HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

15 Hudson Yards in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 5:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The merger of the Culture Shed with the tower had to be approved, and of course City Planning issued its Negative Declaration (thumbs up).
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/env_...3m_neg_dec.pdf

Grabbed some new images of the planned facility...
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/env_...cp083m_eas.pdf

A few more images to go along with it...

http://www.rockwellgroup.com/project...y/culture-shed

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 2:53 PM

So in the various renderings of the Shed, I'm seeing a particular difference: In some of them, when the shed is extended, the cutout bottom area is open to the air, and in others, there are actual window panes in the cutout portion. Perhaps there actually two independent, separately-moveable "sheaths" that comprise the one shed? Or window-walls can be installed after deployment? Or the most likely scenario: being so early on, they're still hammering out details?

Just thought it was interesting. If it's one vs the other as the final version (open-air extension vs closed), what do people think would be the better permanent solution? I lean towards the open air shed but could be convinced otherwise.

For example:

vs

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 4:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Just thought it was interesting. If it's one vs the other as the final version (open-air extension vs closed), what do people think would be the better permanent solution? I lean towards the open air shed but could be convinced otherwise.
I think there is the option of it being both, depending on the time of year.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 5:04 PM

The cultural shed and it´s ability to move and create dofferent type of public spaces is the sickest idea of the entire project IMO. Great futursistic stuff is going to happen there.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 8:50 PM

Quote:
I think there is the option of it being both, depending on the time of year.
That would be fantastic.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 9:36 PM

Quote:
A few more images to go along with it...
Love the shed and its flexibility. That's a very modern concept to apply to a prominent building or public space, and I'm glad they're doing so.

Now, I love a lot of these buildings and spaces individually (initially skeptical of the "Corset" building, but it has really grown on my), but looking at some of these renders of the base of the towers and the plaza... am I the only person who feels like there are just way too many conflicting geometries going on in this one space? The skeletal bulbousness of the culture shed, the sleek curves of the Corset, the many, many different hard angles and monolithic faces of the South Tower... it doesn't make for a particularly cohesive experience.

These guys clearly have very good ideas about the flow of foot traffic, the relationships between the inside and out, the street level and those above. It's going to be a marvelous place to be. But when I look at some of these renders, from a purely aesthetic point of view, I find my head hurting.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 11:29 PM

These public spaces (especially the shed) are really going to be the livelihood of the neighbourhood. I am loving these renderings. Hopefully the finished product will not diminish the renderings.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 11:06 AM
New Yorker for life

The cultural facility has always been a planned part of the complex, but it's now being merged with the tower to create more open space. The "removable" part is a way of increasing the size for certain events. Also, there we be an entrance from street level. I've always wondered where the heights of these buildings are taken from, the plaza level or street level.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Love the shed and its flexibility. That's a very modern concept to apply to a prominent building or public space, and I'm glad they're doing so.

Now, I love a lot of these buildings and spaces individually (initially skeptical of the "Corset" building, but it has really grown on my), but looking at some of these renders of the base of the towers and the plaza... am I the only person who feels like there are just way too many conflicting geometries going on in this one space? The skeletal bulbousness of the culture shed, the sleek curves of the Corset, the many, many different hard angles and monolithic faces of the South Tower... it doesn't make for a particularly cohesive experience.

These guys clearly have very good ideas about the flow of foot traffic, the relationships between the inside and out, the street level and those above. It's going to be a marvelous place to be. But when I look at some of these renders, from a purely aesthetic point of view, I find my head hurting.

I think you'll like it once completed. The best skylines have varying architecture that share the same area (relatively).

When you have variety, it adds to the look and feel of the area.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 9:10 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013...-public-review

Huge Performance Space Planned for Hudson Yards Goes to Public Review

March 18, 2013
By Mathew Katz

Quote:
Fashion Week's potential future home and the centerpiece of the west side's Hudson Yards development will land before Community Board 4 on Monday, beginning a long process to create a huge new space for concerts and arts events.

At roughly 170,000 square feet, the Hudson Yards Culture Shed aims to be the city's premiere venue for art and entertainment, complete with a performance space, three indoor galleries and another one on the roof.

Plans for the Shed have changed since zoning for it was approved in 2004 — it's now almost 70,000 square feet larger and will be located at the southern end of the development, near West 30th Street and 11th Avenue.

True to its name, the main Culture Shed building will have a retractable "shed" that will provide additional covered space for exhibitions and events.

The change requires some tweaks to the Hudson Yards zoning, meaning Community Board 4's Land Use Committee will review it at its meeting at 6:30 March 18 at the Fulton Center Auditorium, 119 Ninth Ave. The full board will vote on the changes at its April 3 meeting.

The zoning change will make its way to the Borough President's office, the City Planning Commission and will eventually need approval from the City Council.

According to the center's zoning application, it will offer a wide array from community programming on top of artistic exhibitions, ranging from film screenings to greenmarkets. The Shed will host numerous short-term performances and special events as well.

"The ability to present multiple works or events simultaneously in several spaces will allow for unique forms of collaboration across artistic and design disciplines," the application says.

"For example, a theater or dance company may present performances in a space adjacent to an art exhibit, with the performance and exhibit organized around common or related artistic themes and motifs."

The glass building, designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro and the Rockwell Group, will connect to other skyscrapers in the massive Hudson Yards project.

Developer Related broke ground on the neighborhood's first skyscraper in December, though city officials expect the Culture Shed to open in 2017.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 10:34 PM
World Machine

Can't imagine why this would receive anything short of a warm reception. This is such a necessary component.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 5:28 PM
Not far from Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Can't imagine why this would receive anything short of a warm reception. This is such a necessary component.
Agreed. The Culture Shed is amazing!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 6:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The approval is more of a formality. The Culture Shed is the cultural component that was mandated for the site plan, crafted by City Planning. But there have been some changes to it since the rail yard zoning was approved. They have to get the zoning to match what is being built (a reversal).

One thing a lot of people probably don't remember is that the cultural facility, or performing arts center at the WTC was originally going to be similarly bound to the Freedom Tower.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 8:15 PM

wow, I absolutely love this.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 9:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Of course, being a formality doesn't mean the NIMBYs have to like it.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013...ce-board-fears

Hudson Yards 'Culture Shed' Could Lack Class, Strip Open Space, Board Fears

Marchh 19, 2013
By Mathew Katz

Quote:
What is culture?

Community Board 4 wants to know, and it may have a problem with the city's definition.

Board members slammed a plan to build an expanded version of a huge Hudson Yards arts venue on Monday night, fearing it would take away public space and that its broad definition of "culture" could transform it into a smaller version of the Javits Center. A plan for the so-called Hudson Yards Culture Shed, which the city hopes to build at West 30th Street and 11th Avenue, expands the shed's footprint under newly proposed zoning for the massive development project. The building would have a retractable "shed" that would cover part of the Hudson Yards plaza, creating about 30,000 square feet of covered space for events such as Fashion Week.

While the Culture Shed could host art and dance exhibits, concerts, and even a local greenmarket, board members feared it could end up hosting more low-brow events. "A lot of us are interested in culture, it's a nice sounding word," said board member Jean-Daniel Noland. "I don't want to nitpick, but what's not cultural? A boat show? A culinary exhibit? I define culture more narrow than perhaps you do."

Kate Levin, commissioner of the city's Department of Cultural Affairs, said that the building's mandate would have an evolving view of what culture is, including events like fashion design, industrial design and the culinary arts. "Part of what this is trying to do is anticipate future uses," Levin said.

She added that other media could qualify as culture, pointing to a recent MoMA exhibition of video games.

But board member Joe Restuccia said allowing that flexibility could prove dangerous in the future. "Saying [culture] is wide open, this could easily, if it's not successful, turn into a big exhibiton space with a lot of Chryslers in it," he said.

Building the expanded shed requires a change to the Hudson Yards zoning plan, which was approved in 2004 after Community Board 4 fought hard for public open space.

During the meeting, Department of Cultural Affairs staffers admitted that when the retractable shed is deployed, it would cover some 20,000 square feet of that public space, often for private or ticketed events. For Fashion Week, which officials hope to move to the shed, the area would be closed to the public for at least 28 days a year. "This is doing one thing we're clear about, it is taking 20,000 square feet of open-to-the-air open space, and it's gone," said Restuccia, who was heavily involved with the original Hudson Yards rezoning. "How dare you come and ask us to give up 20,000 square feet when we went through a whole process to get this mess."

The board suggested that there be a hard limit on how many days the deployed shed could be closed off to the public, and even demanded that bathrooms be open to everyone no matter what event is going on. "A park should be available to the public on a non-scheduled basis," said board member Walter Mankoff. "People who want to go to the park have to know in advance if it is available or not available — and that, I think, is a major problem."

Elise Wagner, an attorney for the project, countered by saying that the Culture Shed would bring enough good to the city that it's worth the occasional lose of open space. "The case we're making to you is that we're providing this cultural facility, which has a lot of public benefits," she said. "That is the trade-off." But for the board, that deal wasn't good enough. It wanted the city to find open space elsewhere if the Culture Shed would take away what it won in the original zoning agreement. "Unless we are compensated for the loss of public space," Noland noted, "we say no."

The board will vote on its final recommendation on the proposed changes to the project at its April 3 meeting.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 9:55 PM
World Machine

Ah geez . . . I suppose I spoke too soon - nonetheless, reading some of that gave me a laugh . . . the whole 'how dare you' drama in particular. I suppose you can't please everyone.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 10:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Ah geez . . . I suppose I spoke too soon - nonetheless, reading some of that gave me a laugh . . . the whole 'how dare you' drama in particular. I suppose you can't please everyone.
Yeah, some of it is funny. With everything going on in the world, this is the battle they want to fight. Back when fashion week was held at Bryant Park, you could understand some of the complaints, because it took up the entire park. But here, for the relatively small amount of open space the "removable" shed would occupy, not to mention that the site is currently an open railyard those people can't use one day out of the year, those NIMBYs should be told they can go jump in the Hudson River. It's a development for the City as a whole, not their own private backyards.

Quote:
"A lot of us are interested in culture, it's a nice sounding word," said board member Jean-Daniel Noland. "I don't want to nitpick, but what's not cultural? A boat show? A culinary exhibit? I define culture more narrow than perhaps you do."

"This is doing one thing we're clear about, it is taking 20,000 square feet of open-to-the-air open space, and it's gone," said Restuccia, who was heavily involved with the original Hudson Yards rezoning. "How dare you come and ask us to give up 20,000 square feet when we went through a whole process to get this mess."
How dare you, indeed.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post

-
I've said before that I think the plaza level + the first 100 vertical feet of the complex is a little much, a little noisy. Still, I'll take it. The bubble-blanket thing on the shed makes me smile for some reason, and the Corset building is just plain beautiful.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 5:05 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
But board member Joe Restuccia said allowing that flexibility could prove dangerous in the future. "Saying [culture] is wide open, this could easily, if it's not successful, turn into a big exhibiton space with a lot of Chryslers in it," he said.
#nycproblems

Seriously, cry me a f*cking river. The city should not make plans based on this tight-assed prude's idea of culture.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
#nycproblems

Seriously, cry me a f*cking river. The city should not make plans based on this tight-assed prude's idea of culture.
-
This cultural shed is DANGEROUS!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive