HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 6:21 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

The Alaskan Way viaduct tunnel was already, at 52 feet in diameter, the largest bored tunnel ever constructed on earth. It ran into a myriad number of problems not the least of which was that the thing broke down partially due to its size and required 2 1/2 billion dollars to dig it out just so they can re-launch it. Building an even larger tunnel is not only completely unnecessary for a city Portlands size to have the largest tunnel in the world, but would introduce major risk in such a project and would also drain Oregon‘s transportation budget for the next 50 years at the state level and possibly even federal matching dollars.

And as much as I hate sitting in traffic when I occasionally have to drive to Hillsboro, I don’t think spending billions of dollars for a roadway tunnel of a mile and a half under downtown Portland is the best use of funds… Particularly when you know it’s going to be tolled a significant amount, it’s not gonna serve nearly as many people as a train line could. A highway tunnel under downtown Portland will essentially be a gold plated roadway for wealthy commuters.

Maybe get The Boring Compamy to build a privately funded hyper loop for you.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 5:41 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
The Alaskan Way viaduct tunnel was already, at 52 feet in diameter, the largest bored tunnel ever constructed on earth. It ran into a myriad number of problems not the least of which was that the thing broke down partially due to its size and required 2 1/2 billion dollars to dig it out just so they can re-launch it. Building an even larger tunnel is not only completely unnecessary for a city Portlands size to have the largest tunnel in the world, but would introduce major risk in such a project and would also drain Oregon‘s transportation budget for the next 50 years at the state level and possibly even federal matching dollars.

And as much as I hate sitting in traffic when I occasionally have to drive to Hillsboro, I don’t think spending billions of dollars for a roadway tunnel of a mile and a half under downtown Portland is the best use of funds… Particularly when you know it’s going to be tolled a significant amount, it’s not gonna serve nearly as many people as a train line could. A highway tunnel under downtown Portland will essentially be a gold plated roadway for wealthy commuters.

Maybe get The Boring Compamy to build a privately funded hyper loop for you.
If the city and state ever get to the point to wanting to do a serious tunnel route under the downtown, I would hope it would be for underground light rail.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
If the city and state ever get to the point to wanting to do a serious tunnel route under the downtown, I would hope it would be for underground light rail.
This + a dozen doughnuts. Building hyper-expensive road infrastructure is counterproductive to climate goals.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Joint venture selected for Burnside Bridge replacement

Multnomah County recently selected the construction team for the $895 million Earthquake Ready Burnside Bridge project to replace the 97-year-old span with one that can withstand a major earthquake.

Burnside Bridge Partners will be the construction team; it’s a joint venture featuring Stacy and Witbeck, Traylor Bros., and American Bridge Co. The team will use the construction manager/general contractor (CM/GC) delivery method and begin work in December.

The team members have extensive experience with CM/GC delivery, construction of technically challenging and signature bridges, and have demonstrated dedication to diversity and equity in both subcontracting and workforce development in previous projects, a spokesperson for Multnomah County stated.
...continues at the DJC ($).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 8:07 PM
A before E

Is this the design they decided on?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 8:33 PM

Quote:
The CM/GC team for design through construction hasn't really begun designing, as far as I understand it. A high level breakdown of the schedule is here:

https://www.multco.us/earthquake-rea...e/design-phase

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Not exactly, but it seems likely they're going to wind up either a tied arch or a cable-stayed bridge at the east span, a bascule for the center span, and a girder at the west span. Between the tied arch and cable-stayed it looks like the tied arch is less expensive, so most likely it will wind up looking something like that rendering.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 9:53 PM
BANNED

Hopefully this is a very prominent design. One recognized around the country. This location is just to perfect for it not to be

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 8:50 PM

Bridge designer Beam Architecture has joined the design team.
https://www.beam-architects.com/projects/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
Bridge designer Beam Architecture has joined the design team.
https://www.beam-architects.com/projects/
Well that's a good sign... they have designed some stunning bridges around the world.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 9:44 PM

Presentation to the Urban Design Panel by Beam.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The presentation was very successful, I think. Appreciate their contextual thinking, although some of it was a bit off the mark.

I am very excited to see what they will come up with!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks. They're clearly doing their best with the lousy hand they've been dealt. The design constraints essentially preclude an aesthetically pleasing, coherent structure.

I do wonder how much of the east bank constraint is driven by ODOT/BNSF not wanting to deal with construction impacts and how much is actually driven by liquefaction concerns. In theory it should be possible to get a deep foundation below the liquifiable soil. The Interstate Bridge is going to be dealing with the same issues.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 7:59 PM

IDK, I think the asymmetric layout creates some really interesting opportunities for the designers.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 8:55 PM

I'd be happy to be proven wrong. There have been some very cool asymmetric bridges built. Here it's the combination of the bulky bascules with the asymmetry that will be challenging.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 10:38 PM
A before E

Quote:
IDK, I think the asymmetric layout creates some really interesting opportunities for the designers.
I agree with you, this is an opportunity for a really unique bridge even with the limitations they have to work with. On a side note, if anyone wants to plan a trip with me to Rotterdam to steal this bridge and use it as the new Burnside Bridge, I would appreciate the help.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 12:40 AM

So this comment probably belongs under a new thread called "Fantasy Portland" for ideas that are completely impractical and never going to happen for a million reasons ... but one can dream. It would be so cool if the James Beard Public Market was built on the new Burnside Bridge itself ... kind of like the Ponte Vecchio in Florence. It would create such a human connection between east and west, a huge draw for locals and tourists and a totally iconic symbol for the city. I know, I know ... sit down and shut up.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Burnside Bridge replacement project enters design phase

The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) on Friday published its Record of Decision for the Burnside Bridge replacement project, Multnomah County announced. The document is required for projects using federal funds and gives the project team approval to move forward.

The FHWA reviewed the project’s Final Environmental Impact Statement before issuing its decision, which marks the end of the environmental review phase.

During that review phase, from 2019 through 2023, the project team evaluated a range of options that addressed the purpose and need, screened options against a set of evaluation criteria, and selected one to advance into the design phase.
...continues at the DJC.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure