HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 2:51 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Nanaimo Chinatown

Nanaimo business owner aims to establish a new Chinatown along Terminal Avenue

http://www.nanaimodailynews.com/nana...venue-1.541714

I think this is a great idea. Especially if the hotel proposal from the chinese tourism company brings in lots of chinese tourists. I would love to see a Chinatown in Nanaimo.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 5:48 PM

Would this be the world's first Chinatown to be "built"? All others just developed on their own didn't they?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 9:44 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Would this be the world's first Chinatown to be "built"? All others just developed on their own didn't they?
Good question. I know Calgary's chinatown is it's 3rd location, so I guess in theory the first one just formed, but then the 2nd and current were 'built' by a group of Chinese business men.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 6:53 PM

Duncan had a Chinatown in the early 1900's through to the mid-20th century. Many of the building facades were moved to the Whippletree Junction commercial development along HWY 1 south of Duncan.

Victoria's Chinatown is of course the oldest in the country but by the mid-20th century Chinatown become just another non-descript part of downtown Victoria's "old town" district with lots of Chinese businesses and residents moving out of the area. Several decades ago City Hall and the business community began taking steps to revive the district and bring Chinese businesses back into what had traditionally been "Chinatown." The area is now a thriving commercial and residential hub that stands on its own.

So the question of whether or not a Chinatown can be built or whether it requires a natural evolution isn't an easy one to answer. Obviously creating an ethnic community of any sort requires buy-in from that community, but if Nanaimo's envisioned Chinatown area already has the foundation required for a formal designation to be successful then I say go for it. But if it's purely a marketing gimmick then it could become a kitschy district that falls short.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 5:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Good question. I know Calgary's chinatown is it's 3rd location, so I guess in theory the first one just formed, but then the 2nd and current were 'built' by a group of Chinese business men.
I visited Calgary's chinatown years ago and was surprised at how young many of the buildings were especially since I had spent time in Victoria and Vancouver's chinatowns which are filled with 19th century buildings so it didn't feel like a real chinatown to me. It's too bad that Nanaimo's real chinatown burned down but trying to create one now seems a bit pretentious to me. It died. Let it rest in peace.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I didn't know that, where were the first 2?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 10:19 PM
BANNED

In Chinatown

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 3:32 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I didn't know that, where were the first 2?
Rather than fill this thread with Calgary history, I posted it in the calgary heritage thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=296

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia