HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 3:13 AM
Wen Lambo

A little south Utah county action in the news...

Provided by Eda ArchitectsThe Spanish Fork Justice Center will house the city's police department and 4th District Court. The proposed 58,500-square-foot building carries an estimated $13 million price tag. It will be the new home for the Spanish Fork Police Department and will also provide space for 4th District Court.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650210106,00.html

Justice center unveiled

Sp. Fork to begin construction in '07

By Jeremy Twitchell
Deseret Morning News
SPANISH FORK — Officials and residents this month got a peek at the design for a new Spanish Fork Justice Center, which the city plans to begin building next year.
The proposed 58,500-square-foot building carries an estimated $13 million price tag. It will be the new home for the Spanish Fork Police Department and will also provide space for 4th District Court.
Architects from Edwards and Daniels Architects in Salt Lake City unveiled preliminary designs for the facility at a City Council meeting earlier this month. The core design for the building is set and the architects are now working on the details in preparation for a groundbreaking in spring 2007.
Tom Brennan, the project architect from EDA, said designing a building for two distinct users posed quite a challenge.
"It really leads to a solution that consists of two separate buildings with shared mechanical and support spaces," Brennan said.
The design team placed a premium on keeping the two entities as separate as possible, down to providing a specific entrance for each one.
"While (the police and the court system) are related, I think they are distinct entities," Brennan said. "When they share a building, I think there becomes a concern, or a perception by the public, that maybe they're not separate. But by having two separate entrances, we've tried to show a respect for that separation."
The facility is being designed to handle any projected growth for at least 25 years, and Brennan said it represents a solid investment that should be functional for at least 50 years.
When the building was first discussed by the City Council earlier this year, council members considered building the structure as essentially a large shell, then finishing off areas as growth dictated. The design set forth by EDA, however, calls for a completed structure that will be easily expandable along the exterior as more space is needed.
Initially, the building will have two courtrooms, one for district court and one for juvenile court, and the necessary office and clerk space for the courts. Plans call for up to two additional courtrooms as needed in the future. Some of the workload from the 4th District chambers in Provo could be moved to Spanish Fork eventually, said 4th District court executive Paul Vance, but no details for any such shift have been planned.
Vance said court representatives have been meeting weekly with EDA, and he approves of the direction the building is taking.
"I think it's going to be very impressive," he said. "Tom's doing a great job and we're working very well with the Spanish Fork Police Department."
Earlier this year, the Spanish Fork City Council authorized the issuance of bonds of up to $14 million for the project. The council also voted to alter the property tax rate slightly to generate approximately $255,000 in additional funds each year to help pay for the building.
Fourth District Court will technically be leasing space in the building from Spanish Fork City. The money the city collects in lease payments will be used to pay off the bond.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-mail: jtwitchell@desnews.com

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 5:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145
Leebuddy, I noticed alot of activity in that area between the interchanges of American Fork and Pleasant Grove. We went to Provo for Thanksgiving dinner and passed quite a bit of new construction currently underway. At least there seems to be alot going on, even right now. I'll take some pics of what I saw in couple of days when I pass by. I need to get into the habit of taking the camera with me in the car.

I haven't been down that way in awhile. Not since Buildinggurl and I met up with Nic that one time. Nice to hear that gound has been broken in that area. There is alot of other building projects going on other then that hotel like that new BMW dealershil being built and alot of apartments and retails. PG is a fast growing area that's for sure.
That is one thing that i've learn delts is that i never leave home now without my camera. LOL.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 3:26 PM

Careful WasatchOne. Does this article meet the new qualifications of development?

Hey, According to the new Sandpoint Idaho standard established by Cottonwood, this would not qualify as a worthy project. After all, Utah Valley has only about a half million people as part of a metro of two and a quarter million. Wasatch, we must raise our development standard's to the like's of Metro Sandpoint or Metro Malad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One
A little south Utah county action in the news...

Provided by Eda ArchitectsThe Spanish Fork Justice Center will house the city's police department and 4th District Court. The proposed 58,500-square-foot building carries an estimated $13 million price tag. It will be the new home for the Spanish Fork Police Department and will also provide space for 4th District Court.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650210106,00.html

Justice center unveiled

Sp. Fork to begin construction in '07

By Jeremy Twitchell
Deseret Morning News
SPANISH FORK — Officials and residents this month got a peek at the design for a new Spanish Fork Justice Center, which the city plans to begin building next year.
The proposed 58,500-square-foot building carries an estimated $13 million price tag. It will be the new home for the Spanish Fork Police Department and will also provide space for 4th District Court.
Architects from Edwards and Daniels Architects in Salt Lake City unveiled preliminary designs for the facility at a City Council meeting earlier this month. The core design for the building is set and the architects are now working on the details in preparation for a groundbreaking in spring 2007.
Tom Brennan, the project architect from EDA, said designing a building for two distinct users posed quite a challenge.
"It really leads to a solution that consists of two separate buildings with shared mechanical and support spaces," Brennan said.
The design team placed a premium on keeping the two entities as separate as possible, down to providing a specific entrance for each one.
"While (the police and the court system) are related, I think they are distinct entities," Brennan said. "When they share a building, I think there becomes a concern, or a perception by the public, that maybe they're not separate. But by having two separate entrances, we've tried to show a respect for that separation."
The facility is being designed to handle any projected growth for at least 25 years, and Brennan said it represents a solid investment that should be functional for at least 50 years.
When the building was first discussed by the City Council earlier this year, council members considered building the structure as essentially a large shell, then finishing off areas as growth dictated. The design set forth by EDA, however, calls for a completed structure that will be easily expandable along the exterior as more space is needed.
Initially, the building will have two courtrooms, one for district court and one for juvenile court, and the necessary office and clerk space for the courts. Plans call for up to two additional courtrooms as needed in the future. Some of the workload from the 4th District chambers in Provo could be moved to Spanish Fork eventually, said 4th District court executive Paul Vance, but no details for any such shift have been planned.
Vance said court representatives have been meeting weekly with EDA, and he approves of the direction the building is taking.
"I think it's going to be very impressive," he said. "Tom's doing a great job and we're working very well with the Spanish Fork Police Department."
Earlier this year, the Spanish Fork City Council authorized the issuance of bonds of up to $14 million for the project. The council also voted to alter the property tax rate slightly to generate approximately $255,000 in additional funds each year to help pay for the building.
Fourth District Court will technically be leasing space in the building from Spanish Fork City. The money the city collects in lease payments will be used to pay off the bond.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-mail: jtwitchell@desnews.com

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 5:10 PM
Honored Member

Question Three Walker Brothers Developments?

Also Posted on I.F. Projects:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F.
Yes, Delts, I know the Walker Brothers were developing in Provo and St. George. I don't know if it is DBA McNeil Development or not. McNeil is also developing an industrial/business park a few miles away.

T.C. is mixed use, but not big box. While Wal-Mart borders on the west, it is not officially part of T.C. Tenants are more professionals: lawyers, CPAs, second offices for some medical practices etc. Today it was announced that Edge Wireless is moving a 30 person call center to T. C. from Bend, OR. There is a belief that as business grows, Edge Wireless may occupy other space at T.C. That is kind of interesting news, given that 97% (or potential more, now) space is leased at T.C. I'm wondering if they are thinking ahead to when T.C. redevelops on the east bank of the river.

I'll try to look at the Jamestown Development, in N. Provo. Where does N. Provo start compared to Orem, Lindon, Pleasant Grove (with that nice convention center and two high rise hotels announced)? It seems to all run together in my mind and come to a common point at the Purple Turtle . Naw - I know that is American Fork, but how far on University Ave. does one drive to be in N. Provo?

Due to the great information avaiable on the Utah County Thread, this will be posted both in he I.F. Projects and Utah County Projects. After all, I think there are a lot of people who are investing in developments in both areas, and the developments are similar, but unique for each city.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 6:48 PM
Wen Lambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145
Hey, According to the new Sandpoint Idaho standard established by Cottonwood, this would not qualify as a worthy project. After all, Utah Valley has only about a half million people as part of a metro of two and a quarter million. Wasatch, we must raise our development standard's to the like's of Metro Sandpoint or Metro Malad.
Yeah, and Cottonwood is an absolute retard

...he is one of the few forumers I cannot stand.

Ill post whatever I deem worthy.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One
Yeah, and Cottonwood is an absolute retard

...he is one of the few forumers I cannot stand.

Ill post whatever I deem worthy.

WasatchOne,

: :

Damn Right You Will !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernlad
Delts145, with you around there is no need to even read any local newspaper since you copy and paste countless articles into these threads.
Maybe you should start a Utah Horoscope thread.
Seriously.
I like this thread cuz I can't get any utah valley info anywhere else damn it so shut the f*** up! grrr

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 2:22 AM

N2I.F. / Re: Jamestown in Provo

Hey bud, here's a couple of pic's of that Jamestown Business park we were talking about.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 2:34 AM

Publication: Shopping Centers Today
PROVO LIFESTYLE SPARKS SISTER PROJECT
By Donna Mitchell

Anyone been here lately? I hear its turning into quite the destination area. Apparantly alot of nice residential mix going in.

The Village at Riverwoods, a 152-acre mixed-use project under construction in Provo, Utah, was inspired by the success of a nearby lifestyle center.
Here’s something not seen every day in shopping center development — the retail portion of a multiuse development conceived of and built before the rest of the project.

The continued success of the 190,000-square-foot The Shops at Riverwoods, an open-air lifestyle center built in Provo, Utah, in 1998, has sparked the creation of The Village at Riverwoods, a 152-acre development that will be a mix of more retail, residential and office space.

With the arrival of The Village in the spring of 2002, The Shops, which caters to the mostly Mormon population surrounding Provo, is expected to play an even more integral role in the larger Riverwoods community, located in the mountainous, high-desert environment of Utah’s Provo Canyon.

"After the success of The Shops, [we] had the option to build additional retail on the vacant land along the Provo River or think of a better use," said Ralph S. Epstein, managing director of Terranet Investments, developer of The Shops at Riverwoods. "The decision was made that mixed-use would support the community better than pure retail." Terranet Investments is a two-pronged partnership comprised of San Francisco-based TRS Partners and Esnet Management of Provo.

In February of this past year, a partnership called Terranet Investments No. 2, broke ground on The Village at Riverwoods. The Village will contain 90 single-level homes, 33 town houses and 14 loft-style homes over retail space. The loft-style homes will be built over 25,000 square feet of additional retail space, bringing the total retail square footage in the Riverwoods community to 215,000.

"With the successful development of The Shops at Riverwoods already in place, the hard part of the urban village plan was already completed," said Christopher Leinberger, former co-owner of Robert Charles Lesser and Co., who provided the market research for the Riverwoods concept.

"Our strategy is to have an appropriate amount of retail supported by homes and offices. Where so many developers go astray is by overbuilding retail,’’ Epstein explained.

Cleveland-based KeyBank provided the $36 million construction loan for The Village, which includes the 25,000 square feet of retail.

Like The Shops, which encourages a leisurely, walking retail experience, The Village site is being arranged with wide sidewalks to encourage a pedestrian environment. Once completed, The Village is expected to accommodate 500 residents.

"It is meant to be a new urban village, a walkable environment to live, work, shop and be entertained — all within an area where you don’t have to get in a car and drive if you don’t want to.’’

Some community leaders welcome the concept as a way to deal with the threat of suburban sprawl in Utah’s growing population. Kristine Thompson, community relations and development manager for Envision Utah, an organization that oversees "quality of life’’ issues such as traffic and pollution in the area, said: "We saw a lot of communities similar to this built back in the 1930s and 1940s, and in the later years, auto-oriented developments. However, we’re seeing a change in what people are looking for. Riverwoods is one of the first that has tackled this.’’

Shortly after The Village’s Feb. 20 groundbreaking, an editorial column in Provo’s The Daily Herald read: "We hope this becomes a model for development, because Utah needs to do something about growth. It’s a concept that’s worked on the East Coast for years, with people being able to get around major cities without ever owning a car. It’s time we heeded the lesson and put it in place here."

Field Paoli Architects of San Francisco designed The Village as well as The Shops. Lead architect and principal Rob Anderson and his team had a pedestrian lifestyle in mind when they designed The Village. The streets are narrow, to discourage speeding, but can also accommodate sport utility vehicles and other large cars as well as parallel parking. Similar to The Shops, natural fieldstone is incorporated into the design of the homes. The material was built into the bases of some of the houses, and used in some landscaping touches around The Village. That choice had a unifying effect on the look of the Riverwoods community, Anderson said. The loft units seem to exemplify what the builders are trying to accomplish for the community, by blending retail and residential elements into a convenient town setting. Those units will be built over retail space, and some of their entrances will face The Shops, Anderson said. About half of that space might be dedicated to neighborhood retailers — possibly a flower shop, shoe repair store or a specialty market that sells whole foods. And the stores would complement, not compete with, the other retailers in the larger shopping area, Epstein said.

As for the office park, it is about halfway completed now, with 1 million square feet of space developed. The remainder should be completed over the next five to seven years, according to Sina von Reitzenstein, a spokeswoman for Terranet Investments.

As for the success of The Shops at Riverwoods, finding the right tenant mix to serve the conservative Mormon population was important to the center’s success.

"Several of the better retailers told us they were having a difficult time finding an appropriate format for their stores in Provo, but they felt there was a market," said Epstein of Terranet. Specifically, he said, "there was not an Ann Taylor, Williams-Sonoma or Borders in Provo. The retailers were the ones who directed us to Provo, and that’s how it all came together."

The Shops at Riverwoods draws customers from Provo, where it is located, and Orem, a city with which its boundaries are intertwined. The 38-store lifestyle center is about 9 miles from Provo Towne Centre in Provo, and 4 miles from University Mall in Orem, both enclosed regional malls. Each store at The Shops at Riverwoods is built with a distinct facade that makes it seem as if the retailers own their buildings.

The cities of Provo and Orem have a combined population of about 300,000. They are part of a swath of Utah called the Greater Wasatch area, which is growing. Its current 2.2 million population is expected to increase to over 5 million by 2050, mostly from internal growth — Utahans have larger families than the U.S. average. In addition, they tend to stay in the state because of their predominantly Mormon roots, according to several sources.

A large portion of the local population belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Initially, apparel retailers were unsure about how to approach a market dominated by Mormons. They dress conservatively. They discourage shopping on Sundays. Amenities like coffeeshops would be lost on them, since the beverage is forbidden in the faith, and there is not much coffee consumption in that market.

But as it turned out, some finer points of the Mormon lifestyle helped provide fertile retailing ground for The Shops at Riverwoods.

Take the dress codes. Students at Provo-based Brigham Young University are required to dress neatly. According to Epstein, the young adults like to be hip while adhering to that dress code, and The Shops at Riverwoods helps them do that. Also, a store like Talbots often carries the conservative clothing that Mormon women prefer.

By now average specialty store sales at The Shops at Riverwoods have reached about $300 per square foot, according to von Reitzenstein.

The Shops is anchored by Borders Books & Music, Copeland’s Sports, the Wynnsong theater and a group of stores under Gap Inc.’s umbrella, namely Gap Kids, Baby Gap and Banana Republic.

"In a nutshell, I think it’s very well conceived,’’ said Jon Anderson, president of Colliers Clark CRG, a commercial real estate brokerage firm in Provo.

"If it had been just shops, or just offices, each would have done OK, but together there is a magic that creates a synergy to make it work."
Shopping Centers Today
Current Issue November 2006

Last edited by delts145; Nov 29, 2006 at 1:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 1:43 PM

Post Resort near Utah Lake harbor

American Fork council still uncertain what to do with its harbor area

By Alison Snyder
Deseret Morning News
AMERICAN FORK — A proposal to develop a resort area north of the existing American Fork boat harbor on Utah Lake is still rough and uncertain.

Jason Olson, Deseret Morning News The boat harbor and proposed marina zone are located on a flood plain next to Utah Lake.

The American Fork City Council and Planning Commission met recently to discuss what is referred to as a resort area in the city's land-use plan. And even though city planners had drafted a potential zoning ordinance for the area, council members ended the day still unsure of the direction they want to take with the area surrounding the harbor.
"As the city moves south, this is clearly more important," city planner Rod Despain said. "It's not something that is way down on the south end against the lake. It's something we have to address, and that is a large part of what the ordinance is trying to do."
The ordinance is strict in the sense that it is specific about what could and could not be built near the harbor.
Its focus is on the development of the "marina" — its infrastructure and other supporting facilities such as boat storage areas, additional parking, picnic areas and possibly other marina-related commercial development.
Overall, these facilities would need to "enhance" the activities of the boat harbor, according to the draft of the ordinance.
There were also a few concerns brought forward by city council members and planners alike.
The boat harbor and the proposed marina zone are both located on a flood plain by Utah Lake, or "shoreline protection area." Historically, the lake has been known to rise and cover any shoreland below 4,495 feet elevation.
Council members and planners also harbor concerns about what measures would have to be taken by the city to protect any development should the water level of the lake rise.
Also, the swamp-like nature of the flood plain also poses liquefaction danger to buildings in the case of an earthquake, which would have to be accounted for in the engineering and construction of permanent structures.
But what the city council was really concerned about was the commercial aspects in the development in the area.
"Which drives which?" Despain said. "The marina drives the commercial, or does the commercial exist independent?"

The city has had expressions of interest from condominium builders, but Despain said the city wants to avoid defeating what it is trying to accomplish in the area, which, according to the draft of the ordinance, essentially would be marina-oriented development.
Potential projects the draft mentions are camping and picnic areas, short-term lodging facilities, curio shops, gas and service stations, boat launch ramps, golf courses and horse stables and arenas. Other facilities with similar uses will also be considered by recommendation of the Planning Commission.
Included in the discussion was private landowner Ruben Adam's proposal for the development of his property, part of which is located on what could become the resort zone.
His proposal includes a high-security storage area for boats, complete with heated units, valet service to the boat ramps and cleaning service afterwards. Also included in his proposal was a timeshare lodge facility and a small commercial zone with a convenience store, fast food restaurant and a boat-rental facility.
Adams said he would raise the level of the property to lift it out of the flood zone, in addition to building a protective concrete wall on the property line.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 5:33 PM

Riverwoods has a lot of potential, but it isn't great yet. They need better shops.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 1:50 PM

Post Lindon building: a host of uses

I had been wondering for some time now, what this building was going to be. It's pretty large and very visible from I-15 between Pleasant Grove and Orem.

By Sara Israelsen
Deseret Morning News
LINDON — With the touch of a button, the full-size basketball court on the first floor can be transformed into a reception center.

Stuart Johnson, Deseret Morning News Founder Bil Bowser, left, and Bill Benz, chief executive officer, expect Noah's in Lindon to be completed by Dec. 18.
Scattered throughout two other levels will be billiard and surround-sound theater rooms, alongside racquetball courts and hi-tech business conference rooms.
To top it all off? An ice skating rink on the roof.
Developers of Noah's — a $5 million, 30,000-square-foot building in Lindon — say that at the completion of the project they will fill a niche in the "gathering market" that has been ignored for years.
"The whole idea is that we want it to be what you want it to be," said founder Bil Bowser.
Noah's, according to the company's slogan, touts itself as "one building (with) hundreds of uses."
Noah's will be available for wedding receptions, family reunions, business meetings, corporate retreats, religious and civic groups or the sports enthusiast who wants to play racquetball at 3 in the morning, developers say.
The large gray building with a triangle roof sits in the middle of a field just east of I-15 near the Lindon and Pleasant Grove exit. Construction began in May, and crews are working feverishly to finish by Dec. 18.
However, the idea has been percolating for nearly 11 years.
Bowser saw the great demand and the variety of uses for the "cultural hall" — a large, multipurpose room in meetinghouses used by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
"What does the rest of the world do?" Bowser asked, and the idea was born.
Meshing the need for large one-time gathering facilities with the constant demand for sports venues and corporate destinations, Bowser and company CEO Bill Benz spent thousands of hours designing the building.

Stuart Johnson, Deseret Morning News The reception/convention/sports/gathering place called Noah's occupies 30,000 square feet. Owners say the building will have hundreds of uses.

"The niche for this concept just got bigger and bigger," Bowser said.
The building will have wireless Internet, plasma TV screens in most rooms and a sound system that even pipes music to the parking lot.
It's the technology that makes the building so different, developers say.
When users want to reserve a room, they call a reservation hotline or visit a Web site to pay with a credit card and get a confirmation code. Reservations are taken, and the building is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
"You don't get in anywhere unless you have a code," Benz said.
That code will open the main door and then only the inner doors to rooms the individual has ordered for that session. A session is an hour and 15 minutes, with some time allowed so an individual can get in the building and change clothes for a sport or just get ready for an event.
Remote site management allows the company to watch all the doors and monitor video screens in each room through a $1 million employee- and computer-run control center in Peoa, a small town near Park City.
It's helpful in keeping costs low because only one maintenance person is needed to run the Lindon center.
The computer center can handle running dozens of buildings, which the group hopes will soon dot the country and world. The next location is already planned for South Jordan.
"Corporate America is going to go nuts over this," Benz said.
The land around Noah's is quickly being developed, and executives say they are looking forward to a convention center and Embassy Suites Hotel being planned in that area.
After all, Noah's won't have places for people to sleep — just things for people to do after waking up.
The other thing it doesn't have? A pool.
The main hall/basketball court, with its two entrances off the garden, can accommodate 300 people and even has a balcony for a band or a place to toast a bride and groom. The hoops retract into the ceiling, which can be lowered to decorate, then raised back to the desired height.
The price for such a package? One session in the main hall is $235, and an eight- to nine-hour package is about $1,500. However, basketball for an hour is $65.
Walnut flooring on the third floor makes for an elegant business conference. Or, flip the walls around to reveal full-length mirrors and bring out the ballet bars for a dance class.
The price tag for those rooms? Around $45 per session. A billiards room is $32 per session.
The roof is normally a gardenlike getaway, until the winter, when the open air, safely fenced roof is flooded to make a small skating rink, with heated window seats and a skate-in bathroom.
Skating costs about $165 per session.
And why call it Noah's? "Five thousand years of branding," Bowser replied with a laugh. "What Noah offered was a safe place and a gathering place. That's what we offer."
For more information, visit www.mynoahs.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 10:42 PM

New residential going in at Riverwood

Nestled at the mouth of Provo Canyon, along the beautiful Provo River, a new way of living is springing up, one which promotes a sense of community bytheuse of narrower streets to slow traffic and encourage walking, one with the expansive porches of old and plentiful landscaped common areas for neighbors to enjoy each other and the beautiful outdoor setting. The Village at Riverwoods has been designed with complete community integration in mind, creating a self-contained, walk-able Urban Village where people can live, work, shop, dine and be entertained all in a small-town setting.

The Village's two-, three- and four-story buildings combine classic design elements of a traditional small town along with the modern conveniences and style of city living. Homes are 1,200 to 2,900 square feet and are offered with mountain or river views, high quality finishes, bay windows, fireplaces, generous storage spaces, high ceilings, high-tech wiring, and two car garages. Groundbreaking took place in February of this year, and the first homes are expected to be delivered starting this November. The Village offers three distinctive home designs including; single level, townhomes and loft style homes in a wide range of prices.

Additional information about the Riverwoods Development may be found at www.fieldpaoli.com/site/pages/river.html

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 1:25 AM
BANNED

Unique Proposal to Clean Up Geneva Site
December 1st, 2006 @ 5:00pm

Ed Yeates Reporting

There are dozens of plans on the table on how to seal out the hazards of land once occupied by Geneva Steel, and then recover acres and acres of land.

But this particular proposal is fascinating - to say the least.

A Utah company called The Vision Group has built its reputation on what is called "bioremediation" of once polluted lands and waters. And its proposal has sparked considerable interest.

Mark Ellis, President, The Vision Group: "I would envision taking areas that are marginally useful, starting with Geneva, that would be about 70-thousand acre feet."

That's 70-thousand plus acre feet of material to seal and cover the Geneva site, and also remedy land farther south.

The proposal is to dredge accumulated clay and fine particle silts in Utah Lake to cover the bad ground. Once dried and compacted, the fill is ready for real estate.

There's enough sediment even in just a portion of the east side of the lake here to cover the site to a depth of four to 20 feet in some areas.

Ellis: "We found no PCB's in the sediments and we found no residual organic chemicals in the sediments."

The sediments would be dredged then transported to the Geneva site in a slurry--a potentially less expensive plan that would take about three to six months.

Ellis: "If our proposal were to go down the length of this lake and remove 12 feet of sediment, it would essentially increase by 300% the depth of the lake."

And that, Mark Ellis says, would clear up the lake providing a larger reservoir for water storage and a friendlier site for recreation.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 1:49 AM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebuddy
Unique Proposal to Clean Up Geneva Site
December 1st, 2006 @ 5:00pm

Ed Yeates Reporting

There are dozens of plans on the table on how to seal out the hazards of land once occupied by Geneva Steel, and then recover acres and acres of land.

But this particular proposal is fascinating - to say the least.

A Utah company called The Vision Group has built its reputation on what is called "bioremediation" of once polluted lands and waters. And its proposal has sparked considerable interest.

Mark Ellis, President, The Vision Group: "I would envision taking areas that are marginally useful, starting with Geneva, that would be about 70-thousand acre feet."

That's 70-thousand plus acre feet of material to seal and cover the Geneva site, and also remedy land farther south.

The proposal is to dredge accumulated clay and fine particle silts in Utah Lake to cover the bad ground. Once dried and compacted, the fill is ready for real estate.

There's enough sediment even in just a portion of the east side of the lake here to cover the site to a depth of four to 20 feet in some areas.

Ellis: "We found no PCB's in the sediments and we found no residual organic chemicals in the sediments."

The sediments would be dredged then transported to the Geneva site in a slurry--a potentially less expensive plan that would take about three to six months.

Ellis: "If our proposal were to go down the length of this lake and remove 12 feet of sediment, it would essentially increase by 300% the depth of the lake."

And that, Mark Ellis says, would clear up the lake providing a larger reservoir for water storage and a friendlier site for recreation.
That is the best plan I have heard of for that area! I tease some of my family that live near that lake and tell them they are living next to a BIG Toilet. Which I believe that joke has some substance to it. Especially when there have been numerous times where Payson/PG and other surrounding towns/citys have "accidentially" dumped raw sewage into the lake. But anyway if this plan were to go through in my opinion it could kill two birds with one stone, and that would really be benificial to Utah County in a major way imho... Good for Utah County, I hope this happens.

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 7:58 AM
Wen Lambo

Provo Seeks Road to Connect Interstate 15 to Airport
December 2nd, 2006 @ 9:44pm

PROVO, Utah (AP) -- Local officials are hoping to improve access to the city's airport by building a road connecting it to Interstate 15.

Chief Administrative Officer Wayne Parker said the city recently commissioned an environmental impact study to figure out how to build a freeway interchange and a southwest connector without damaging wetlands and wildlife.

"It's going to be a delicate project," Parker said.

The connector would run from the I-15 and University Avenue interchange to the airport, with other connections along the road. The study will take about three years.

Parker said the city is committed to the road for several reasons.

"It's important, No. 1, for the whole southwest quadrant of the city to be able to have improved access to the East Bay area and the freeway," he said.

There's also only one way in and out of the airport currently, he said.

Airport Director Steve Gleason said the road is one of several projects being considered.

With improvements to the airports' infrastructure, Gleason said regularly scheduled flights could come to the airport. But first, the airport will need radar.

Salt Lake International Airport administrators have given their support for radar at the Point of the Mountain, which would benefit the Provo Airport. Once that happens, city officials believe scheduled service will come.

"We have an airport and we have a market," Gleason said. "Airlines are the ones who decide if the market is such that they can make money by flying in and out of Provo."

The airport is also looking to expand the amount of hangars it has for general aviation.

Orem Mayor Jerry Washburn said the entire county could benefit from an expanded airport. "It is a municipal airport, but nevertheless, as the population grows and hopefully access to the airport improves and service increases, there will be more of our citizens as well as those from other communities who would be using it," he said.

Information from: The Daily Herald

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 8:05 AM

http://www.nba.com/dleague/utah/index.html

NEW YORK, December 2, 2006 – The NBA Development League (D-League) has awarded an expansion team to Orem, Utah, for the 2007-08 season, NBA Commissioner David Stern announced today. The team will play at the McKay Event Center.

“The D-League continues to provide the NBA and its teams the opportunity to cultivate talent, test new ideas and give young roster players a means to improve through game competition,” said Stern. “That commitment, coupled with delivering the game of basketball in an affordable, fun and family-oriented atmosphere, has more investors seeking to bring the D-League to their communities.

“Our minor league has a proven track record of developing talent both on and off the court, a trend we expect to continue,” said Stern. “Since the D-League’s inaugural season in 2001-02, more than 100 players, coaches, referees, athletic trainers and front-office personnel have moved to NBA teams or the league office.”

The team is owned and operated by Brandt Andersen, Founder and CEO of G Code Ventures. Over the past several years Andersen, 29, has been investing and working on cutting-edge creative projects and businesses. In 1999, while attending Brigham Young University, Andersen founded uSight, a leading provider of software products and services for small businesses. In 2004 uSight was named the second-fastest growing privately held company in America by INC Magazine. Andersen was the youngest CEO to make the list. In 2004, he sold a portion of the company to Kansas City based NMR Inc.

Andersen is currently the general partner and owner of two large real estate development projects, The Lakes at Sleepy Ridge surrounds the Sleepy Ridge Golf Course, a Dye Family Course, in Orem, Utah. He is also the general partner and owner of a real estate project for which he has employed the services of world-renowned architect Frank Gehry of Frank O Gehry and Associates. When completed, this Gehry collaboration in Lehi, Utah promises to become an architectural icon of the Western United States and marks the first time Gehry has agreed to work on a project in Utah.

Andersen graduated from BYU with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communications. He resides with his wife and two children in Provo, Utah. He has received multiple awards for entrepreneurship and continues to be a sought-after speaker.

"We are really excited to bring an NBA Development League Team to Utah County. This is a great place to live and work, and a community that loves basketball,” said Andersen. “Our goal is to provide the ultimate entertainment experience for our community. We can hardly wait for the opening tip."

The NBA Development League currently includes the Albuquerque Thunderbirds (N.M.), Anaheim Arsenal (Calif.), Arkansas RimRockers (Little Rock), Austin Toros (Texas), Bakersfield Jam (Calif.), Colorado 14ers (Broomfield), Dakota Wizards (Bismarck, N.D.), Fort Worth Flyers (Texas), Idaho Stampede (Boise), Los Angeles D-Fenders (Calif.), Sioux Falls Skyforce (S.D.) and Tulsa 66ers (Okla.).

“Brandt Andersen is the kind of entrepreneurial, passionate owner that is a perfect fit for the D-League,” said NBA D-League President Phil Evans. “The Utah County area is a market appreciative of quality basketball and entertainment options. We couldn’t be more excited about partnering with Brandt to deliver both for years to come.”

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 8:36 AM

pretty cool for Orem!

it would also be cool to see commercial flights into PVU

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord
http://www.nba.com/dleague/utah/index.html

Andersen is currently the general partner and owner of two large real estate development projects, The Lakes at Sleepy Ridge surrounds the Sleepy Ridge Golf Course, a Dye Family Course, in Orem, Utah. He is also the general partner and owner of a real estate project for which he has employed the services of world-renowned architect Frank Gehry of Frank O Gehry and Associates. When completed, this Gehry collaboration in Lehi, Utah promises to become an architectural icon of the Western United States and marks the first time Gehry has agreed to work on a project in Utah.
Somebody tell me what this Gehry collaboration in Lehi is all about. That sounds really interesting. A project that promises to become an architectural icon of the Western United States? You know, not too many years ago I would have never imagined Lehi morphing into what it is becoming. There are so many projects going on there and are soon to break ground, that are of an international scale. It just blows my mind!!!

Last edited by delts145; Dec 3, 2006 at 4:08 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 3:36 PM

Gehry? Many Visionary / Some Bizarre:Which will it be for Lehi?

Viperlord,
Put those P.I. skills to work and find out what this deal is with this "Iconic" project to be built in Lehi. A major landmark building by one of a handful of the world's most celebrated architect's is MAJOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of renowned architect Gehry's projects.

I'm not quite sure if I like the squeezed-toothpaste tube look. But the theory behind the style is fascinating. (Entitled, "Dancing Buildings")

When the sqeezed look is given more angularity it becomes pretty cool.

Perhaps, not quite what we are looking for in a new tallest. Then again, the more I look at this, the more I become infatuated with it.

Photo's of the renowned Guggenheim/Bilbao

One of Gehry's latest and most celebrated landmarks: "The Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles." This is one of my personal favorites.

Interior Gehry's Disney Hall

Last edited by delts145; Dec 3, 2006 at 4:11 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West