HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 5:41 PM

^uh yeah, have you ever paid attention to the makeup of the vehicles on our roads? I would say half or a little more are SUVs or trucks. No offense if you have one of those but you would think more "liberal, progressive" Austinites would care about our air quality a little more.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 9:12 PM
Meh

Having good public transportation that everyone uses shouldn't be about shaming them into using it. It should be used by everyone because of how easy and convenient it is, and safe. They should look at the traffic in disgust and prefer an easier alternative. I don't even care if people still drive some. There are just some places you have to go where you're going need a car or some errands that are going to require one. Plus, it's ok to drive sometimes, but we do need a good alternative to relying on cars for transportation so we can ease traffic congestion and not have to constantly rely on cars for it.

My paternal grandfather rarely drove. My dad's side of the family is from Germany. My grandfather had a brand new Chevy Bel Air back in the 60s, and it just sat in the driveway all the time. My mom said he went down to the dealership, bought the car, had my uncle drive him home in it, and he never drove it again. My grandfather worked on the UT campus. He walked to the bus stop every day from his house in South Austin, and then took the bus into work and back. And this was back in the late 50s to late 60s when much of South Austin was still mostly rural in spots. All of my aunts and uncles and oldest cousins also took the bus in their youth. My oldest aunt on my dad's side of the family didn't get her driver's license or a car until she was nearly 40 years old. By that time she had already been in the US for nearly 25 years. They all grew up in an urban environment that allowed them to use public transportation. My grandfather also rode his bicycle to work in Germany and relied on it for errands. My cousin says he probably rode his bicycle 50 miles a day. And they had 4 kids at the time, so it wasn't like he was some young guy with no worries or responsibilities.

Now a generation removed from that time, and nearly everyone, even young people, rely on cars. It's not even so much because of our built environment, although, sidewalks are a must even if you don't have dense housing. As long as you have sidewalks, bike lanes and public transportation, you can still get around without a car. People aren't going to walk or take the bus if those situations are sketchy. Americans have become born into comfy environments where they expect a certain level of convenience. Unfortunately some areas, even inside the city, don't suggest that it's safe to walk.

By the way, the talk of fuel efficient trucks reminded me of something I read recently - Ford makes aluminum-bodied F-150 in factory Henry Ford built.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
The problem with driverless cars is that they cannot be implemented on any roadway alongside driven cars. It has to be all or nothing. This means we're surely many decades away from large scale adoption of them, if they'll ever be utilized on any widespread basis whatsoever. I just don't see it.
Well, the flip phone is about 25 years old and the first digital "flip" designs were released about 20 years ago. The first flip phone cost about $2500 in 1989 dollars. Today it's hard to even buy a non-smartphone.

I think driver-less cars technology is about where cell phones were around 1980. They exist but most people haven't seen or driven one, they are very expensive and the technology is still not perfect.

Like most technology, driver-less cars will arrive and be the new thing for a while, then we'll all have them. Kids today don't know how to look up information without Google. Kids tomorrow may not learn how to drive.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Jeff View Post
Well, the flip phone is about 25 years old and the first digital "flip" designs were released about 20 years ago. The first flip phone cost about $2500 in 1989 dollars. Today it's hard to even buy a non-smartphone.

I think driver-less cars technology is about where cell phones were around 1980. They exist but most people haven't seen or driven one, they are very expensive and the technology is still not perfect.

Like most technology, driver-less cars will arrive and be the new thing for a while, then we'll all have them. Kids today don't know how to look up information without Google. Kids tomorrow may not learn how to drive.
The difference is, when your cell phone drops your call, no one dies.

The safety and liability issues are inevitably going to slow down the production and adoption of driverless cars. Of course it will happen eventually, but not nearly as quick as phones/computers.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 2:36 AM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...n-one-way.html
Quote:
Austin plans big changes for some downtown one-way streets
Dec 3, 2014, 8:18am CST

Michael Theis
Digital Editor-
Austin Business Journal

Major changes to Austin's downtown traffic flow are in the planning stages, as city officials prepare to switch Seventh, Eighth, Brazos and Colorado Streets from one-way thoroughfares into two-way streets, according to the Austin Monitor.

First up is Brazos Street, from Cesar Chavez to Sixth streets, scheduled to be flipped to two-way in January 2015. Brazos Street between Sixth and 11th streets would be flipped sometime in 2016.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I don't mind the Colorado change as its under used as a South only direction.

As for Brazos its such a short distance I'm not sure it will have a huge impact but it may.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 4:04 AM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne....html?page=all
Quote:
Historic Austin City Council meeting: Lone Star Rail deal OK'd
Dec 12, 2014, 8:08am CST UPDATED: Dec 12, 2014, 8:26am CST

Michael Theis
Digital Editor-
Austin Business Journal

Property tax revenue from areas around the proposed Lone Star Rail District stations in Austin can now be set aside to fund the long-planned Georgetown to San Antonio commuter rail line, reports the Austin Monitor.

Under the agreement, the city will now hold up to half of the property tax revenue growth from the base valuation as of Jan. 1, 2013 from areas near planned Lone Star Rail stations in Austin to fund the train line.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 4:24 PM
Honored Member

Angelos Angelou, veteran Austin economics analyst and prognosticator, says we need a subway/metro rail system:
Quote:
"I think we need to be looking at a Subway and Metro, not light rail, so you can get from one place to another very quickly."
http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local...2016/20928961/
This is very encouraging, to see someone with that type of influence thinking big about solutions that could actually work for many years to come, rather than playing around with slow, ineffectual little toys (AKA light rail.) My final decision to vote no on proposition 1 came down to this issue, that I didn't want to see the city throwing its scarce infrastructure funding at a project that didn't even begin to get serious about really handling the needs of the current residents of this booming city, not to mention the 2 million+ that will be added to current population in a mere 2 or 3 decades.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 7:43 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Angelos Angelou, veteran Austin economics analyst and prognosticator, says we need a subway/metro rail system:
This is very encouraging, to see someone with that type of influence thinking big about solutions that could actually work for many years to come, rather than playing around with slow, ineffectual little toys (AKA light rail.) My final decision to vote no on proposition 1 came down to this issue, that I didn't want to see the city throwing its scarce infrastructure funding at a project that didn't even begin to get serious about really handling the needs of the current residents of this booming city, not to mention the 2 million+ that will be added to current population in a mere 2 or 3 decades.

Subway will never happen. Start thinking about other options. The cost per rider is astronomically higher than light rail and there is not a surplus for transportation funds. The new council will not be raising taxes to support more money either. Also, there is a reason many major metros have been building light rail in the last 30 years and not subways.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Subway will never happen. Start thinking about other options. The cost per rider is astronomically higher than light rail and there is not a surplus for transportation funds. The new council will not be raising taxes to support more money either. Also, there is a reason many major metros have been building light rail in the last 30 years and not subways.
"Never" is a very, very long time. Austin, assuming it continues to grow and prosper, will probably have a subway system through the center of the city sometime down the road. My guess is that it will be a light rail system that merges into an underground tunnel that services the center of the city. It is the only viable long term solution to a growing congestion problem.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 11:38 PM

I like the thinking. Light rail will never pass not be effective. We can't take lanes away in Austin. Build above or below and it will get used well because of the immense value proposition. Pair it with commuter rail and we may have a long term way to balance mobility.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 7:59 AM
Everywhere all at once

I wonder if Austin should look further into something along the lines of what Honolulu is building, except partially underground. It's essentially a type of system that falls in between light and heavy rail. Some call it a "light metro" ...it's modern, can be fully automated (like the Honolulu system), and may pack more of a punch in the eyes of city residents and voters. A contemporary system for a contemporary city.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 8:45 PM
Meh

Honestly, I've given up on Austin voters. I think gas will have to be a persistent $8 to $10 a gallon to effect change.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else. - Winston Churchill.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 8:56 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Honestly, I've given up on Austin voters. I think gas will have to be a persistent $8 to $10 a gallon to effect change.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else. - Winston Churchill.
So true ^^^ add to that or when they finally realize they have to but it's too late for it to do any good.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 8:57 PM

You can take a Texan out of his truck, but you can't take the truck out of a Texan.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 9:36 PM
Meh

The thing is, it's ok if people still drive, but there has to be an alternative. And it should be encouraged for people to take mass transit when they're commuting. I see so many single occupant commuters on I-35 and Mopac and elsewhere. I know that a pickup is still necessary for some trips. I dare you to carry some lumber on the train or the bus. And I personally have never strapped any lumber to my bicycle. haha People flip out when they hear anything about mass transit and think it means they'll be banned from driving, when what it's really about is giving people an alternative to having to drive and sit in traffic. We're Americans, we should love the idea of the freedom to choose which method we use for transportation. Some seem to think one will automatically cancel out the other or prohibit it, and that's just not true.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 10:10 PM

If someone has an option to get where they want to go in 20 min vs 60 min without being inundated with bums they will take it.

The challenge is that to make that choice an option you need dedicated right of way and you can't take away car lanes and it needs to serve both suburban and urban neighborhoods.

That's why a sub and metro system (bound by the same bond/funding mechanism) makes good sense. Maybe it's elevated but I can't imagine voters going for that... So sub is the only real option.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 1:30 AM

Quote:

I agree on the voters. Maybe if the train/tram was some huge gas-guzzling eyesore it would get voted through.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 2:55 AM
Meh

Light rail, which needs dedicated lanes, would be a problem for that reason. I was thinking more of metro rail which would connect Austin with the suburbs on heavy rail and would alleviate traffic on our highways and city streets. Also, that habit of taking mass transit to get into Austin and out, might be carried over to taking the bus or light rail inside Austin once they've gotten used to using mass transit.

I doubt Austinites care much about what the system looks like as long as the price is right. Subways are out of sight, but they're expensive.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 5:43 AM

What Austin needs is a "multimodal" transit system. Each corridor needs to be evaluated individually, and if different transit modes suffice, then that's what they should build.

CapMetro owns railroad corridors, use commuter rail on them. Lone Star is proposing commuter rail on the MoPac (UP) tracks, use commuter rail on it. That gets commuter trains heading south, east, and north twice.

CapMetro already has rapid bus twice in both the north and south directions. Maybe a few more could be added in the east to west direction?

Then some sort of circulator is needed in the central core of Austin, which the citizens of Austin have voted no to both "at grade" urban and light rail systems. Maybe this circulator needs to be "above or below grade" for the voters to pass it?

A short subway or aerial guideway circulator system will not be as expensive as a longer, system wide, all the same, unified project. How about a monorail circulator, north to Keeton, west to Guadalupe, south to Chavez, east to Trinity? If UT objects to the monorail on campus, use MLK instead.

They need to get the costs down for there to be any chance it will pass in a referendum. I believe "sticker shock" is one of the major reasons the past referendums have failed. Spend a little extra in the central core, spend as little as possible elsewhere I believe is the path that will pass.

Last edited by electricron; Dec 30, 2014 at 6:21 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin