HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPitonya View Post
I believe the only large buildings left for renovation would be the Free Press Building, the old police headquarters, and the Wayne County Building? Bring on more new construction!!
Also the Fort Wayne Hotel right next to the Masonic Temple. It's likely to be renovated with the whole district Detroit project, but nothings official yet. The Wayne County building was already renovated, pretty sure it's not vacant.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPitonya View Post
I believe the only large buildings left for renovation would be the Free Press Building, the old police headquarters, and the Wayne County Building? Bring on more new construction!!
United Artists.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean
I love the Met! This and the Wurlitzer were close calls. Are there any large buildings left that aren't slated for renovation?

By far the one I can't wait to see finished is the Book Tower. It's going to look incredible.
The Executive Plaza is still up in the air so to speak, although apparently the Detroit World Trade Center is HQ'd there even if it is just a ground floor office. The Park Avenue Building is the only major building that may face the wrecking ball.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 11:32 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
United Artists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta_Love View Post
The Park Avenue Building is the only major building that may face the wrecking ball.
True dat. Those are beauts. Anything at all in the works for United Artists?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 11:52 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerDetroit View Post
Sounds great, but still seems very early. When will we hear any news on the Hudson site? It seems like the only sure thing and there has been no new info in quite some time!
Also, I think it would be awesome if Gilbert, SHoP, et al, came up with a design where the bottom floors looked just like the former Hudson's building, but with a sleek glass component towering 70 stories above.

I thought of that while I dozed off last night. I doubt it will be anything so ambitious, but I think the concept could be super interesting.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Also, I think it would be awesome if Gilbert, SHoP, et al, came up with a design where the bottom floors looked just like the former Hudson's building, but with a sleek glass component towering 70 stories above.

I thought of that while I dozed off last night. I doubt it will be anything so ambitious, but I think the concept could be super interesting.
I just really hope that it's tall and actually skyline redefining.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta_Love View Post
The Executive Plaza is still up in the air so to speak, although apparently the Detroit World Trade Center is HQ'd there even if it is just a ground floor office. The Park Avenue Building is the only major building that may face the wrecking ball.
Why would it face the wrecking ball? The building directly next to it has been renovated, it seems logical that it would be next to receive investment.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 2:10 PM

Video Link

My favorite shot is at the 2:50 mark.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean
True dat. Those are beauts. Anything at all in the works for United Artists?
Yea supposedly after the immediate area around the new arena is developed the united artists is high on illitch's list to develop next. Also there have been plans for the michigan theater building and the leland has been slowly being renovated step by small step, according to a friend who's father is an investor in the project and also worked on the broderick too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One
Why would it face the wrecking ball? The building directly next to it has been renovated, it seems logical that it would be next to receive investment.
I know it makes no since but it nearly did face the wrecking ball like a year ago there was a petition that went around demanding to save it and fortunately it was given a stay in execution. But i don't know of any plans for it so we may find ourselves signing another petition in the near future.

On another note I remember a similar project that was planned by northwestern h.s. a few months ago although i have not head an update since, good to see this idea gaining traction in the city unlike shipping container housing which for what ever reason still hasn't taken off.
Quote:
Detroit nonprofit creating tiny houses community
August 12, 2016
Staff Blog:
Crain's Detroit Business

Cass Community Social Services is working on a tiny homes project that will see 25 small houses built on the north end of the nonprofit agency's campus in Detroit.

Ranging from 250 to 400 square feet, the homes are primarily for formerly homeless people, senior citizens and college students, as well as a few of the agency's staff. They will be built in the area near Elmhurst Street and the M-10 (Lodge Freeway) Service Drive and east of Woodrow Wilson Avenue. Each lot will be about 30 by 100 feet with most houses having a front porch or rear deck for added living space.

Each house is being built by professional tradespeople and volunteer teams who will help finish the job with tasks such as tiling, drywall installation, painting, gardening, building decks and putting up fences.

It takes about five weeks to build each home, and each house costs between $48,000 and $64,000 to build, The Detroit News reported. Residents will be given the opportunity to rent with the option to buy the house after living in it for seven years. The organization hopes to have residents moving in by October.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...uses-community

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 11:27 PM

Man the curse of the fail jail seems as strong as ever... the city had started to build it in the greektown area it runs over budget and gets shut down as potential corruption was exposed a potential compromise to relocate the court/jail complex into the recently closed mound road correctional facility was seen by the wayne county criminal justice community as a no go. Now michigan central depot is being floated as a potential location for the court facilities which i don't think anyone would have a problem with but building a new jail in corktown.... While there is plenty of vacant former industrial land for a new jail it would be within the bounds of one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the city, i would love to see MCD turned into the new ciminal justice complex but the jail cannot be in corktown perhaps if a new jail was built in delray which isn't too far could be viable. But i think a connected holding facility is seen as a must but it is completely wrong for the area and especially should not be anywhere near the waterfront.

Quote:
Could the new jail site be near Michigan Central Station?

And the courts move into the station?

BY ROBIN RUNYAN
AUG 15, 2016
Curbed Detroit

Well, it’s an idea.

Detroit News columnist Nolan Finley is suggesting that yes, there have been discussions and rumors lately that a new jail site could move to the rail lines behind the old Michigan Central Station, and courts could move inside the aging ruin.

"I can’t say for sure how serious the idea is. But I heard the same thing from several people last week: Discussions are underway with the county, city of Detroit and Matty Moroun, the billionaire owner of the Central Depot, as well as the rail companies that own part of the site, to replace the partially completed jail on Gratiot in downtown Detroit with a new facility behind Central Depot."

It would make sense for many of the major players in town, including Dan Gilbert, who would like the old jail site for a new soccer stadium. Although the county did hire a consultant to try and get the fail jail site finished, many can’t believe it could still move forward. Gilbert and many others believe that land is prime property and could be used for a stadium, or anything that could make money.

http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/8/15/...tion-fail-jail

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 1:20 AM

Pictures from today.

Looks like they're adding a neat little seating area to the Dequindere Cut. The awning is built off what used to be one of the bridge supports for a street that crossed over.

DuCharme Place.

Around Orleans Landing.

Pretty much every building around Capitol Park had some sort of construction going on.

This is the lot where the Little Ceaser's HQ is being built viewed from Park Avenue. Looks like no time wasted getting to construction.

Little Ceaser's Arena.

Facade ought to be coming up soon.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 6:31 PM
Detroit Love

Capitol Park is going to be awesome by this time next year.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 6:40 PM
Registered Ugly

Downtown Detroit Partnership has been a huge catalyst for Capital Park, investing in repairs, maintenance and programming. MSHDA has funded huge grants to them multiple years in a row for Capitol Park, Campus Martius Park, and more. Also to Dequindre Cut to match TIGER funds, Midtown Detroit, Inc., Orleans Landing, and many more. I don't think people realize how much support the state housing authority puts into all of these projects every single year.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 6:50 PM

I'm incredibly impressed with the outstanding job they're doing with the cornices of these old buildings, I thought they would never be restored properly. It looks as if they've always been there, totally seamless.

The Paris of the west is certainly getting it's game back.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 6:53 PM

Hi. Much respect to this. Of course, it has to be the final product, right?

Hope so cause the texture is sophisticated. Good taste. You may even see indoor walls dressed in this kind of deliberately gritty-looking bricks, most usually in comfy apartments or lofts. It's some cool yuppie taste today, isn't it?

Fine fashion to play with textures in the better contemporary trend.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Hi. Much respect to this. Of course, it has to be the final product, right?

Hope so cause the texture is sophisticated. Good taste. You may even see indoor walls dressed in this kind of deliberately gritty-looking bricks, most usually in comfy apartments or lofts. It's some cool yuppie taste today, isn't it?

Fine fashion to play with textures in the better contemporary trend.
That's the original brick. Authentically aged and put through many cold winters.

Globe Building Exterior by Michigan DNR, on Flickr

Last edited by animatedmartian; Aug 19, 2016 at 1:06 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 6:25 PM

Progress in the north end.

Quote:
In some parts of the city where private developers haven't ventured yet, community development corporations are the one kind of entity putting shovels in the ground.
Quote:
Central Detroit Christian slowly rebuilds houses, commerce in 24-block area of north Detroit
August 21, 2016
By MARTI BENEDETTI
Crain's Detroit Business

For 21 years, Lisa Johanon and her community development corporation, Central Detroit Christian, have chipped away at the expansive blight and poverty that plagues their North End Detroit neighborhood. Next up is restoring The Casamira, a 1920s apartment building, into market rate and affordable housing units.

For 21 years, Lisa Johanon and her community development corporation, Central Detroit Christian, have chipped away at the expansive blight and poverty that plagues their North End Detroit neighborhood.

What CDC is dealing with is staggering, but so is the progress it has made along 24 blocks between Clairmount Avenue to the north, Woodward Avenue to the east, M-10 freeway to the west and West Grand Boulevard to the south.

CDC owns and manages 61 properties, including apartments, houses, duplexes and four-plexes, said Johanon, executive director of the nondenominational nonprofit. In addition, the organization owns several vacant lots where run-down houses once stood. "We've spent about $10 million to get where we are now. There's been creative financing on a lot of the projects.

"Our goal is zero abandoned and vacant homes in our 24 blocks," she said. "Now we have 27 vacant and abandoned homes. But we will keep our hand to the plow."

CDC has been facing seemingly insurmountable odds. Seventy-six percent of the neighborhood's population is below the poverty line. Forty percent of residents make less than $10,000 annually while 70 percent have no car. Sixty-six percent are unemployed, and 42 percent did not graduate from high school.

Its mission focuses on employment, education and economic development, and it creates businesses so it can hire unemployed people in the neighborhood. In some parts of the city where private developers haven't ventured yet, community development corporations are the one kind of entity putting shovels in the ground.

Ernie Zachary, vice president of Detroit-based Zachary & Associates, a community group consulting company, said community development corporations emerged in the 1980s as a way to help neglected urban neighborhoods.

"If they offer continuity and a continuum of leadership, they can be effective," he said. "(Central Detroit Christian) is putting in place enough substance so there is meat on the bone."

In the case of CDC, its roster of businesses ranges from farming operations to multipurpose businesses. These include:

-Cafe Sonshine is a 2,800-square-foot soul food restaurant that will have an emphasis on healthy food. Unlike most restaurants of its ilk, it will be pork-free and offer baked chicken and tilapia in addition to the usual standards. It is doing some catering and is expected to open in about a month.

-Higher Ground has been maintaining lawns and landscaping yards since 2011. Johanon said the business is a success story. Craig Grissom, a former prisoner, bought it from the CDC last year and it employs neighborhood residents.

-The CDC Farm and Fishery on Second Street has been breeding and growing fish and uses fish waste to fertilize the basil in the CDC's gardens. However, Johanon recently tweaked the business. It cost $9 a pound to manufacture fish that was selling for $6 a pound — not a workable model. Now the lower level of the building will be a processing center for vegetables and the upper floor will handle a lower volume of aquaponics.

-Restoration Warehouse is a thrift store.

-Detroit Remade scavenges used materials and repurposes them to sell.
Peaches & Greens is a market and a commercial kitchen. It had its first break-even year last year, said manager Liz Etim.

-Faith, Hope and Love Productions is CDC's gardens and orchard.

-Solid Rock Property Management manages CDC's commercial and residential properties.

-Shadow of the Almighty Security handles security for the neighborhood's construction projects.

-Fit & Fold Laundromat allows customers to flex their muscles with exercise equipment while they do laundry.

Johanon said CDC bought the large house across from Peaches & Greens for $1,800 and is remodeling it as a community center to be used by Brilliant Detroit, an organization working to help families and their children get on a course for success.

Etim said Peaches & Greens is mission-driven like much of the CDC. It has a mobile truck that does community outreach delivering food and also does pop-up farmers markets.

"The mission is accessibility to fresh produce in the neighborhood," she said. "We've seen a shift in the population here. People have moved out, but with the resurgence in Detroit, we are seeing new faces coming into the shop."

The market's food truck serves employees in nearby places such as Henry Ford Hospital and New Center Park. There's an education element at the market with Michigan State University teaching canning and other useful domestic skills.

For Johanon, it's all supportive of her social conscience. She grew up in Redford Township and attended Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. She continued her education at Wheaton College in Wheaton, Ill., and John Marshall Law School in Chicago. She ended up working in the Cabrini Green projects in Chicago before moving to Detroit to tend a Christian teen organization. When it moved to the suburbs, she and a partner, who is no longer involved, started CDC.

CDC has 24 staff people and employs another 12-16 through its businesses. It attracts up to 400 volunteers each summer.

Over the years, CDC has orchestrated the demolition of homes deemed to be total losses and turned some of the vacant lots into parks with playgrounds, picnic tables and benches. It has built seven exercise pods on smaller plots of land and brought in volunteers to teach residents how to use them. Large flower planters sit on street corners — giving the neighborhood a cared-for vibe.

The Kresge Foundation, along with the Skillman Foundation, the Kellogg Foundation and Chase Bank, have given six-figure donations over the years, she said.

Kresge's Detroit Program has made grants of $841,000 to CDC since 2010. A grant of $365,000 in 2010 supported the stabilization of the neighborhood through the acquisition, renovation and sale of foreclosed vacant homes. Grants of $366,000 in 2012 and 2013 supported development of the area around Peaches & Greens. Most recently, a $110,000 grant through the Kresge Innovative Projects: Detroit initiative of the Detroit Program, a small neighborhood grants program for city organizations, supported the transformation of seven vacant lots into neighborhood pocket parks with exercise equipment.

In February 2015, CDC acquired a 30,000-square-foot church building at 1550 Taylor St. to be its headquarters, a preschool similar to Head Start, a facility for youth programs (now housed in the nearby Blessed Sacrament Cathedral), and a housing counseling center for 400 families. It was purchased for $3,000, but is undergoing extensive remodeling. They hope to open it in January.

In addition, the Michigan Economic Development Corp., the Michigan State Housing Development Authority and the CDC recently announced a crowdfunding campaign by Patronicity for the project. If the campaign reaches its goal of raising $50,000 by Sept. 23, the project will win a matching grant with funds from MSHDA and MEDC's Public Spaces Community Places program.

The church, formerly called the Tried Stone Baptist Church, also has a gymnasium and a dental clinic, which Central Detroit Christian hopes will be in business in 2017.

An even larger project is the 1929 Casamira apartment building, which was donated to CDC by the Wayne County Probate Court. Restoring it for use as an apartment building will require inventive financing and likely cost $10 million, Johanon said. Plans call for market rate and affordable units. CDC buys most of its properties through Wayne County auctions.

According to CDC's 2015 formal audit, the nonprofit has almost $3.7 million in assets and the same amount in liabilities and equity. The majority of its annual budget, almost $2 million, has gone toward building and improvements.

The improvements Central Detroit Christian has made have not been based on a steady upward line. It started going through hard times in 2008 when it had 27 vacant houses. By 2009, it had 103 vacant homes. Because the neighborhood is close to three highways (I-75, M-10 and I-94), it made fleeing from the scene of a crime easier.

"We got rid of the drug dealers by buying property. Then we actually tripled in size over the Great Recession," Johanon said, adding that the downturn came later for her neighborhood. "After the recession, with all the work we did, it looked like we did nothing."

Undeterred, CDC picked itself up in recent years, and Johanon feels good progress has been made.

"Volunteers and neighbors are starting to see people here have hope. Now people wave and are happy to see you," said Johanon, who lives in the neighborhood with her husband and children. "People have enough (confidence and trust) that they are contributing to make a difference in the neighborhood. Some of the most unlikely characters are helping. We have not seen this before."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...commerce-in-24

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 1:29 AM

Detroit Shipping Co. had a groundbreaking event this past Saturday for their food hall container project in Cass Corridor, specifically 474 Peterboro St.

The project will contain 5 restaurants; taco, burgers, chicken, hot dogs, and possibly one with Japanese cuisine. There will also be two bars and a live performance venue. Planned opening is for December of this year.

http://detroit.eater.com/2016/7/14/1...cember-opening

http://detroit.eater.com/2016/8/22/1...ll-restaurants

Meanwhile, a master plan has been developed for the Northland Mall site in Southfield. The mall will be torn down this fall and from there, parcels of the land will be sold to developers through RFPs. The only part that could possibly be saved the the original Hudson's store shell (Macy's more recently) that is at the center of the mall.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...nd-center-site

Last edited by animatedmartian; Aug 24, 2016 at 11:25 PM. Reason: updated plans

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Russell Flats Apartment Complex to Open in Detroit’s Eastern Market in 2018
BY R.J. KING August 24, 2016

Jonna Luxury Homes in Birmingham is making its first foray into Detroit with the construction of Russell Flats in Eastern Market, an 82-unit apartment community that is slated to open in spring 2018. Construction on the nearly one-acre site will start next spring, and replace a metal, open-air structure.

The project, located at the southwest corner of Russell and Alfred streets (immediately north of Bert’s Warehouse), will offer a mixture of studio, two-bedroom, and three-bedroom residences, along with nine penthouse units on the top floor. Each of the penthouse units, available with two or three bedrooms, will include a small yard.

The western side of the five-story building will offer a second-floor patio where residents will have views of the downtown skyline as well as sunsets. Russell Flats also will include an exercise facility, bike storage, and a doorman. Rental rates will be announced in the coming months.

“What attracted me to the site is that you could live there and have access to fresh food, bike lanes, and all the great things that are happening in the city,” says Joey Jonna, founder and president of Jonna Luxury Homes in Birmingham. “The building will (also) offer (ground-floor) space for a restaurant along Russell Street, and a total of 6,400 square feet of space for artists and small businesses.”

The architect for the project is Hamilton Anderson in downtown Detroit. Jonna says he is looking at other development opportunities in the city. “The revival of Detroit is real, and there is a lot of interest for new residential apartments that are well designed in a desirable location,” he says.

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...arket-in-2018/

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Exclusive: Two New Residential Buildings Planned for Detroit’s Capitol Park
BY R.J. KING, August 29, 2016

http://archpaper.com/2016/01/zago-architecture/

For the first time in decades, Detroit’s Capitol Park district behind the Westin Book Cadillac Hotel will see the addition of new buildings. Over the last three years, the district, built around a triangular park that replaced the first state capitol from 1837, has been undergoing a complete renovation.

Capitol Park Partnership in Detroit, which last year completed a renovation of the Detroit Savings Bank building in the district into 56 loft apartments and office space, and is currently renovating two other historic structures — Capitol Park Lofts and the Farwell Building — plans to replace a former restaurant it owns in the district with a mid-rise residential apartment building along with ground-floor commercial space.

The partnership plans to add another building on a surface parking lot it owns immediately south of the Farwell Building, located at 1249 Griswold St. The addition of the two structures would leave one remaining surface parking lot in Capitol Park.

“Over the last decade, the east side of downtown has largely been transformed, while the west side took a bit longer,” says Richard Karp, a partner of Capitol Park Partnership with Richard Hosey and Kevin Prater. “With the demand we are seeing for new and renovated residential apartments, office space, and retail and restaurant locations, the timing is right to start the process of building new structures.”

From a rendering provided by the partnership, the former Theodore’s Family Dining eatery at 1201 Griswold (northwest corner of Griswold and State streets) would be replaced with an 11-story brick-and-glass structure that appears to hover over the park. The iconic design contrasts well with Detroit’s collection of pre-World War II historic structures.

The building planned south of the Farwell Building would be eight stories high, matching the height of its northern neighbor. The Farwell, vacant since 1973, is being renovated into 82 residential apartments, offices spaces, retail and restaurant areas, and a rooftop deck. It is expected to open in fall 2017.

Zago Architecture Inc. in Los Angeles designed the buildings for Capital Park Partnership. The firm has been active in Detroit in recent years with the design of the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit (MOCAD) in Midtown, Mercury Coffee Bar in Corktown, and the Greening of Detroit Pavilion in Lafayette Park.

In turn, Capitol Park Lofts at the southwest corner of Griswold and State streets will open in November with 63 apartments and 17,000 square feet of commercial space. It joins the redevelopment of other buildings in the district by Bedrock Real Estate Services, Broder and Sachse, and Lear Corp.

In addition, Detroit-based Roxbury Group is building 80 residential apartments a block south of Capitol Park atop a 10-story parking deck. The deck, which offers ground-floor commercial space, is located immediately east of the Westin Book Cadillac Hotel. Called The Griswold, the development at 150 Michigan Ave. is expected to open by the end of the year.

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...-Capitol-Park/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations