HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

181 Fremont in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 12:49 AM
She needs her space

Just so everyone knows, they have cleared the site of all machinery/equipment except for that Malcom crane and several excavators. They have also begun digging and have actually made progress. This seems like it will be a quick excavation, and I sure hope so!

I'm getting really pumped now!!!

Caissons already set, financing in place, excavation commenced, this thing will see steel by year end. And can't wait for that super duper crane they keep talking about that can only be found elsewhere in NYC.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 5:29 AM

^yea for some reason this one excites me even more than SF Tower.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 6:37 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Same here. For me it's the architecture, which I find compelling in a way that I just don't feel with Salesforce. I can't wait for this one to rise.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 7:36 AM

In light of this news, I revisited this spectacular steelblue video and thought others might want to do so as well:

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 6:27 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Same here. For me it's the architecture, which I find compelling in a way that I just don't feel with Salesforce. I can't wait for this one to rise.
And it's by Heller Manus, of all firms on the face of the Earth--if they pull this off as it appears, they will finally have done something great!!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 7:28 PM
She needs her space

Steel or concrete construction though?

Steel will get that office space delivered faster, but then there's the resi component which is formed from concrete 99.9% of the time. I've never seen a mixture...does anyone know?

I really hope it's steel, not sure I have the patience to watch 800 ft of concrete rise.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Steel or concrete construction though?
It's apparently going to be all steel (no mention of structural concrete):

Quote:
The structure is proposed to be constructed as a steel‐frame building, built atop a mat foundation with approximately 60 steel piles. Excavation for the five basement levels and the foundation would extend to approximately 64 feet below street grade, which is necessary in order to be at the same depth as the adjacent train box, and would require removal of approximately 36,000 cubic yards of soil. The steel piles would extend approximately 150 feet below the bottom of the mat foundation to bedrock.
With the small footprint, it'll be fun to see this one rise rapidly next year.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 12:23 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
And it's by Heller Manus, of all firms on the face of the Earth--if they pull this off as it appears, they will finally have done something great!!
I know. I've been critical of much of their work over the years, but you have to hand it to them: they hit it out of the park on this one.

minesweeper: that's the answer I was hoping for (good question, simms).

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I have a feeling you guys will change your minds once these towers are *actually* built. This is a nice tower, but c'mon, the Pelli tower is going to dominate.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 5:04 AM

The back of the site (furthest from Fremont) looks as though it is already 12-15 feet below street level. The front of the site is about 8-10 feet down. The blue crane still appears to be close to street level at the corner of Fremont and the Transbay Terminal. I'm not sure if it will be able to stay there or how they will eventually excavate that corner of the site.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 7:57 PM
She needs her space

^^^They've closed of a larger portion of Fremont so that the crane can stay. It is resting on the street/curb/sidewalk now, not the site that is being excavated.

But yes, they are not working round the clock, but they are excavating really quickly. This hole should be dug out by mid-late September, at this rate. It feels awkward talking about excavation when this is already "under construction"...feels like steps are a little backwards here, haha.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 6:02 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Major progress, it looks almost complete:

Dumb jokes aside, here are some images for those who haven't been by the site lately:

A slightly different look to get a little more of the surrounding area:

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 5:48 AM

They're working around the clock on this one, the Salesforce cam shows the site all lit up:

Construction Cam

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:27 AM

Has anyone been by the site lately? From the webcam, it appears to be 30-40 feet deep already (more than halfway excavated?), and crews have just placed the second (lower) level of the waler system.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 11:55 PM
She needs her space

^^Yes.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 9:06 PM
She needs her space

Latest Bisnow mentions that "developer excavating to 60 ft" to be complete by mid-November, then mat foundation to be poured and steel visible above grade after Jan 1.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 8:09 AM
She needs her space

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 5:22 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Latest Bisnow mentions that "developer excavating to 60 ft" to be complete by mid-November, then mat foundation to be poured and steel visible above grade after Jan 1.
That will make for a very Happy New Year. Thanks for all the updates, simms.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 5:16 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

S.F. developer cuts deal for break on affordable-unit rule

By J.K. Dineen
sfgate
Monday, October 20, 2014

The developer of a 52-story Transbay district high-rise has cut a deal with the city to pay $13.85 million to avoid including 11 below-market-rate condominiums in what will become the highest condo tower west of the Mississippi River.

The payment, $1.26 million per unit, shows how much luxury builders in San Francisco are willing to shell out to circumvent housing laws with affordable-housing requirements — 15 percent in the case of the neighborhood around the Transbay Transit Center. Legislation is required to make the deal happen.

Proponents of the deal, which include Supervisor Jane Kim and Mayor Ed Lee, say the building at 181 Fremont St. represents a unique situation because the first 37 floors will be office space. In a neighborhood where views drive values, all of 181 Fremont’s units will have multimillion-dollar vistas of the bay and the city’s iconic bridges.

Matt Lituchy, chief investment officer for the builder, the Jay Paul Co., said the fee is “something that makes sense for this particular project.”

“What is unique here is we are only building 67 units, the lowest of which will be 500 feet above the ground,” Lituchy said.

San Francisco has a complex set of affordable-housing requirements that vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. In general, developers have three choices: They can make a certain percentage of on-site units “affordable,” pay a fee based on the number of units or build a separate below-market-rate project within a mile of the project. In the case of the Transbay district, fees are not allowed — the law requires on-site affordable units.

While the fees generate money for affordable housing, the city has been increasingly pushing on-site construction to create more economically diverse neighborhoods. But the case of 181 Fremont St. shows that the city’s affordable housing requirements don’t always work well for super-luxury for-sale condos, said Kim, who is sponsoring the legislation that would allow the 181 Fremont St. deal to go forward despite the neighborhood rule.

HOA fees

While the city controls the prices of below-market-rate units — typically setting the purchase price at 33 to 35 percent of family income — state real estate laws require all homeowners to be assessed full homeowners’ fees whether they paid full price for their condo or bought it through a city BMR program. In the case of 181 Fremont St., the homeowner association dues, which residents pay to cover building maintenance, security, operations and common spaces — will start at $2,000 a month.

“The HOA fees have been super-challenging for the BMR owners in Mission Bay and South Beach,” said Kim, who represents the district. “The challenge for those people has not been the mortgage but the HOA fees. It’s been a huge problem.”

Olson Lee, who heads the Mayor’s Office of Housing, said the HOA burden is the main factor in allowing the fee.
The Jay Paul Co.’s $13.85million fee would bankroll about 68 units at an affordable project in the Transbay district. That is a much better deal for the city than an uber-chic tower with a few middle-class families struggling to pay the HOA fees, said Don Falk, who heads the Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corp., a nonprofit developer of affordable housing.
Possible precedent

The 181 Fremont fee could set a precedent for other deluxe towers, Kim said, including 75 Howard St., which would replace a 550-car garage with a 31-story residential tower. Currently, the affordable-housing fee the city charges developers is about $350,000 for a two-bedroom unit — that is a far cry from the $1.26 million per-unit Jay Paul is set to pay.

“What we are charging is vastly under what a luxury developer can pay,” Kim said. “It doesn’t make a lot of sense to charge the same amount to a luxury tower on the water as we do to an 18-unit project in the Excelsior.”

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 4:42 PM
Only Mostly Dead

$1.26M per unit. Damn. Imagine how much each unit is going to sell for to cover that, not to mention all the other costs associated with building this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive