HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 9:00 PM

The Future of Edmonton

"Moving forward, if we’re going to pursue the oil sands business, we need to learn from our past mistakes and demonstrate that we can be good stewards of this complex resource that we’ve inherited by chance. The activity is going to happen; as long as oil is higher than about $50 a barrel, the extraction will continue. We need to orient ourselves single-mindedly to making it cheaper, cleaner, greener, faster and safer, and then we need to apply that intellectual property to other environmental challenges and industrial processes around the world. That should be our next nation-building project – create long-term value out of this one-time benefit. So when we’re done up north, when we’ve extracted the last of the extractable, economically feasible resource, there’s still some reason for Edmonton to exist."

I am not sure what he is saying in that last sentence. That Edmonton is ONLY about a service centre to the tarsands? How do you interpret that comment?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle22151888/

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 9:10 PM
Community Guy

I would not read too much into that comment, he is simply reminding us all to diversify, value add locally and become more resilient/innovative in terms of who, what and where we do things.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 9:50 PM

You can say that about most cities. YEG was here long before the Oilsands and will be here long after.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 10:11 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ But in what form Edmonton exists post-oilsands depends a lot on what we do today to mind our dependence on non-renewables and related industries.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 10:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
You can say that about most cities. YEG was here long before the Oilsands and will be here long after.
Fur. Gold Rush. Oil/Oil Sands.

We've always been a boom town, built around facilitating resource acquisition.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 1:59 AM

These were his views about our city...and he was speaking to a "National" newspaper and I am sure his words, on reflection....were not the best he might have come up with. But in interviews you can not always control your messaging...that last sentence had nothing to do about diversification btw. He needs to (and I hope this does not piss his supporters off) pause and think...before he answers questions. I have met him and he thinks he can be "quick" in responding to questions as it shows he can communicate. The problem is his comments are not always well thought out. When talking to the media...pause...and think first...there is nothing wrong with reflecting on what you may be thinking before you open your mouth. People who learn this live longer in politics.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 3:31 AM
Urbis Maximus

I believe we have hundreds of years worth of oil in the oilsands. Chances are we won't rely on oil before we've consumed it all.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
These were his views about our city...and he was speaking to a "National" newspaper and I am sure his words, on reflection....were not the best he might have come up with. But in interviews you can not always control your messaging...that last sentence had nothing to do about diversification btw. He needs to (and I hope this does not piss his supporters off) pause and think...before he answers questions. I have met him and he thinks he can be "quick" in responding to questions as it shows he can communicate. The problem is his comments are not always well thought out. When talking to the media...pause...and think first...there is nothing wrong with reflecting on what you may be thinking before you open your mouth. People who learn this live longer in politics.
What? That's exactly what it's about when I read it. I mean, I guess people can always phrase things more tactfully but Alberta as we know it currently would not exist without the oil sands. It wouldn't disappear off the face of the planet I guess, of that is what you are upset about, but look at what's happened to Edmonton in past slumps, we're only recovering now and while it may not all be directly funded by ft. Mac it underpins the economy enough to allow for many other things to happen.

The sooner Edmonton and Alberta in general own up to being dependant on the oil sands to keep things going the better IMO. It's obviously not all we are but it underpins enough of the economy. I guess maybe it could have been "..still some reason for Edmonton as we know it and would like to see it, to exist". Would that help?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 5:03 PM

Perhaps a gentle reminder that Edmonton has to plan ahead so that it doesn't become a Detroit. An extreme example perhaps, and I don't mean offence, but certainly diversification as a strategy before the game as opposed to a response late in the game should always be at the forefront of any municipality.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 5:13 PM
Erik Soderstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Perhaps a gentle reminder that Edmonton has to plan ahead so that it doesn't become a Detroit. An extreme example perhaps, and I don't mean offence, but certainly diversification as a strategy before the game as opposed to a response late in the game should always be at the forefront of any municipality.
That sounds right.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 6:18 PM

Diversification is the key to shielding Edmonton from the fluctuations of oil & gas demand. Canada needs to know what else this place has to offer.

Industries that are here now (besides oil & gas) that can be expanded:
Agriculture
Forestry
Medical research
Gaming development (I wish Bioware could spawn an industry here)
Software/app development
IT
Biotech
Nanotechnology
Waste management

Did I forget any?

Last edited by Hallsy's Toupee; Dec 21, 2014 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 9:25 PM
So very tired...

Transportation/logistics (as in: Gateway to the North, Port Alberta)
Manufacturing (is everything we 'build' here oilsands related?)

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 10:49 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Transportation/logistics (as in: Gateway to the North, Port Alberta)
Manufacturing (is everything we 'build' here oilsands related?)
I've worked in a hot tub factory (looks like have built a larger factory in the last ten years) and a window factory here.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 3:43 AM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
I believe we have hundreds of years worth of oil in the oilsands. Chances are we won't rely on oil before we've consumed it all.
Not sure what your belief has to do with anything.

Regardless of that, no sane investor would put all their money into a single sector. If you have an investment advisor that suggests you pour everything into a one type of investment, I'd have a hard time believing you wouldn't fire them on the spot.

The city is no different nor should it be any different, even if only to ensure stability during price swings to say nothing of the fact that we really don't know how long we can actually continue to depend to singularly on the oilsands - and not even necessarily because of a shortage.

One need look no further than the province's heavy dependence on resource royalties for revenue and how well that works out for stable budgeting. It's utterly insane and not a model anyone should be following.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 3:44 AM
A Better Place

Government and related services.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 6:22 PM

^^ His belief is based on scientific fact

Based on known resources and the rate of consumption.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 2:25 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
Not sure what your belief has to do with anything.

Regardless of that, no sane investor would put all their money into a single sector. If you have an investment advisor that suggests you pour everything into a one type of investment, I'd have a hard time believing you wouldn't fire them on the spot.

The city is no different nor should it be any different, even if only to ensure stability during price swings to say nothing of the fact that we really don't know how long we can actually continue to depend to singularly on the oilsands - and not even necessarily because of a shortage.

One need look no further than the province's heavy dependence on resource royalties for revenue and how well that works out for stable budgeting. It's utterly insane and not a model anyone should be following.
I believe there are around 170 years of reserves. I am willing to wager that in 170 years the world will not rely on oil as much as it does today. Ergo, my comment regarding that we won't 'use' up every last drop before we find ourselves having to diversify our economy.

http://www.energy.alberta.ca/OilSand...FactsJan14.pdf

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Diversification is the key to shielding Edmonton from the fluctuations of oil & gas demand. Canada needs to know what else this place has to offer.

Industries that are here now (besides oil & gas) that can be expanded:
Agriculture
Forestry
Medical research
Gaming development (I wish Bioware could spawn an industry here)
Software/app development
IT
Biotech
Nanotechnology
Waste management

Did I forget any?
education
arts and culture
insurance
banking
construction
engineering and design

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 8:53 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
I believe there are around 170 years of reserves. I am willing to wager that in 170 years the world will not rely on oil as much as it does today. Ergo, my comment regarding that we won't 'use' up every last drop before we find ourselves having to diversify our economy.

http://www.energy.alberta.ca/OilSand...FactsJan14.pdf
Exactly. The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stone.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 10:02 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Not sure where to put this as I didn't see a thread devoted to Edmonton business / economy so I'll throw it in here.

One of the gals I work with just got an email from her sister who works at Sobey's Western office in Edmonton. They have just been notified that the office will be consolidated with Safeway's office in Calgary and anyone who is interested in moving will need to re-apply for their job. I have not been able to independently verify this however. Her sister is not exactly thrilled.

Posted in the Calgary section too.

Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton