HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 10:33 AM

Same. The windows are similar to what you would see in a historic industrial building.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Same. The windows are similar to what you would see in a historic industrial building.
Or a lot of what's going up in West Midtown....which is a great thing.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 12:53 PM
Keith C.

Georgia State Stadium Atlanta, GA Summerhill Neighborhood

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 11:43 PM

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 3:17 PM

Developer buys 16-story Summerhill hotel

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ummerhill.html
Quote:
An Atlanta developer known for urban, mixed-use projects in the city’s southeast neighborhoods has purchased the tallest building in Summerhill, potentially hastening the area’s revitalization from a sea of empty parking lots.

What’s next: Pellerin Real Estate could begin community meetings about the future of the 16-story hotel at 450 Hank Aaron Drive/Capitol Ave. early next year, said principal Phillipe Pellerin. Pellerin Real Estate has developed several projects, most notably The Beacon Atlanta in Grant Park. “We know the plan is not to raze the building, and we feel strongly about that,” Pellerin said of the old hotel.

Engaging the community: In coming months, there will be feasibility studies on apartments, student housing and hotel rooms, initial work with architects on new designs, and discussions with other developers already revitalizing Summerhill. “We need to talk with the community,” Pellerin said. For now, the property will operate as the Downtown Atlanta Summerhill Hotel. A new management group has been brought in and the current hotel staff was retained.

New direction: Summerhill hasn’t been the most welcoming pedestrian district during its lifetime. Even today, it’s still connected by sprawling parking lots that once served Fulton County Stadium and Turner Field. “How will we make a more pedestrian-oriented corridor?” Pellerin asked.

Surrounded by new projects: The 3.2-acre hotel property is a key to the transition to a denser, connected district on the north side of Summerhill at Hank Aaron Drive and Fulton Street. Across the intersection, Georgia State is planning an $85 million Convocation Center. Nearby, Carter is entering the final stages of a new apartment project. The surrounding area has new townhomes, student housing and apartments underway, along with old brick buildings on Georgia Avenue turned into new stores and restaurants. A Bus Rapid Transit, or BRT, line could also run by the old hotel tower. “We’d like this area to become more welcoming to pedestrians, not just vehicles,” Pellerin told Atlanta Business Chronicle.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 11:18 PM

Georgia State Convocation Center Groundbreaking Set For Nov. 17

https://whatnowatlanta.com/georgia-s...n-november-17/
Quote:
Construction of Georgia State University’s (GSU) $85.2 million convocation center at the intersection of Fulton Street and Capitol Avenue will get underway next week, according to a press release Wednesday. GSU President Mark Becker will host a groundbreaking ceremony at 10 a.m., November 17, at 455 Capitol Ave., to kick off the building phase of the project. The site sits across the street from the Ramada Plaza hotel which is set for revitalization.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 1:33 PM

^amazing. Summerhill could be the neighborhood of the decade 2020-2030 like O4W was for the 10s.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
^amazing. Summerhill could be the neighborhood of the decade 2020-2030 like O4W was for the 10s.
Meantime, it would be nice if these communities strengthened their connection with the rest of the city by way of the connecting corridors...i.e., Ponce and North Ave west to Midtown for Old Forth Ward.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Meantime, it would be nice if these communities strengthened their connection with the rest of the city by way of the connecting corridors...i.e., Ponce and North Ave west to Midtown for Old Forth Ward. Atlanta has many great neighborhoods, but there needs to be better connections to other places, uninterrupted.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 5:33 PM

Quote:
My money is on West Midtown, especially the area along Howell Mill.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I could definitely see that happening. I think Summerhill is right now where West Midtown was for several years before it really took off with just the foundation of a revitalized neighborhood. It has the advantages of being a more cohesive neighborhood, adjacent to Downtown and GSU, and the planned BRT.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:33 AM

Summerhill is being connected to Downtown and Midtown with fully-funded rapid bus transit.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalResNativAtlant View Post
Summerhill is being connected to Downtown and Midtown with fully-funded rapid bus transit.
Speaking of, here’s the latest presentation. Included bike lanes on Capitol Ave between Georgia & Fulton (as well as a cycle track and bike lane in downtown):
https://85ef17d0-8d05-4f37-a8b8-ea57...8c9a54157d.pdf

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 12:57 PM

As well as connecting to the south beltline, I'm thinking these BRT lines are a more viable option to get from Marta/Peachtree over to the east and west beltline than investing in fixed rail. Another thought is run one up Piedmont to Lindbergh.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
As well as connecting to the south beltline, I'm thinking these BRT lines are a more viable option to get from Marta/Peachtree over to the east and west beltline than investing in fixed rail. Another thought is run one up Piedmont to Lindbergh.
This is part why the North Ave BRT is so important. It’s a fairly short trip between the BeltLine to a transit station. For example the fastest trip I took from between the EST & North Ave took 3 minutes. Granted we hit all greens and think we only stopped twice, but that was awesome.

I’m all for BRT & LRT extensions, however the near term implementation of the BRT systems will be helpful. I’ll be more vocal for the crosstown LRT only if it receives dedicated lanes. Otherwise, I’d rather LRT state in the right of way on the BeltLine and we just have BRT for all crosstown routes.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:36 PM

I will up you one. Have the BRT totally integrated with traffic signals and lane clearing signals. Have one continuous loop from North Ave Marta, up W Peach to 15th St. continuing on to the proposed 15th/connector overfly ramp and up 75 to whatever they call the baseball park, then back down US 41 to 75 and 15th St, then down Spring to North Ave. over to west beltline, then back on North to the east beltline, then back to North Ave Marta. A separate BRT from North Ave up Piedmont to Lindbergh, back down Piedmont to 14th, and south on Juniper or Spring back to North Ave. With those loops in place many car riders would start using BRT. Transfers or those not needing to ride the complete loop could hang out at North Ave Marta or Arts Station Marta and pick up a faster alternative. But, hell don't mind me I'm just the friendly neighborhood libertarian.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:29 PM

The backbone of Cobb County’s transit plan is basically that BRT line portion between Cumberland and Arts Center station, which is also basically the same route 110 at a more frequent interval.

MARTA BRT routes are receiving transit signal priority technology to communicate with traffic signals and receive priority to the buses.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
The backbone of Cobb County’s transit plan is basically that BRT line portion between Cumberland and Arts Center station, which is also basically the same route 110 at a more frequent interval.

MARTA BRT routes are receiving transit signal priority technology to communicate with traffic signals and receive priority to the buses.
That's correct. Integrate the 110 and Gwinnett/ATL transit routes with the Marta BRT. Not a big deal. All BRT buses don't necessarily have to carry the same logo. Make it convenient to the user.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
That's correct. Integrate the 110 and Gwinnett/ATL transit routes with the Marta BRT. Not a big deal. All BRT buses don't necessarily have to carry the same logo. Make it convenient to the user.
I agree and think that’s the way the region is going. And one pass to rule them all, similar to the SUICA & Pasmo cards in Tokyo or octopus cards in Hong Kong. And to add I meant the R10. Route 110 goes up Peachtree to Buckhead from arts center.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 8:04 PM

Grading is well underway for the GSU convocation center

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta