HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 3:08 PM
West bench livin'

Okay... it's now after 10AM Eastern... what time is the ruling expected? (and thus fueling another 40 pages of "my tower's bigger than your tower" nonsense)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
Okay... it's now after 10AM Eastern... what time is the ruling expected? (and thus fueling another 40 pages of "my tower's bigger than your tower" nonsense)
CTBUH is located in Chicago. I think the press conference is at 10am CST, 11am EST.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 3:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
CTBUH is located in Chicago. I think the press conference is at 10am CST, 11am EST.
^^^ I hope they don't have a bias since Chicago is the hometown. But when you think about it, this whole controversy is just one big bias I feel. When the NY Times Tower has a flagpole that counts as a spire if this doesn't, then something is deeply wrong.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 3:27 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelouboil View Post
When comparing two cities in regards to which has the taller buildings....you NEVER Ever ever include "...proposed.." buildings. Everyone knows that most supertall proposals never come to fruition. Your argument is feeble at best.
Actually, I prefer to include proposed when comparing to see which city has the most activity when it comes to skyscraper development and the overall potential for the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 3:59 PM

Hope the CTBUH really takes a look at what is being built, especially these spires, and ask themselves if the rules are generating a certain trend in architectural design that truly in line with the intent of the ruling (spires versus antennas). The fact that there still this debate means that much more clarity is needed. I also realize that being in the center of a public debate is a rare spotlight for such an obscure entity as the CTBUH, so perhaps they like the controversy; no such thing as bad publicity .

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 4:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Not surprising. It's the tallest...

http://online.wsj.com/article/APfcf5...7bf.html?dsk=y

Expert committee declares New York's new World Trade Center tower the tallest building in US

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

One World Trade Center has officially been declared the tallest building in the US.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 4:12 PM

I am in Los Angeles. News radio KNX just announced we have a new tallest building.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 4:14 PM

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 4:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is great news .

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 4:15 PM
New Yorker for life

All I'm getting is that it's the tallest, no details yet. Guess we'll see what we get from the press conferences.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 4:18 PM

from the nbc article
Quote:
The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, the official arbiters of all things architectural, said Tuesday that the 409-foot antenna atop 1 WTC counts toward the building's full height.

Without the needle, the building stands at a 1,368 feet — rivaling but not eclipsing Willis Tower's 1,451 feet.
wonder if these are the figures given by the CTBUH, because if true, the building is 1777ft tall
also, the mast begins below the parapet, so how is the height of the spire counted? nevertheless, tallest of the US

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Expert committee declares New York's new World Trade Center tower the tallest building in US

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 4:20 PM
BANNED

Congratulations, from Chicago

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 4:23 PM

It's OFFICIAL!! Just saw the headline on CNN's homepage! 1,776 FEET BABY!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 4:23 PM

disregard my earlier post, it's 1776ft tall
http://ctbuh.org/LinkClick.aspx?file...language=en-US

Quote:
There is a required red FAA warning light located on top of the beacon, which itself is topped by a 16-foot lightning rod. Based on Mr. Childs’ explanation, the CTBUH Height Committee was satisfied that these elements could be considered “functional-technical equipment,” and thus did not factor in the “height to architectural top” calculation.
Quote:
The second issue at 1WTC was the location from which the 1,776-foot measurement had been taken. The building has four entrances, one on each side. Three of those entrances are flush with the 9/11 Memorial Plaza, which is level with the base of the original World Trade Center towers. These three entrances lead directly into the elevator lobby, while a fourth entrance is 5 feet, 8 inches lower than the lobby, on Vesey Street, due to the change in grade from south to north. If measured from this
point, the height to architectural top would have been 1,781 feet, 8 inches. Mr. Childs showed plans indicating that the main entrance of the building was the south entrance facing the 9/11 Memorial plaza, and that the north entrance at the lower elevation does not provide direct access to the elevators, but requires
negotiating steps or using a disabled-access lift to ascend to the lobby. To be considered “significant,” an entrance must “be predominantly above existing or pre-existing grade and permit access to one or more primary uses in the building via elevators.” Therefore, the lower Vesey Street (north) entrance was not considered “significant” by the committee.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 4:26 PM

YAY FREEDOM TOWER!
EVERY TIME I SEE THE MAST IT MAKES ME PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!1

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 4:26 PM

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 4:31 PM
New Yorker for life

They basically caved on every issue. The spire determination, there were signals they would do that anyway. But the base of measurement should have been from the Vesey Street side. Together, those decisions just tell me that they were basically going to do whatever they had to do to confirm the symbolic 1,776 height.

http://www.ctbuh.org/LinkClick.aspx?...language=en-US

No access to elevators because they have to take a flight of steps? Does this entrance look non-significant? That's really stretching it a lot.

What do they think those steps are there for? Decoration? Yeah, the fix was in. The entire meeting was a charade. 1,776 it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive