HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 5:53 PM

Austin | 500 S. Congress | 5 Towers | Up to 575 Feet | Floors | Proposed

In a twist, NY developer approved for $65M purchase of prime South Congress property with redevelopment potential

The Related Cos. has until Sept. 30 to purchase six-acre South Congress Square site out of bankruptcy; just the tip of the iceberg for firm's Austin ambitions

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ss-square.html

In a wild twist, one of the nation’s most prolific developers has emerged as the frontrunner to buy out of bankruptcy a six-acre South Congress Avenue site primed for redevelopment.

After the top two bidders for the South Congress site proved either unwilling or unable to timely close on the sales, The Related Companies LP, a New York-based developer with an estimated $60 billion portfolio, negotiated with a Chapter 7 trustee to make a $65 million offer.

Related was approved by a bankruptcy judge Sept. 15 to purchase the site for $65 million, provided it can close on the deal by Sept. 30.

An attorney representing the company, Josh Judd of law firm Andrews Myers PC, told ABJ Sept. 16 that his client is "not anticipating any problems" closing on the sale by the Sept. 30 deadline. Mike Iannacone, executive vice president at Related and the company's top local official, said Sept. 16 it was "too early to tell" what Related might ultimately do with the site, but noted it will likely be "a vertical mixed-use development of some sort."

Related has amassed a reputation as one of the most ambitious urban developers operating today. Its developments include Hudson Yards in New York, The Grand LA in Los Angeles and The 78 in Chicago.

If it gets this latest deal done, it would mark the third potential development site tied to the real estate giant this month alone. On Sept. 9, the firm announced plans to construct two towers near South Congress Avenue, just south of Lady Bird Lake.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 3:17 AM

In a twist, NY developer approved for $65M purchase of prime South Congress property with redevelopment potential

Quote:
The Related Cos. has until Sept. 30 to purchase six-acre South Congress Square site out of bankruptcy; just the tip of the iceberg for firm's Austin ambitions.

The Congress Square office building at 510 S. Congress Ave., home to dive bar Ego's, is among the properties that New York-based real estate giant The Related Cos. appears on the verge of scooping up.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 10:44 AM
Resident Moron

We must protect Egos

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 12:23 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
We must protect Egos
I’ll save mine.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 1:18 PM

I'm loving the slow collapse of so many of World Class's holdings.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:33 PM

Bro what... the first time I hung out with my girlfriend and my friend group was at Egos...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Bro what... the first time I hung out with my girlfriend and my friend group was at Egos...
we should have a forum meet up on Karaoke night at Ego's, before it's gone.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
we should have a forum meet up on Karaoke night at Ego's, before it's gone.
1) I'm down for that. I love Karoake.
2) I lived in the apartments adjacent to Egos and had to walk by the bar many times on my way to check the mail. That was 1991-1995 maybe?!?!
Lots of personal memories there.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 3:58 PM

Count me in. I'll invite my group too lol

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 3:53 AM

Redevelopment Planned for Six-Acre Site on South Congress

Quote:
An application for a planned unit development (PUD) at an approximately six-acre land assembly on South Congress Avenue could represent the next step towards building out the South Central Waterfront planning area directly south of the river near downtown Austin. Filed with the city earlier this week, the PUD concerns a collection of three adjacent tracts located around 500 South Congress Avenue, containing the 115-unit South Congress Square apartment complex and two office buildings at 510 South Congress Avenue and 105 West Riverside Drive.

New York-based international development firm The Related Companies, best known for massive projects like Hudson Yards but now turning its interest to a number of sites in South Austin, purchased these properties out of bankruptcy for $65 million from perpetually struggling local firm World Class Holdings last summer. The eventual plan for the site is some sort of mixed-use redevelopment, but now that the owners appear to be kicking off the PUD negotiation process with the city for the land, we’ll probably soon get a better idea of precisely what’s in store for this uniquely large site. Local land use law firm Armbrust & Brown filed the PUD application with the city earlier this week, but no details of its scope have been made public at this point.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Lake Flato is the AOR. Hotel & Residential, a pedestrian plaza w/ retail between them. Both buildings around ~20-Stories.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Lake Flato is the AOR. Hotel & Residential, a pedestrian plaza w/ retail between them. Both buildings around ~20-Stories.
Whoa. That's great news. Lake Flato, retail, AND an urban plaza? This lot is important for connecting the retail section of South Congress with all the coming development on the shore.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 10:16 PM

Both of these projects are AMAZING! Hopefully we get to see something going.

My friends and I have been trekking to that part of town for night life lately and we definitely see the potential!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Whoa. That's great news. Lake Flato, retail, AND an urban plaza? This lot is important for connecting the retail section of South Congress with all the coming development on the shore.
Any word on where Ego's fits into this? If it's not likely to be brought back in, brace for the NIMBY outcry.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 9:34 PM

Austin | 500 S. Congress | 5 Twrs | Tallest are ~50 Flrs/575 Ft & ~40 Flrs/? Ft | Pro

From the ABJ:

"A New York-based real estate development firm is planning to transform a 6-acre site at the intersection of South Congress Avenue and West Riverside Drive with high-rise towers — the latest indication that Austin's downtown skyline is poised to expand across Lake Bird Lake.
The Related Cos. wants to establish a planned unit development with a maximum building height of 575 feet, or about 50 stories. The multitower project would include approximately 800 residential units, as well as a 225-room hotel, 200,000 square feet of office space, 90,000 square feet of retail space, 30,000 square feet of space for restaurants and a 25,000-square-foot grocery store, in addition to an underground parking garage, according to documents submitted to the city."

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...velopment.html

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Feb 22, 2024 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 9:38 PM

Related is no Wilson Capital. Absolutely love it.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=The ATX;10149683]From the ABJ:

"25,000-square-foot grocery store"

Very excited to see this mentioned, as I think it will help solidify the area as an actual walkable place to live, but that size gives me pause.

This could be, based purely on size:
a trader joes ( slight doubt given the proximity to Seaholm)

a large Aldis, which I'd hope for given the lack of presence from them in the
city in general

a smaller end Whole Foods ( downtown and plaza saltillo would conflict with that but who knows)

most likely in my opinion, an urbanized HEB concept.

While the Buffalo Heights location is a whopping 96,000 sqft, the one in San Antonio near downtown is only 12,000 Sqft. So with this location being double, it could prove to be how HEB enters the downtown-ish market for Austin.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 10:04 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Double post.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 10:06 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

The rendering looks like the development would be where YETI's HQ flagship store and the new Rivian showroom. Is that the case or am I confused??

On second inspection it looks like it would be where the hotel is.... maybe??

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
The rendering looks like the development would be where YETI's HQ flagship store and the new Rivian showroom. Is that the case or am I confused??

On second inspection it looks like it would be where the hotel is.... maybe??
It's the corner with the Chevron.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin