towers.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 6:52 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
My guess is china town / the hospital / historic areas / the gallary and convention center. Otherwise it makes no sense, it's just as prime for towers.
This tower sends the perfect message loud and clear.
As visitors enter the city from the Ben Franklin Bridge, they are welcomed by a skyscraper.

Yes, you have historic buildings, but there are areas that have been ignored forever.

Chestnut, Walnut, Spruce, Arch, Race - so many streets begging for redevelopment.

Not to go off-topic, but Manhattan is developing the "West Side" into a skyscraper megacenter.

Philadelphia can certainly do that and it all starts with this tower on Race Street!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 7:05 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Bring more "office" jobs into downtown or court a major company to have it's headquarters location in downtown. We need more office towers.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 7:27 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Bring more "office" jobs into downtown or court a major company to have it's headquarters location in downtown. We need more office towers.
You do realize that this thread subject is regarding a residential tower, not an office building offering you a job, right?

This is going to give Society Hill some nice views!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive