HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 3:42 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
I have agree with you. They will not go beyond on Washington St to State Capitol. Because the governor won't let go through. It's their choice and it's her decision. She did the right things to do. They will turnaround on 15th Ave right back to downtown Phoenix.

Thank you for the update. Keep us posted!
I think Governor Hobbs would be fine with the original route. It was the legislature, specifically House Speaker Ben Toma, who had a problem with it.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 2:01 AM
self-important urbanista

Parking reform passed 8-1 today. As usual, Jim Waring dissented. I'm just glad that Ann O'Brien, who had previously been on the fence, was persuaded. It's not the bold initiative I wanted, but it's still a step in the right direction.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Parking reform passed 8-1 today. As usual, Jim Waring dissented. I'm just glad that Ann O'Brien, who had previously been on the fence, was persuaded. It's not the bold initiative I wanted, but it's still a step in the right direction.
What was the reform?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 4:44 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
What was the reform?
Reductions in mandatory minimum requirements, especially in areas near light rail. For apartments in that corridor, the requirement is reduced from the citywide standard of 1.5 spaces per apartment. It can now go as low as .75 spaces for buildings within a quarter mile of light rail. For apartments throughout the city that cater primarly to senior or special needs populations, there can also be similar reductions if the developer can document a diminished need for parking.

Last edited by exit2lef; Jan 25, 2024 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 6:13 PM

Metro light rail to Northwest Phoenix phase two extension is opening today.

https://www.12news.com/mobile/articl...6-99053356f9e2

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 8:58 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Metro light rail to Northwest Phoenix phase two extension is opening today.

https://www.12news.com/mobile/articl...6-99053356f9e2
I went to the grand opening event and rode it shortly after. The view as the train passes over I-17 is pretty impressive. Looking south, you can see Castles & Coasters with South Mountain and the Sierra Estrella in the background. To the north, Shaw Butte is visible.

Last edited by exit2lef; Jan 27, 2024 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2024, 1:20 AM
Modulator

Quote:
I went to the grand opening event and rode it shortly after. The view as the train passes over I-17 is pretty impressive. Looking south, you can see Castles & Coasters with South Mountain and the Sierra Estrella in the background. To the north, Shaw Butte is visible.
I was there as well and rode the first LRT in service out of the station. I took a video of the view over I-17 riding along the bridge. Will post later with several pics I took.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2024, 12:14 PM
self-important urbanista

Someone's already got a video up on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEsiaLTp4Bo

Old Posted Jan 28, 2024, 1:16 PM
Skyriser

In the video above, the 35 bus which is already slated for BRT itself picking up right next to the escalator is absolutely beautiful. I'm so used to seeing overbuilt transfers and this is something else.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2024, 2:25 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
In the video above, the 35 bus which is already slated for BRT itself picking up right next to the escalator is absolutely beautiful. I'm so used to seeing overbuilt transfers and this is something else.
Having the bus bays below the elevated rail station is great. There's no need to cross busy streets and plenty of shade. There are four local routes and one express that will use the bays, and, as you mention, the 35 is planned for an upgrade to BRT.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 9:52 PM
Skyriser

There are three public meetings during the month of February where Valley Metro will present/gather input on a variety of projects.

I can't tell if any new information will be presented but for anyone interested:

https://www.valleymetro.org/project/...ansit-projects

https://vulcan-production.nyc3.cdn.d...ew-eng-esp.pdf

I notice the Capitol Extension (formerly I-10 West Phase 1) is slated to move forward while the part west of 15th Ave is moved to a phase 2 rather than interrupting the entire cycle. I wonder how long it will take them to build .75 miles of light rail?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I notice the Capitol Extension (formerly I-10 West Phase 1) is slated to move forward while the part west of 15th Ave is moved to a phase 2 rather than interrupting the entire cycle. I wonder how long it will take them to build .75 miles of light rail?
4-6 years after receiving federal grant funding in 2027

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 2:05 AM

I don't think there's anything shocking or new to us in here but nice to see continued growth and investment at PHX, still my favorite domestic airport.

- The airport saw 48.8 million travelers last year, surpassing the previous record of 46.3 million passengers in 2019. The mark was up 4.5 million passengers from 2022.

- The airport is set to invest more than $3 billion in projects to improve safety, capacity and efficiency over the next six years.

- Projects include a new north-south taxiway designed to get aircraft to gates quicker, a new six-gate concourse at Terminal 3 and a post-security walkway between Terminals 3 and 4.

- Sky Harbor recently introduced a nonstop flight between Phoenix and Paris on Air France starting in May.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 12:30 PM
self-important urbanista

Some interesting detail about the new light rail bridge over I-17:https://www.statepress.com/article/2...orced-concrete

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Some interesting detail about the new light rail bridge over I-17:https://www.statepress.com/article/2...orced-concrete
Dr. Mobasher was at ASU when I was there 20+ years ago when I got my Civil Engineering degree. Funny, I remember him and his name, I just can't remember if I had a class with him as the professor. Anyway... this quote:

Quote:
"We're reducing greenhouse gases, we're saving all that energy that doesn't have to go into the production of cement for concrete," Andrew Haines, an engineering project manager on the Northwest Expansion said. "The production of the fiber-reinforced concrete is greener than concrete used in the past because there's no need for rebar."
...is all over the place. Are they reducing cement or the amount of steel used? I would be surprised if a bunch of steel fibers has the same reinforcing effect of steel rebar lattices and cages and whatnot.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 4:41 PM

Quote:
On another note, I drove past the new light rail bridge over I-17 at night for the first time last night. It looked fairly cool completely lit up with neon LED lights that changed color every couple of seconds. But then I found myself watching the colors change rather than paying attention to the road. I think it was a really bad idea to illuminate it like that. They might want to consider stopping the color changes so often. Maybe just once every 30 or 40 seconds, so drivers aren't focused on the pretty lights.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
On another note, I drove past the new light rail bridge over I-17 at night for the first time last night. It looked fairly cool completely lit up with neon LED lights that changed color every couple of seconds. But then I found myself watching the colors change rather than paying attention to the road. I think it was a really bad idea to illuminate it like that. They might want to consider stopping the color changes so often. Maybe just once every 30 or 40 seconds, so drivers aren't focused on the pretty lights.
Given the insane number of wrecks on I-17 and the limited access for emergency vehicles with no center shoulder, I agree that any more distractions on I-17 are a hazard.

I don't know what we're gonna do about that freeway long term. It's really not feasible to widen it at this point but it sure is dangerous and also a really important arterial.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 11:37 PM

I heard what happened by last Saturday night. Woman was crashes by light rail near downtown Phoenix. Unfortunately, she was kills by light rail and other woman is in critical condition. Peeps to all Phoenix residents!! Stay off the tracks!

https://www.abc15.com/traffic/crash-...entral-phoenix

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest