HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 2:54 AM

Does anyone think the MARTA rail maps in stations/trains will be updated to reflect the new streetcar route?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 10:07 PM

Catenary poles coming soon!

The bases for the first 2 catenary poles are in place on Edgewood. These poured columns are about 12 feet deep!

The 3rd and 4th are coming, here they are putting the first rebarb sleeve into #3 today

I have a little more info on this blog post

http://atlantahistory.wordpress.com/...es-are-coming/

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
The bases for the first 2 catenary poles are in place on Edgewood. These poured columns are about 12 feet deep!

I have a little more info on this blog post

http://atlantahistory.wordpress.com/...es-are-coming/
This is exciting but those power poles are making me crazy!

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jun 14, 2013 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 6:42 PM

^Agreed! Why on earth would they tear up the street and sidewalk and *not* bury the utilities?!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
^Agreed! Why on earth would they tear up the street and sidewalk and *not* bury the utilities?!
Not to sound snarky, but streetcars have overhead lines, so the poles are a practical and engineering necessity. If you do tracks fully integrated into the road and/or do not want people to get electrocuted by an exposed "third rail" in the middle of the road, it's kind of the only option. Streetcars = overhead lines.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLswede View Post
Not to sound snarky, but streetcars have overhead lines, so the poles are a practical and engineering necessity. If you do tracks fully integrated into the road and/or do not want people to get electrocuted by an exposed "third rail" in the middle of the road, it's kind of the only option. Streetcars = overhead lines.
Nevermind, I just saw the picture and saw the wooden power lines coming out of the middle of the sidewalk. You're both right. Why on earth wouldn't they bury those???

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 1:32 PM

Plans to overhaul midtown MARTA stations in the works.

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/...-transit-stops

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
Wow, those footings aren't going anywhere! Do the protruding bolts have to carry the full load of the towers and wires above ground?

I would have to think the wood poles will go once everything is hooked up.

Last edited by arjay57; Jul 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 7:02 PM

MARTA is going through the environmental review process to apply for funding for the Clifton Corridor light rail line. Here is the newsletter (from the Clifton Corridor Web page) with several options that are currently under consideration:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...94795433_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...04523414_n.jpg

I like the idea of straightening the line and having a stop at the Emory/Children's Hospital. Those are the major destinations to increase ridership and it also makes most of the main Emory campus and Emory Village an easy walk. The Clairmont campus stop was too far from the Veterans Hospital to be useful. I do not like the idea of running street level with shared lanes as that will slow speed which will hurt boardings.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 11:22 AM

MARTA seeks ideas to develop King Memorial station

Quote:
MARTA is asking developers to submit ideas for new residential projects at King Memorial station.

MARTA this week issued a request for qualifications from developers interested in the projects, which could include a mix of apartments, student housing and condos, but also stores and office buildings. MARTA wants the projects to promote pedestrian traffic around King Memorial, something that could increase ridership on its trains.

MARTA will take the next month to review the ideas and narrow its list of potential developers. It would issue a request for more specific proposals just after Labor Day.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/r...elop-king.html

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferq View Post
MARTA is going through the environmental review process to apply for funding for the Clifton Corridor light rail line. Here is the newsletter (from the Clifton Corridor Web page) with several options that are currently under consideration:

I like the idea of straightening the line and having a stop at the Emory/Children's Hospital. Those are the major destinations to increase ridership and it also makes most of the main Emory campus and Emory Village an easy walk. The Clairmont campus stop was too far from the Veterans Hospital to be useful. I do not like the idea of running street level with shared lanes as that will slow speed which will hurt boardings.
This line would be a huge leap forward for MARTA. I am convinced it would be successful and that it would create an energy for other expansions of the rail system.

Once people see those things happening, they don't want to be left behind!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 6:52 PM

Quote:

I would prefer to see an east west line from the west side that travels through GA Tech and midtown on its way to the highland/poncey/inman area.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inman Parker View Post
I would prefer to see an east west line from the west side that travels through GA Tech and midtown on its way to the highland/poncey/inman area.
I don't think its a choice of one or the other. I liked the North option of the proposed streetcar line in the TSPLOST that ran from the Beltline at 10th and Monroe across 10th to Northside.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 9:59 PM

Quote:
I don't think its a choice of one or the other. I liked the North option of the proposed streetcar line in the TSPLOST that ran from the Beltline at 10th and Monroe across 10th to Northside.
+1

Those areas will get transit as a part of the Beltline/streetcar expansion at some point. For Marta, the Clifton corridor is the most logical target area for expansion of their system.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jul 18, 2013 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 1:25 PM

Quote:
I don't know any specifics, but it seems like it would be one or the other. The state hasn't exactly thrown a ton of money at transit in recent years and I cant image them committing the cash to doing two new lines.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 2:41 PM

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Clifton Corridor gets a large Federal grant. I mean, it will directly serve the CDC.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Clifton Corridor gets a large Federal grant. I mean, it will directly serve the CDC.
I hope so. I think it would be great for that area to have some connection into the system. Emory and the CDC is a huge employment center. Plus Emory kids being able to hop on transit to get intown would be great.

I think the eventual buildout of the Beltline will inevitably have some type of crosstown through midtown at either Tenth, North, or both. Sure we'll all be dead by then, but still.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
If thats the case, I'd rather it go to an east/west line. Ga tech has 50% more students than emory and westside/midtown/vahi are three of the most popular areas of the city. I just dont see the clifton corridor drawing that large of a ridership.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inman Parker View Post
If thats the case, I'd rather it go to an east/west line. Ga tech has 50% more students than emory and westside/midtown/vahi are three of the most popular areas of the city. I just dont see the clifton corridor drawing that large of a ridership.
With Emory, CDC, the VA, Children's Healthcare, etc, the Clifton Corridor is actually one of the largest employment centers in the entire state of Georgia. Emory alone has 24,000 employees, while Georgia Tech has only 6,000.

While I'd love to see the east-west line, the Clifton Corridor line is far and away the most needed rail line in metro Atlanta.

And in Atlanta, it's employment (not residential density or "popularity" of a neighborhood) that drives transit use. Some more info on commuting patterns:
http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...12_Workers.pdf

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
And in Atlanta, it's employment (not residential density or "popularity" of a neighborhood) that drives transit use. Some more info on commuting patterns:
http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...12_Workers.pdf
Exactly: that's a big reason why I think a rail line to Cumberland, even if it goes through relatively low-density residential areas or industrial areas, is a better long-term investment than an extension into Gwinnett or North Fulton. The concentration of workers in a relatively small geographic area is much higher. Employment gets much more dispersed once you get about 3 miles outside I-285.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta