HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Winnipeg forumers only, please: SSP:Local Yes or No?
SSP:Local Winnipeg: YES 16 50.00%
SSP:Local Winnipeg: No 16 50.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 1:16 PM
the first stamp is free

I guess it's worth a go to see what happens... I voted yes.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 2:05 PM
arf

I'll say no. I don't like all the splitting out because it means I see fewer threads from other places unless I'm digging through all the individual Local Sections.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 2:39 PM
Movin' on up

Just a question:

How did Halifax get an SSP Local before cities like Toronto or Montreal?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 7:11 PM
Movin' on up

So what the fuck.

Every other city in the Canadian section is getting a local section except Winnipeg?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 8:02 PM

I voted no. These days there just isn't enough happening in Winnipeg. In fact, I barely check this section - most of the time I'm looking at good stuff happening in Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 6:40 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Any more 'Peggers? I mean, Ottawa now has one...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 8:30 PM

I would vote yes, there seems to be plenty of folks from the 'Peg and there seems to be a fair number of topics about it. I'm not from Winnipeg though, so my vote doesn't really count.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 9:10 PM

Awww, c'mon. We're gonna be the only major city that doesn't have a local...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 9:16 PM

I say let's have one.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:12 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

This is going to be close. If a couple other 'Peggers are squeezed out to this topic here, then it's going to come down to just us sitting on a fence.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:28 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

what the hell can the none peggers votes not count?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:30 AM
Starring as himself

who cares who else has a "local"? We've got along quite well for the 5.5 years I've been here without one. What is the advantage supposed to be, other than that we get to prance around proclaiming that we've got this thing that we don't need?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:52 AM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
who cares who else has a "local"? We've got along quite well for the 5.5 years I've been here without one. What is the advantage supposed to be, other than that we get to prance around proclaiming that we've got this thing that we don't need?
Bingo

Flickr

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 5:04 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
If itom987 can vote, I don't see why you couldn't.

The proliferation of subforums means that very few people are able to keep up with anything outside their own city. It takes what was good about SSP and turns it upside down. Having 7 or 8 subforums for Winnipeg alone is going to fragment the discussion further. Maybe the next thing will be "SSP : Personal", where we each get our own subforum where we are the only person to post.

i agree...this entire forum is nowhere near as interesting as it used to be because it has been partitioned to death.....my participation level has dropped significantly (and i know many others have too) since the great division of the western canada section...that killed it.

the conversation is way less diverse and there are far fewer participants in every topic....there is practically no cross discussion between regions....this would only further that.

and besides, the manitoba/saskatchewan section is practically a winnipeg sub forum already...80% of the topics are winnipeg based.....why do we need a local when we already have one?

if we go to that system, you might as well shut this section down completely....when all the western provinces were together, threads used to move down quickly once the discussion was done...now they hang around forever without any change...there are threads on the first page of this sub forum that have not had a posting in more than 2 months....how does that keep our interest?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 4:49 PM

...but when we had the western Canada forum there was an equal on-going list of complaints from forumers who were unhappy with the fast thread disappearance and dominance by the larger cities. There were instances where threads were being started and they would disappear to the second page on the same day due to the activity of larger cities.

We're quick to forget such things, but nothing around here is done without its reasons.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:35 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i agree...this entire forum is nowhere near as interesting as it used to be because it has been partitioned to death.....my participation level has dropped significantly (and i know many others have too) since the great division of the western canada section...that killed it.

the conversation is way less diverse and there are far fewer participants in every topic....there is practically no cross discussion between regions....this would only further that.

and besides, the manitoba/saskatchewan section is practically a winnipeg sub forum already...80% of the topics are winnipeg based.....why do we need a local when we already have one?

if we go to that system, you might as well shut this section down completely....when all the western provinces were together, threads used to move down quickly once the discussion was done...now they hang around forever without any change...there are threads on the first page of this sub forum that have not had a posting in more than 2 months....how does that keep our interest?

agreed

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 6:22 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K. View Post
...but when we had the western Canada forum there was an equal on-going list of complaints from forumers who were unhappy with the fast thread disappearance and dominance by the larger cities. There were instances where threads were being started and they would disappear to the second page on the same day due to the activity of larger cities.

We're quick to forget such things, but nothing around here is done without its reasons.
if smaller centres disappeared quickly it is because there was nobody posting in those threads....now nobody posts in them but they hang around forever...how is that better?

most people from vancouver dont care about kelowna development...i doubt they care more now that they are separate....the threads will hang around longger, but not because of increased activity in them, but because the whole forum is dead.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 6:39 PM

That wasn't the case. I'm referring to the posts made by people even from larger centres like Vancouver that never really saw the light of day because two or three dozen other threads would be answered almost immediately after the disappearing thread would be posted. We even had people from Edmonton and Calgary complaining (even though it was mostly their threads that saw a lot of attention and bumped other threads off the radar) that their own threads, even though they had answers to questions/issues, were being bumped down too far down the list.

Regardless if a thread is popular or not it shouldn't disappear simply because nobody posted within the first few hours of it appearing. That was a real big issue that had to be dealt with and I honestly can't see how disregarding those situations but praising western Canada unity makes a whole lotta sense. Either we support everyone or we favour certain groups.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 7:19 AM
A long time gone

ok i voted no but actually wanted to vote yes (if my vote count as I'm not native)

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan