HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl12383 View Post
Frontier moved from Terminal 3 to 5 this morning. Anyone have an idea who will take over those gates? I assume its AA, but not clear from the announcement. Link to CDA announcement on the move is below:

http://www.flychicago.com/business/m...px?newsid=1464
Yes, AA. There is some gate swappage going on too. I think Alaska/Jet Blue are heading to the G concourse of T3 but it looks like their ticketing and baggage might be handled out of T2. I imagine they'll eventually move to T5 when that expansion is complete.

AA can squeeze more Eagle ops out of the odd side of the L concourse than the gates they'll give up in G.

Last edited by k1052; May 12, 2018 at 1:32 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 3:18 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl12383 View Post
Frontier moved from Terminal 3 to 5 this morning. Anyone have an idea who will take over those gates? I assume its AA, but not clear from the announcement. Link to CDA announcement on the move is below:

http://www.flychicago.com/business/m...px?newsid=1464
Curious, how will they allow all Frontier passengers to exit normally without having to go through the customs area? Will they just change the deboarding and have them all exit on the 2nd level or "departures" as terminal 5 is set up, as opposed to the 1st level for arrivals and customs? How do they get from that area in departures down to the baggage claim? You can't exit to the common area of terminal 5 and then come back into the baggage claim area, and typically you can't leave the baggage area of terminal 5 without your customs declaration sheet.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
Curious, how will they allow all Frontier passengers to exit normally without having to go through the customs area? Will they just change the deboarding and have them all exit on the 2nd level or "departures" as terminal 5 is set up, as opposed to the 1st level for arrivals and customs? How do they get from that area in departures down to the baggage claim? You can't exit to the common area of terminal 5 and then come back into the baggage claim area, and typically you can't leave the baggage area of terminal 5 without your customs declaration sheet.
Yes, passengers exit to the terminal upper level instead of the lower level halls to CBP.

T5 has a domestic baggage claim outside the CBP facility.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 11:15 PM
BANNED

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...-gets-big.html

United Airlines' investment in biofuels gets big boost this week

By Lewis Lazare
– Reporter, Chicago Business Journal

4 hours ago

United Airlines has for several years trumpeted its belief in developing environmentally-friendly biofuels and its determination to be in the forefront of using biofuels to power its fleet of hundreds of jet aircraft.

Toward that end, the carrier was one of only two airlines (the other being Cathay Pacific) to become minority investors in Fulcrum BioEnergy.

On Wednesday, Fulcrum broke ground in Reno, Nevada on the first of several plants the company intends to build that will convert landfill and household garbage into renewable low-carbon fuel for jets.

That Reno plant is expected to come on line in early 2020. When fully operational, the it will covert approximately 175,000 tons of household garbage into more than 10.5 million gallons of biofuel each year.

When United announced its investment in Fulcrum in 2015, the carrier said the plan was for the biofuel company to construct future plants near some of United’s key hub airports.

Now sources are reporting that Chicago, where United has its largest hub at O’Hare International Airport, might be where Fulcrum comes to build out one of its first additional biofuel production facilities after Reno.

A United spokesman would not confirm Fulcrum’s game plan, but suggested an announcement about future Fulcrum plants could be forthcoming.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 6:52 PM
Plenary pleasures.

I had a suspicion this may happen, glad I was right:

City launches international design competition for O'Hare

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...gn-competition

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I had a suspicion this may happen, glad I was right:

City launches international design competition for O'Hare

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...gn-competition
Great news. This is probably the most important project in the city in terms of architecture. It has to be done right.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 3:15 AM
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Great news. This is probably the most important project in the city in terms of architecture. It has to be done right.
AWESOME.

I hope the design theme extends all the way through the concourses, and not just the roadway facing terminal building.
Like the Madrid airport concourses:
https://www.designbuild-network.com/...as-airport.jpg

Not saying a red mustache looks good, just that the design is carried over from the main terminal.
Hope there's money to compete with the Singapore's and Dubai's, not just LAX or DEN.

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jun 11, 2018 at 6:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 8:33 PM
TL;DR

^ That depends who competes and what the terms of the competition are. A lot of times the competition isn't really a design competition, it's a competitive bidding process for design/build services where each team hires a different architect and they all compete on several factors (like cost) that often put the design in a backseat role.

If it is a pure design competition where architects themselves are the leads, and the competition is open to all reasonable/qualified entries, then we can guess some of the architects who might submit. I assume Helmut Jahn will submit something, O'Hare terminals are kind of his thing. Probably also something from Cesar Pelli, and maybe Fentress or SOM. Those are the Americans. We might get some Brits like Norman Foster or Richard Rogers also. I would love a Calatrava airport, but I don't think anyone in the US will ever hire him again to do transport facilities after the epic WTC fail.

TBH the current T1 and the landside areas for T2 and T3 are already world-class after the most recent round of Helmut Jahn/Werner Sobek renovations a decade ago. Very minimalist and sleek but the details are carefully planned and elegant AF.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ That depends who competes and what the terms of the competition are. A lot of times the competition isn't really a design competition, it's a competitive bidding process for design/build services where each team hires a different architect and they all compete on several factors (like cost) that often put the design in a backseat role.

If it is a pure design competition where architects themselves are the leads, and the competition is open to all reasonable/qualified entries, then we can guess some of the architects who might submit. I assume Helmut Jahn will submit something, O'Hare terminals are kind of his thing. Probably also something from Cesar Pelli, and maybe Fentress or SOM. Those are the Americans. We might get some Brits like Norman Foster or Richard Rogers also. I would love a Calatrava airport, but I don't think anyone in the US will ever hire him again to do transport facilities after the epic WTC fail.

TBH the current T1 and the landside areas for T2 and T3 are already world-class after the most recent round of Helmut Jahn/Werner Sobek renovations a decade ago. Very minimalist and sleek but the details are carefully planned and elegant AF.
T1 could use a significant renovation, parts of it are looking very tired. The small army of buckets catching leaks from the glass does not make a good impression.

Landside T2/T3 are indeed pretty good but I'm annoyed to no end that the overhead lighting in the, very expensive, canopy is like 1/2 to 3/4ths burned out and left that way.

Last edited by k1052; Jun 11, 2018 at 12:02 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
T1 could use a significant renovation, parts of it are looking very tired. The small army of buckets catching leaks from the glass does not make a good impression.

Landside T1/T2 are indeed pretty good but I'm annoyed to no end that the overhead lighting in the, very expensive, canopy is like 1/2 to 3/4ths burned out and left that way.
A new roof for T1 is part of the plan. A good cleaning would do wonders as well.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:12 PM

Ethiopian Airlines first 787 flight today at O'Hare. It was a few days later than originally planned.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Ethiopian Airlines first 787 flight today at O'Hare. It was a few days later than originally planned.
Very nice. Hopefully this route should be done very well. It will be so successful flight.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:28 AM
1st Ward

Chicago Becomes Only American City Offering Service to All Continents
Source:https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/c...ontinents.html

Quote:
Chicago will have something in common with Doha, Dubai, London and Johannesburg by the end of the year: their airports offer direct air service to every continent. The Chicago Tribune reports Chicago O’Hare International Airport joined the elite club with the addition of an Ethiopian Airlines flight.

On Monday, June 11, the first of three weekly flights between Addis Ababa Bole International Airport (ADD) and ORD landed in Chicago, adding service direct to Africa. With the flights, the airport is only one destination short of becoming the Americas’ only airport to offer service to every inhabited land mass.

The final piece will officially start in November 2018, when Air New Zealand begins flying to ORD. That’s when the flag carrier will offer regularly scheduled service to and from Auckland Airport (AKL).

This important designation comes as Chicago pursues an ambitious upgrade and expansion plan for their largest international airport. In February 2018, the city sought an $8.5 billion package to create a “Global Terminal” and add more gates to the major air terminal. The plan was contested by both of ORD’s hub tenants, American Airlines and United Airlines, over alleged deals made with the competing airline. However, both agreed to the expansion plan when more common-use gates were added.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:32 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post

Landside T2/T3 are indeed pretty good but I'm annoyed to no end that the overhead lighting in the, very expensive, canopy is like 1/2 to 3/4ths burned out and left that way.
Sounds like these could all be addressed with proper maintenance, no? Not an indicator of bad architecture.

Admittedly I haven't seen the leaking at T1 but it may just be certain components reaching the end of their lifespan.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Sounds like these could all be addressed with proper maintenance, no? Not an indicator of bad architecture.

Admittedly I haven't seen the leaking at T1 but it may just be certain components reaching the end of their lifespan.
I have no gripe with the architecture landside at T2/T3 unless that wasn't clear. Hopefully they can integrate at least some of it with the T2 replacement.

T1 has had leak issues for many years unfortunately. Hopefully they can get the fixed for the long term.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:29 PM

Looks like the Tollway and CP are closing in on a deal to route over their yard for the Elgin-O'Hare western access/bypass.

Tollway close to deal on land to build O'Hare ring road

Quote:
The Illinois tollway is expected to vote on and agree to a deal with the Canadian Pacific Railroad over land near Bensenville for a western bypass of O'Hare International Airport this week.

The agency has scheduled a last-minute meeting Wednesday concerning "approval of a letter of intent with the Canadian Pacific Railroad."

Both sides had been negotiating for months after disputes over the acquisition.
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/2018...hare-ring-road

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 3:04 PM
TL;DR

Glad to see this is finally happening. The Tollway and CP have been requesting 30-day extensions of their case from the Surface Transportation Board in Washington for over a year.

No mention of what the terms of the deal are, though, or how the Tollway will address CP's concerns... based on early maps it does seem like the new ring road will basically eviscerate CP's yard facilities in Bensenville, not the tracks themselves but the landside areas for trucking. Based on a Crain's article it sounds like the Tollway will have to agree to purchase additional land to replace CP's lost acreage, so I guess Victory Auto Wreckers' days are numbered.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 3:25 PM

What is the purpose of the Elgin-O'Hare western access/bypass? The Elgin Expressway ends near Hawk Hollow wilderness and Mallard lake, doesn't seem like much of a destination for an expressway. Are they going to also build a tunnel to get from this expressway to the terminals?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:27 PM
TL;DR

In the short term, provides better truck access to Elk Grove which is one of Chicagoland’s biggest industrial clusters. In the long term, it will enable a western terminal complex at O’Hare with checkins and a people mover to the east side.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:43 PM

Some of the long term options included a tunnel which would connect 390 and 190 underneath new concourses.

As for the west end of 390, IDOT has some proposals for an at-grade highway extension. I'm of the opinion that the US 20 should be upgraded to an expressway between the Elgin Expwy and 390, but it seems that IDOT doesn't think it is worth the expense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation