HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I think the Dis Hole IS big enough. The problem is the jerk that owns the land.
My understanding has been that 833 Chestnut aka the Gimbels 1927 expansion is in the way, regardless of the Goldenberg issue.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
My understanding has been that 833 Chestnut aka the Gimbels 1927 expansion is in the way, regardless of the Goldenberg issue.
I just assumed the existing building would be demolished so I count that in the development. Knocking that old crappy building down on the southwest corner of that block would be easier than the Gallery demo.

At any rate, the Dis Hole remains untouched because of Goldenberg and him alone.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 6:14 PM

Quote:
I just assumed the existing building would be demolished so I count that in the development. Knocking that old crappy building down on the southwest corner of that block would be easier than the Gallery demo.

At any rate, the Dis Hole remains untouched because of Goldenberg and him alone.
I like that building

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayormccheese View Post
I like that building
Yeah that building is the only reason I prefer 11th and Market. It's a beautiful building, you're just seeing the back of it from Market. It fronts 9th and Chestnut.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Yeah that building is the only reason I prefer 11th and Market. It's a beautiful building, you're just seeing the back of it from Market. It fronts 9th and Chestnut.

Oh $hit!

I had no idea that was the building! Scratch that. That thing has to stay. Back to the Gallery....-

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:11 AM

I can't defend when anyone says that what's currently standing on site is perfectly fine. I personally thing the current building on the site is an eyesore. That gray block with cut corners is better? Come on now

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
I can't defend when anyone says that what's currently standing on site is perfectly fine. I personally thing the current building on the site is an eyesore. That gray block with cut corners is better? Come on now
I find this a strange line of thought. It's not winning any beauty pageants, sure, but eyesore feels a bit strong. It's cromulent, if unattractive. Up close at street level on the north side of Market, it just looks like store fronts. You only really see the pig if you're walking on the south side of Market. Inside, meanwhile, is actually quite pleasant. It's sleek enough for a mall and full of light with a soaring glass ceiling. All that said, even if you think it's an eyesore, that doesn't seem to be a particularly compelling rationale to build an arena there.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I find this a strange line of thought. It's not winning any beauty pageants, sure, but eyesore feels a bit strong. It's cromulent, if unattractive. Up close at street level on the north side of Market, it just looks like store fronts. You only really see the pig if you're walking on the south side of Market. Inside, meanwhile, is actually quite pleasant. It's sleek enough for a mall and full of light with a soaring glass ceiling. All that said, even if you think it's an eyesore, that doesn't seem to be a particularly compelling rationale to build an arena there.
Yeah. Cromulent. I was just about to say that.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:35 PM

Quote:
I thought I read that there was a specific NBA rule that there can not be any residential space above an NBA arena.
I'm skeptical that's an actual policy. It would mostly just be a structural nightmare to have any kind of habitable space over a 200' wide columnless space.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Fashion District Tower proposal by , on Flickr
They spent the extra money for structure to support these towers shown.
Building them would have helped.
Since we are sharing the old renderings still, just a reminder that there is a newer one

https://centercityphila.org/uploads/...e-ppt-2023.pdf

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 11:15 PM

^^ when did that happen? Those look gorgeous.
If they could ensure that large developments one the empty sites to the south/east would be developed it would be a slam dunk

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 1:49 PM
Chris

Nice to read a thoughtful and informative article about East Market Street, past, present, future...

Philadelphia’s Market Street East searches for growth and renewal — with or without a new Sixers arena
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20240318.html

Of note, hopefully this means Adelman will move quickly to do something about Market (south side) between 10th and 11th.

Directly across from the arena site, on the south side between 11th and 10th, stands what is probably the roughest block on Market East.
The CVS pharmacy is still in business, but the Marshalls beside it is gone. The 1940s Robinson department store, designed by Victor Gruen, hailed as inventor of the shopping mall, is closed and hidden behind plywood. The former Rite Aid drug store is empty and locked.
Adelman said the Sixers’ purchase agreement includes two southside properties — and a 50% stake in the remaining two-thirds of the mall, now owned by California-based Macerich. A partnership agreement will govern leasing, expenses and other decisions.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 5:01 PM

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Projected percentage of fans to arrive by public transit: 40
Percentage of (3') doors from Jefferson Station directly into the arena: 5.7 (3 of 52)
Still super disappointed by the integration with Jefferson Station. Of course this could just be SEPTA being stubborn. But I imagine it's a lack a of creativity from both sides.

EDIT: nvm, the circulation studies flat out state patrons arriving from Jefferson Station at the 10th / Filbert entrance will have to go outside and re-enter the building. I imagine this is for security lines, but TD Garden doesn't seem to have this issue.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 7:45 PM

A lot of naysayers have mentioned how the arena will be a dead zone when there isn't an event. I love that all of these businesses on street level will be open regardless of an event or not. So during an event, this becomes a ticketed area right?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Looks great. My only complaint is that the design is pretty unimaginative. Barclays center in Brooklyn, for example, looks like a spaceship. This just looks… like a box. Hopefully the real life rendition is better on that front than the renderings.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprice1828 View Post
EDIT: nvm, the circulation studies flat out state patrons arriving from Jefferson Station at the 10th / Filbert entrance will have to go outside and re-enter the building. I imagine this is for security lines, but TD Garden doesn't seem to have this issue.
Centre Bell in Montreal doesn't either.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 5:05 PM

76 Place developers to present updated design proposal to review committee: https://www.audacy.com/kywnewsradio/...view-committee

This took place at 930am, I hate the timing of these meetings because I have work and can never join... meanwhile the small, vocal group of activists who protest everything can always make them...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 4:07 PM

There was a some van on Chestnut St this morning with blasting music out the windows and LED panels on the sides promoting 76th place. Congrats, you have now turned me against the arena.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 12:23 PM

jhdiesel

That sound horrible, who signed off on that marketing? Not saying it is, but I could totally see that being a false flag lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals