HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 5:50 PM

State Rep. pushes expansion of MARTA into Gwinnett

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...-gwinnett.html

Quote:
State Rep. Pedro Marin (D-Duluth) is asking Gwinnett County commissioners to hold public forums to gauge residents’ interest in joining MARTA and to add the matter to the November 2016 ballot if residents indicate they do want to join.

Marin says traffic on Interstate 85 hurts Gwinnett and that the county needs rapid transit. Commuter rail is of particular interest to Marin, reports Gwinnett Daily Post.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 7:56 PM

MARTA funding push resumes in General Assembly

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/b...-assembly.html

MARTA officials are working to resurrect a proposed half-penny sales tax increase to fund a major rail expansion that had been left for dead in the General Assembly.

However, a new plan has emerged since then to introduce two local MARTA funding bills, one covering Atlanta and the other DeKalb County. Under legislative rules, local bills are not subject to Crossover Day and, thus, can be considered at any point during the 40-day session.

The main reason the original Senate bill failed to make headway is that it drew opposition from some elected leaders in North Fulton.

Ashe said restricting the scope of the funding bills to Atlanta and DeKalb also would mean not building the North Line extension to Alpharetta. However, it would allow both the Clifton Corridor project and the east extension along the Interstate 20 corridor, he said.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdeatl View Post
MARTA funding push resumes in General Assembly

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/b...-assembly.html

MARTA officials are working to resurrect a proposed half-penny sales tax increase to fund a major rail expansion that had been left for dead in the General Assembly.

However, a new plan has emerged since then to introduce two local MARTA funding bills, one covering Atlanta and the other DeKalb County. Under legislative rules, local bills are not subject to Crossover Day and, thus, can be considered at any point during the 40-day session.

The main reason the original Senate bill failed to make headway is that it drew opposition from some elected leaders in North Fulton.

Ashe said restricting the scope of the funding bills to Atlanta and DeKalb also would mean not building the North Line extension to Alpharetta. However, it would allow both the Clifton Corridor project and the east extension along the Interstate 20 corridor, he said.

Great news! I say, if that's the bed they want to make then let them sleep in it. Those in favor of transit will tax themselves and reap the benefits. One day enough businesses will move from the burbs to transit-oriented development for them to catch on. Seems like Gwinnett is coming around.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelayIMEX View Post
Great news! I say, if that's the bed they want to make then let them sleep in it. Those in favor of transit will tax themselves and reap the benefits. One day enough businesses will move from the burbs to transit-oriented development for them to catch on. Seems like Gwinnett is coming around.
Now if only Cobb would come around we might get something cooking.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 12:34 PM

Marta Funding for CoA only has passed the legislature in time for Sine Die: http://www.myajc.com/news/news/state...slature/nqrzK/

That means we should be able to get funding for the beltline and whatever other projects Marta et al decide on assuming it passes in November.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Marta Funding for CoA only has passed the legislature in time for Sine Die: http://www.myajc.com/news/news/state...slature/nqrzK/

That means we should be able to get funding for the beltline and whatever other projects Marta et al decide on assuming it passes in November.
This is great news! Very likely referendum will pass, and Beltline transit will soon become a reality.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 8:31 PM

To be perfectly honest, I think the way this appears to be working out is actually for the best. I think it would be great to have lines going to N. Fulton, Cobb and Gwinnett at some point but if you look at a scale comparison of Marta and other systems around the country, few of them travel such long distances from the city core. Maybe now we can add to the system in and around the core and allow the urban areas to reach their full potential with transit being a key component of their growth.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 6:24 PM

Marta Menu. $2.5B to use in the way you think is most effective.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaca View Post
Nice! That's a good summary of the proposed projects.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
They need to add an option to activate assumed Federal Matching. My understanding is MARTA would do everything in its power to try and double its funding through federal matching dollars.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Are there actual plans for a Green Line Loop expansion? Although expensive, I would be super excited about that.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 1:47 PM

Eastside Trail Extension

Work began yesterday on the trail extension in Reynoldstown. This week involves tree removal and clearing vegetation, dirt moving starts next week. There are already safety barrels and there is lane closure signage along Wylie Street. I believe the plan is to start at Kirkwood Avenue and work backwards toward Irwin Street. The signs indicate that the trail is closed for construction until "Spring 2017" for whatever that's worth.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 3:29 PM

Some of the bike racks for the bikeshare were just installed downtown today.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 11:36 PM

MARTA Sales Tax Projects

Here's a cool interactive map of the possible projects from the sales tax referendum.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...8yH8ja4oUvJKPo

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 6:12 PM

MARTA to test double-decker bus until the end of August

http://commuting.blog.ajc.com/2016/0...le-decker-bus/
Quote:
MARTA is road-testing a double-decker bus which can hold up to 100 people. They’ll be testing the bus until the end of August.

Its first stop is on MARTA’s route 191 in Clayton County. There it will service stops at the Justice Center and the Hartsfield Jackson International Airport. After that it will travel a new route each week.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 1:38 PM

I'd love to see those double-deckers running along Peachtree on the 110 route. Passengers sitting upfront on the 2nd level would have pretty nice views! It might even create a cool factor with the bus-phobia crowd.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
I'd love to see those double-deckers running along Peachtree on the 110 route. Passengers sitting upfront on the 2nd level would have pretty nice views! It might even create a cool factor with the bus-phobia crowd.
I agree. They could even give it a unique color scheme and branding.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
I agree. They could even give it a unique color scheme and branding.
I've been saying this for years that MARTA should have double decker buses and articulated buses on the 110 and make it a "signature" route! I don't even think they should have the 110 in there, just "The Peach" similar to how they have "The Deuce" in Las Vegas and maybe have a combo local and limited like they have The Deuce and SDX routes in Vegas as well. The buses stand out so much I don't even think a special livery would be needed for The Peach

The Deuce

[/QUOTE]

The Deuce with bus ads

[/QUOTE]

The SDX (Limited)

[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 5:35 PM

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=000

Quote:
Marta issues RFI for new metro train fleet
Quote:
Marta is willing to consider having trains formed of two triple sets with wide open gangways between cars ...
...However, the new trains will need provision for a pantograph as future extensions to the network may be equipped with overhead electrification...
Is this hinting that the extension to Emory may use vehicles that could run on both third rail powered tracks or overhead powered tracks.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=000

Is this hinting that the extension to Emory may use vehicles that could run on both third rail powered tracks or overhead powered tracks.
cobb!?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta