HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Tell that to Justin Trudeau .
He put his foot in his mouth over the Senate - saying Quebec should get ore seats than the West (to that effect). He is doomed out here now (A,BC.S,M) as that commentary will be played over and over and over next election by the PC's. The NDP will shut up on it for obvious reasons. That was clearly the stupidist thing he could do and he can never ever undue the damage. That is what happens with no platform, no scripts: you wing it. His wings just got clipped out West as most here will never support him given his thoughts on the Senate.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 9:04 PM

^ I think you're being a bit harsh. I've found Justin to come off fairly pragmatic regarding the West. He certainly doesn't come across like his father did. I think he has a far better chance in Alberta than any Liberal leader since Chretien at least. A lot of the Conservative (not PC) attack ads are mindless dribble taken out of context and unlike Dion and Iggy, he's a strong enough leader to potentially fight it adequately.

It's the NDP that I've found has taken a turn down anti-West lane. I quite like the NDP, but not under Mulcair, who constantly panders do the Laurentian consensus and playing up the East vs West dichotomy. Although 2015 is still a while away, as it stands, I'd rather support Trudeau than Mulcair.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 1:27 AM

Sure...

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 3:07 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I'm all but on Team Iveson at this stage in the game. Unless a game-changer shows up, he's my man... Btw, anyone thought to do a poll on here of what we all think?

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw219 View Post
And there we have it. Instead of creating the conversation, Staples just created it for him. Ouch.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...706/story.html
Quote:
Of course, Edmontonians are concerned about tax hikes. Our new mayor, whoever it is, must be an expert on building this city on the cheap. And on council, Diotte certainly gave voice to all those for whom spending is the paramount concern. But his record is iffy when it comes to pushing through initiatives, major or minor.

As mayor, as the city’s leader, you can’t win a fierce, divisive budget debate by simply posing as knowing what most people on Twitter and Facebook supposedly think.

You have to consult widely, research thoroughly, argue your points, build a consensus and get results, be it on battling for LRT funding, or fighting with billionaire Daryl Katz on an arena deal, or spearheading a major austerity program. Diotte’s resume is short on examples of success on this kind of leadership.
Ouch.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Of course, Edmontonians are concerned about tax hikes. Our new mayor, whoever it is, must be an expert on building this city on the cheap. And on council, Diotte certainly gave voice to all those for whom spending is the paramount concern. But his record is iffy when it comes to pushing through initiatives, major or minor.

Yeah...taxes are always going up!!!!! Never have they gone down year after year! A good counsel and Mayor keeps it under control and uses tax increases wisely.

Building a city on the cheap...yeah we have done that....it doesn't work! Build a city smartly and with vision is what we are looking for. Just like in anything...the lowest bidder is not always the best option. You get what you pay for.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 8:26 PM
Urban Advocate

Holding the line on property taxes at 0% increase puts the city behind the eight-ball down the road. Property tax increases should be pegged at the inflation rate as a minimum.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 10:38 PM
Community Guy

Inflation at a minimum + 1-2% IMO.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 10:43 PM

^^absolutely. But in Edmonton's case leaders in the past did not borrow good debt to fund some critical transit and other cultural amenities. Now we are in catchup mode.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 5:02 AM

I really hope I see some candidates expressing some concrete ideas.

When I look at campaign websites for city council candidates, I see a lot of policy buzzwords and high-end fluff..."I believe in vibrant communities, sustainability, public transit, safe communities, yadda cubed"....might as well state you like puppies and babies while you're at it.

What concrete ideas do candidates have for vibrancy, safe communities, public transit, sustainability, fiscal responsibility, etc?
What's your stance on current and long-term issues?
What's your stance on the current and future big-ticket projects - arena, Quarters, YXD redevelopment, LRT expansion, Rossdale, river valley development, parks, etc?
What is broken and how will you fix it?
Where is improvement needed and how will you improve it?
Where do you want your ward, the city and the metro area to be in 20 years time?

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I really hope I see some candidates expressing some concrete ideas.

When I look at campaign websites for city council candidates, I see a lot of policy buzzwords and high-end fluff..."I believe in vibrant communities, sustainability, public transit, safe communities, yadda cubed"....might as well state you like puppies and babies while you're at it.

What concrete ideas do candidates have for vibrancy, safe communities, public transit, sustainability, fiscal responsibility, etc?
What's your stance on current and long-term issues?
What's your stance on the current and future big-ticket projects - arena, Quarters, YXD redevelopment, LRT expansion, Rossdale, river valley development, parks, etc?
What is broken and how will you fix it?
Where is improvement needed and how will you improve it?
Where do you want your ward, the city and the metro area to be in 20 years time?
Maybe some of them are still percolating their platform ideas like Diotte, candidate...

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 4:14 PM

Well that didn't take long. Already a fake Kerry Diotte Twitter account: https://twitter.com/NotKerryDiotte

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 4:52 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ You're the man behind it I assume?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Last edited by rapid_business; May 31, 2013 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 5:06 PM
DRINK

i predict giggles.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 5:39 PM

Haha....good Idea.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 4:53 PM

https://twitter.com/staceybrotzel/st...96911138123776

Jane Batty, Councillor for Ward 6, will NOT seek re-election.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 4:58 PM
Community Guy

Yup, was expected.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 5:39 PM

So when will McKeen throw his hat into Ward 6?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 8:06 PM
Community Guy

^rumoured to be soon

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 8:35 PM
HVAC guru

Pffft. Some secret

Glad that guy is running in ward 6 this time and not some other one. If Batty was running he probably would have tried that bonehead move again.

I kinda like Scott, but he's a bit of a doofus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton