Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 8:18 AM
Baryonic Lord

nice

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 11:06 AM
let's work together

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
The freedom tower is located downtown and downtown is not shown in that picture. It would be nice if someone could get a similar pano showing both skylines.

STR, where are you?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
The freedom tower is located downtown and downtown is not shown in that picture. It would be nice if someone could get a similar pano showing both skylines.
This one is a couple years old but eitherway there has not been a dramatic change in the skyline of Lower Manhattan. ( Yet) Though the western edge will dramatically change this in the next coming years.

Only a small amount is cut off at the far right of this panorama, UrbanImpact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
You can talk all you want about "optically distorted size", but it simply is not valid here. Just take a ride on the BQE towards Greenpoint over the Kosciuszko Bridge and look off to your right... you'd probably think you were seeing an optical illusion due to the seemingly impossible view your eyes are perceiving. Really, if you're in NYC, take a cab, borrow/rent a car... it's worth it.

Incredible theory about the picture being distorted to make objects appear larger than they are. Trust me I come in contact with this view from around Queens Boulevard, and the Triboro every week this picture does no justice to what it looks like in reality.
Now the views from the WhiteStone of this certain view (Midtown looking west from Long Island) make you feel......... (.) <~~~ That big. One of the most mind blowing locations to view Midtown Manhattan.

Ya know thin "pencil towers" built on hills must make them look larger than they really are. - Just a thought.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 11:44 PM

Thats so cool. I only witch them twins where still there. always wanted to go see them and now i can't.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 12:49 AM

Upper East Side:

The Upper East Side really must escape one's mind and it really isn't hard to blame them since most shots people see on here don't include that view from the east. The midtown view from the Hudson River is far more popular. Many shots here do not include this area that is very much so connected to Midtown. The bulk of the skyline really doesn't end at 59th. It pretty much begins at Madison Square and runs well into the East 90's.

While it is not significantly beautiful or dynamic it is quite dense

Easily connected to the bulk of Midtown

No there aren't any 800 and 900 ft. towers dominating up there but it really isn't too shabby

btw much of the area is cut off in that shot^^

Here is an aerial of the area:

and the skyline from Madison Square on up into uptown and the east 90's even Spuyten-Duyville in the Bronx from what I think is Broad Channel in Queens? I guess trick photography is used in this one as well..

Hope that helps for some of you guys who never take the Upper East Side into consideration with the whole Skyline.

Hope you all have a very happy and healthy and SAFE New Year's Eve.. see ya in 07'

-Gia

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 12:56 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Damn nyg1, those are amazing shots. Thanks for showin' off your city in such an impressive way.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 3:35 AM

Awesome pics everyone!!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 2:26 PM
RePpiN GR sTreeTz !

Here are the 3 from my stockpile, I only took the first one. Credit to whomever took the others. I think u all have seen the third already.

-FerrariEnzo is the coolest forumer ever.

[>>]-Grand Rapids Boom Rundown-[<<]

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 4:29 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Awesome Pano!!!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 5:33 PM
RePpiN GR sTreeTz !

Wheres the ones some dude took from about 1 mile south of the george washington bridge? Its a niiiiice zoom into midtown, and its real wide, all at night.

-FerrariEnzo is the coolest forumer ever.

[>>]-Grand Rapids Boom Rundown-[<<]

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 11:50 PM

Talking

HK is nothing next to my city... NYC!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
You can talk all you want about "optically distorted size", but it simply is not valid here. Just take a ride on the BQE towards Greenpoint over the Kosciuszko Bridge and look off to your right... you'd probably think you were seeing an optical illusion due to the seemingly impossible view your eyes are perceiving. Really, if you're in NYC, take a cab, borrow/rent a car... it's worth it.
Agreed absolutely. This is no optical illusion. My father-in-law lives in Queens and I have seen this view many times when visiting. You are absolutely right, you just cannot believe what you are seeing ... and I've been to all of the very largest US cities.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 1:47 AM

Just Amazing!!!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 6:04 PM
D-Block 5 Star General

HK is ok but NY is the only place in the world where you can find 1,000 ft art deco skyscrapers.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiel_23_7 View Post
HK is nothing next to my city... NYC!

What a ridiculous thing to say. I do not mean to be disrespectful ammiel but that is ridiculous.

Jularcs pano pic is superb. The panorama is wonderful but it is essentially a middle rise pano. Look at how the ESB dominates. The Chrysler disappears because it is not really a 300 metre building and is reliant on its spire for its official height but the spire disappears at that level distance The Times building will help of course but I advise you to wait a few years until NYC actually has a handful of real skyscrapers - like the ones HK and CHI have - before blowing your trumpet.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 10:44 AM

And why are you so upset at him?

Can't you see he was saying it in fun?

Are you that bothered by what he said?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
And why are you so upset at him?

Can't you see he was saying it in fun?

Are you that bothered by what he said?
I'm not upset at HIM personally. I did point that out.

I am simply refuting the suggestion he made which is objectively ridiculous. Believe me I've made my share of them !!!!

Essentially my point is that midtowm lacks true height compared to CHI or HK nad this is a problem if it is being puffed as THE skyline. It has much going for it. I like it personally but in CHI or HK the ESB would not dominate as it does.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 10:56 AM

Well then, that brings up the argument on whether height alone is the determining factor for the best skylines.

While Midtown may not have the most supertalls, it excels in the density department and that to some people makes it impressive.

I would agree with those people.

You've got to remember that New York could very easily had the supertalls that HK has now but they just did not see the need to show off like that.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Well then, that brings up the argument on whether height alone is the determining factor for the best skylines.

While Midtown may not have the most supertalls, it excels in the density department and that to some people makes it impressive.

I would agree with those people.

You've got to remember that New York could very easily had the supertalls that HK has now but they just did not see the need to show off like that.

I totally take the point about density and I don't for a moment deny NY is impressive but skyline per se is not about density but rather outline if you follow me. EG CHI looks better in skyline ( IMO ) but from abobve Manhattan is better than CHI. I don't know if you would agree but you see my point?

Perhaps HK is "showing off" perhaps it is responding to land shortage and economic boom but what you say of NY could be said of any major city. Paris, London, Tokyo - none of whom have supertalls - could have supertalls if it chose to "show off". Anyone can builld them provided the money is there. My point is that CHI and HK HAVE them. NY pre 2012 doesn't.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 6:42 PM
A42251

Would it be fair to criticise a deficancy of supertalls in Chicago or HK if terrorists destroyed Sears and JHC or 2IFC and the Bank of China? I didn't think so.

So some of y'all need to stop knocking NY for not having enough 1,000 footers.

Give NY about five or six years and it will completely blow away every other skyline there is, if it doesn't already.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos