HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Brookfield Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Calgary Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 10:13 PM
Editor

One of the renderings I saw was from the view of the Calgary tower.....it looked spectacular. It gives the skyline perfect balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Well, the Calgary Tower still provides great views, and it still has a bar, right? It should also provide a fantastic view of the construction of this new project, and its end result.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 10:15 PM
Editor

I looked at the shadow studies also and there is the ability to add more height. If it were up to me, I would add 10 floors, and make it 66 floors, and increase the crown...just enough to make it over 1000'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post

I hope this Thread proposal goes ahead like many a one in T.O., whereby they get approved, and then get additionally approved for more height. Okay, give this baby the 247M, but then approve another 15M down the road. Come on, Calgary, you know you want it.... :>)

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 10:51 PM
Acey

How much variation is there between the 2 towers, other than height? Are the curves kinda opposite of each other like EAP?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 10:57 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

The towers are rectangular in their floorplate, the east tower orients E-W and the west tower is N-S.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the information Surreal and Bigtime. I wonder, have they used all of the available square footage? It seems like 2.8 million square feet would amount to more than what's described...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 3:46 AM

Are the two towers skinnier than the original proposal?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 5:26 AM

Surreal: So you've got a 1000' to work with eh? I agree with you on the extra floors. Maybe they'll add some height. We'll see what happens with the DP. And this baby is a year or so away yet... Ya never know!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 1:22 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I didn't come up yesterday when we were looking at the DP, but is there a chance that they could make the west tower taller?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 5:04 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

The first renderings are now released, looks like we'll need a diagram guy to take a crack at the new design:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...246/story.html

By Jason Markusoff, Calgary Herald December 1, 2012 7:37 AM

Calgary's skyline will again be redefined in a few years, with a new downtown skyscraper designed to stand even taller than the Bow.

Brookfield Properties submitted this week plans for a 56-storey, 247-metre tower to rise on the site of the former Herald building, along with a 178-metre similarly styled tower on the same block.

A stylized box whose edges curve and taper upward to its crown, it won't outshoot the Norman Foster-designed Bow for iconic architecture. But it will, by 11 metres, lay to rest the Encana/Cenovus highrise's bragging rights as tallest building in Western Canada.

The project, variously called "225 Sixth" and "Brookfield Place" in the development permit, replaces Brookfield's proposal for a simpler square tower at 1st Street and 7th Avenue S.W.

After the developer bought the parkade on the same block, it decided to do something more striking, said Jan Sucharda.

"This site is literally the centre of the downtown, so I think to be the tallest building in the city makes sense," said Sucharda, Brookfield's president for Canadian commercial operations.

The plan for 2.8 million square feet of new office space is a confident bet for the company that recently learned it is losing its anchor tenant at Fifth Avenue Place - Imperial Oil, headed for a southeast office park by 2016. Brookfield has just begun marketing the Imperial offices, but is hopeful it can find an occupant for the new project and open one or both towers by 2017.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 6:46 AM

These guys want the tallest in the city, fact. It's ironic but the Original Bow design was for 247 meters.... strange. I'd still like to see it in the 850 to 900 foot range. Reason: I dont't think if this is built that you'll see extremely large office buildings for probably 15-20 years, could be wrong and I hope I am. I think the use for large blocks of office space might be far lowerw than what they are currently. But who knows. Shoot for the Moon!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Surreal: So you've got a 1000' to work with eh? I agree with you on the extra floors. Maybe they'll add some height. We'll see what happens with the DP. And this baby is a year or so away yet... Ya never know!
That's what I'm hoping too, but as Bigtime said, it seems more likely that the west tower would get the extra height.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 11:52 PM

I am also hoping for a little more height. One floor should be enough to break that 250 metre mark. The Calgary Herald article mentioned that Brookfield did not want to take away from Calgary's new icon Bow building. With the plain design 11 metres is not going to take away from Sir Norman Foster's Bow building.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 8:11 AM

It's like there's no other architectural firms other than Foster.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 8:17 AM

Another Calgary highrise with a Mini-me, huh?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 2:08 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Another Calgary highrise with a Mini-me, huh?
Yup, all thanks to the "boom and bust" nature of the economy up here. Nobody willing to really go for it and give us a single 80-90 storey building instead. Phases are what it's all about.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Yup, all thanks to the "boom and bust" nature of the economy up here. Nobody willing to really go for it and give us a single 80-90 storey building instead. Phases are what it's all about.
Hey, as long as the phased projects are getting taller and taller!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 5:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

renders look stellar. wow, Calgary is getting taller by the day.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 9:37 PM

I Can hear them ripping at the guts of the old Herald Building. Picture of how it looks today.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 5:49 AM

is it approved

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:52 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Just a note (and perhaps Surrealplaces or Bokimon can confirm) but I'm pretty sure the DP had the floor count at 57, not 56 as in the thread title.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive