HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Tower at PNC Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Pittsburgh Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
^ considering all the attention about it being the first big building constructed in a very long time in Pittsburgh, the "Tower" at PNC Plaza is rather anticlimactic.

If you're calling something the "Tower" and hyping it up, don't significantly decease it's height twice and still keep the name.
Was the height significantly decreased twice? I don't think so. In the beginning PNC ommitted height information until the final design was complete. The web site said approximately 30 stories and the tower has 33 floors. We always knew this building would stand shoulder to shoulder with K&L Gates Center.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 1:20 AM
I like your Kitties

We need a 1000 footer downtown. It would make a good impact on the skyline. Back to topic. To everyone who's complaining how tall the building is going to be-it is going to be one of the tallest building built downtown and the tallest built in recent history. Don't complain, it already is having a nice impact on the skyline and I bet everyone of you will be pleased when it is finished.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 4:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Was the height significantly decreased twice? I don't think so. In the beginning PNC ommitted height information until the final design was complete. The web site said approximately 30 stories and the tower has 33 floors. We always knew this building would stand shoulder to shoulder with K&L Gates Center.
Initially, estimates from PNC were that it would be 40 stories and 600 feet. Redesigns brought that down to 33 and the 550s in height, and now gensler lists it as 545. However, I'm not sure it will even reach that.

And no, we did not always know that it would be shoulder to shoulder with k&l gates. That's false. The second round of renderings from gensler (the one where it is silvery white in the skyline -- do a search, it's real easy to find)had it nearing the height of PPG.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 3:17 PM

K & L Gates tops off at 511 feet. The second round of renderings of Tower at PNC look to be in the 545 range. I agree the way it looks now that it may be in the 530-535 range. Of course, we have to see when all the the cladding for the roof is completed. That may bring it closer to 545. One thing that kind of bothers me is that with proposals for Tower at PNC and 350 Fifth, both second round of renderings came in shorter rather than taller. This is kind of deflating for those who want more height in the Downtown skyline. I would prefer it to be vice versa. I could see a strategy in certain neighborhoods where a developer would make a proposal for a building taller then the developer actually expects to be a approved due to to Nimbys, neighborhood groups etc. Then come back with a proposal with a height the developer actually needs to call the bluff of the Nimbys. That is not the case in the Golden Triangle. That is why it is disappointing.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 6:01 PM

T.O. Solar Chimney is 544'-6". With the slant of the Solar Chimney, it will make the building look shorter at different angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer3d712 View Post
It's getting close.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 8:54 PM

From Last Thursday

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 5:21 AM
Eurosceptic

Great photos, Duck!

Here's a photo the Tribune-Review took from the top of the US Steel Building:

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/6...own-tour-tower

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Great photos, Duck!

Here's a photo the Tribune-Review took from the top of the US Steel Building:

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/6...own-tour-tower
Thanks man. It's always a pleasure visiting the greatest city in the world. Awesome view from on top of the U.S. Steel Tower! I wish I could get up there.

Here's one I forgot to post from earlier this month:

And one from early July:

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 12:09 AM
I like your Kitties

Have they finished the atrium or no? No updates for a month now

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 3:37 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Photo from last Sunday, taken about 6:50am watching the sun come up after dancing at the club all night. :p

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 12:08 AM

Rt. 28 has the best unobstructed view of this building. The Tower @ PNC Plaza sits directly in the middle of downtown. From Rt. 28 the framing for the crown appears complete.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Photo from last Sunday, taken about 6:50am watching the sun come up after dancing at the club all night. :p

Great picture! Where is this taken from? Is it a public park? I'm returning to Pittsburgh next Summer for the first time in a decade and always looking for good areas to view skylines!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 3:41 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Great picture! Where is this taken from? Is it a public park? I'm returning to Pittsburgh next Summer for the first time in a decade and always looking for good areas to view skylines!
Grandview Avenue, Mt Washington and yes it's public. It is a couple miles long with at least 3 huge overlook platforms and many great vantage points.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 1:22 AM
Everywhere all at once

Honestly, I don't know how Pittsburgh is not more well-known and popular as a destination to live and visit. Settings like that alone are something to be coveted, not to mention the massive amount of historic neighborhoods and landmarks, decent public transit, spectacular natural setting, and it's history as one of America's great industrial hubs.

I don't think it'd be outrageous for the city to advertise some to try and drive tourism. It's a highly underrated place from what I can see.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 1:19 AM

Incredible picture Austinlee. Pittsburgh is looking real nice.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
Honestly, I don't know how Pittsburgh is not more well-known and popular as a destination to live and visit. Settings like that alone are something to be coveted, not to mention the massive amount of historic neighborhoods and landmarks, decent public transit, spectacular natural setting, and it's history as one of America's great industrial hubs.

I don't think it'd be outrageous for the city to advertise some to try and drive tourism. It's a highly underrated place from what I can see.
Nice, little city. My only beef was that the downtown was pretty dead, barren at night, but decent nightlife not too, too far away.

Where does this tower fit in from PNC Park - and this viewpoint?

[IMG]534862_2971041197420_1427758304_n by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Nice, little city. My only beef was that the downtown was pretty dead, barren at night, but decent nightlife not too, too far away.

Where does this tower fit in from PNC Park - and this viewpoint?

[IMG]534862_2971041197420_1427758304_n by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
It'll pop up behind Reed Smith. (The blue-ish green newer looking building above the red xfinity add.)

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 2:31 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Incredible picture Austinlee. Pittsburgh is looking real nice.
1.) Agreed

2.) & Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 2:32 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

View from what appears to be the Wabash Tunnel entrance

Photo: Caulin Grant
http://www.popcitymedia.com/

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 11:11 AM

Taken last week from street level on a nice day (you can click through for higher res versions):

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive