HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 8:20 AM

at 810 ft it will be even more drastic than the fist render shows. a full 100 ft is a substantial amount. and considering they are so close to each other, well you will see what i mean when built.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
Mmm... and what was suggested? Bulldozing all the buildings which line Metcalfe? brilliant
As I recall the proposal, which would go back to the late 1990s, a number of the historic Metcalfe buildings would have been moved, starting with the two NCC owned ones between Sparks and Wellington. I assume others would have been demolished and that new construction would have been set back to create room for the grand boulevard. I imagine it would have been a work lasting many decades, but I don't think they ever got to that level of detail.

In any event, I recall the idea being bounced around for a while but there was no uptake, and considerable opposition, on the Ottawa side. It's not that kind of city.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 5:59 PM

I personally have a problem with moving historic buildings or façadism. Everything about the building (that is original or has been there for the majority of its history) is historic; the bricks, windows, detailing, interior, structure, foundations and location.

Last edited by J.OT13; Aug 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 6:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
I disagree...being 100 feet taller than Suncor, the difference will be more substantial than that.
Yeah, 100ft is definitely more substantial than what was shown on the previous page. The North-South distance between Suncor and Brookfield Place won't even be much, maybe half a block, as Suncor has a big setback from 5th ave to the north, whereas pretty much all of BP's setback is on the southern section of the lot.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I personally have a problem with moving historic buildings or faradism. Everything about the building (that is original or has been there for the majority of its history) is historic; the bricks, windows, detailing, interior, structure, foundations and location.
Many would agree.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
As I recall the proposal, which would go back to the late 1990s, a number of the historic Metcalfe buildings would have been moved, starting with the two NCC owned ones between Sparks and Wellington. I assume others would have been demolished and that new construction would have been set back to create room for the grand boulevard. I imagine it would have been a work lasting many decades, but I don't think they ever got to that level of detail.

In any event, I recall the idea being bounced around for a while but there was no uptake, and considerable opposition, on the Ottawa side. It's not that kind of city.
That would have been a tribute to Kafka.
"It's not that kind of city"... maybe in China you'll find this kind of city.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 2:56 PM

Ottawa has pretty good density in Centretown I just wish we didn't have the height restrictions because of the Peace Tower and we could have a couple of 40 and 50 towers to break up the skyline and make it that much more interesting... *fingers crossed for the new Little Italy neighbourhood development*

On a side note, I agree that a grand boulevard from the Queensway to the Parliament would have been really nice but it's just definitely not do-able given the density and demolition that would have to go on..
BUT we do kinda have a "grand boulevard" on Elgin but just from aound Lisgar to Confederation leading up to the War Memorial, just hope it would extend further south and be a bit more vibrant (even though it alredy is). Kinda reminds me of the Avenue des Champs Elysees in Paris leading up to the Arc de Triomphe (although not as big, nice, lively or high class).

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 4:10 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Am I the only one who despises grand boulevards? They're a horrible thing that damages the urban fabric of an area, especially ones like that one beside the canal which just sticks too scars beside each other cutting the CBD off from Bytown. Small narrow streets are best.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Am I the only one who despises grand boulevards? They're a horrible thing that damages the urban fabric of an area, especially ones like that one beside the canal which just sticks too scars beside each other cutting the CBD off from Bytown. Small narrow streets are best.
The ones beside the canal, and all other parkways running beside the rivers, are pretty dismal. Waste of space and waste of valuable waterfront , although not much could be done with the Rockliffe Parkway between the escarpment down to the river and a cliff on one end and the Rockliffe Airport on the other. I also think that the MacDonald Parkway is actualy useful, though the NCC should let the City build its rapid transit trench and sell the air rights to developers for medium density.

As for grand boulevards; it depends on the execution but it is still a bit of an outdated concept IMO.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 10:59 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

As a more or less obligate pedestrian I suppose I do get a different opinion of things from most people.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 11:18 PM
ARTchitecture

I just realized, this is a future skyline render. Most people have seen it I think, but I'm sure there are many that haven't.

Source: http://www.universitycity.ca/

Source: http://conasysinc.com/wp-content/upl...rsityCity1.jpg

The only two towers in these renders that don't exist yet are the Green and Red towers of University City. Construction will begin on those this year (most likely). The tiny Blue building of University City won't be built for a while.

Apparently there is anoher major proposal (unofficial) for another multi-tower TOD just to the south of this, just on the other side of where the one render says "Safeway Grocery Store"

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 5:14 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
One thing that sort of bothers me with Ottawa and completely unrelated to future skylines...why didnt Ottawa build a grand avenue lined up to Parliament/Peace Tower?

Something like how University Avenue leads up to Queens Park in Toronto only on a grander scale for that of a national capital. Now I realize University Ave. in Toronto is sort of blah but that has more do with how it got lined with institutional buildings than anything else. The potential was there.
I've always lamented this as well

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I just realized, this is a future skyline render. Most people have seen it I think, but I'm sure there are many that haven't.

Source: http://www.universitycity.ca/

Source: http://conasysinc.com/wp-content/upl...rsityCity1.jpg

The only two towers in these renders that don't exist yet are the Green and Red towers of University City. Construction will begin on those this year (most likely). The tiny Blue building of University City won't be built for a while.

Apparently there is anoher major proposal (unofficial) for another multi-tower TOD just to the south of this, just on the other side of where the one render says "Safeway Grocery Store"
I never noticed Calgary's multiple skylines until recently, and I've lived here my whole life. This city is really growing up. In that shot alone there's University, Foothills, and Westgate. There's also a growing mid rise skyline around Chinook, Heritage, and Southcentre too

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 11:49 AM
ARTchitecture

I've been noticing it for a few months now. I posted a pic of the University/Brentwood skyline a few weeks ago. I've been meaning to snap pics of Westbrook, Heritage, and Chinook. It's just hard to find good angles since, for the moment, those skylines are so dispersed.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 12:52 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I more or less agree, but I find that one or two nicely done boulevards can be a nice attraction and addition to a city, but it should not be the founding basis for development and traffic planning.

You've also reminded me of my hate for the NCC and their car-centric perspective.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:37 PM
Utilisateur enregistré

Sherbrooke

Sherbrooke might have this skyline in a few years (btw this area is not downtown Sherbrooke).

Green: U/C
Blue: Approved
White: Built

By me

Here are the numbers of floors for each building, from left to right: 3* - 3* - 5* - 13 - 7 - 10 - 10 - 10/12 - 6/8.

*office buildings

By me

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 5:15 PM

^ Unfortunately, all those new units popping up there will mean that vacant downtown lots like André Lavoie's King Ouest/Gordon parking (attempted St. Patrick condos project) will be even harder to fill up...

I'm not really a fan of seeing a bunch of big-ish buildings appear outside downtown.

This Cité du Parc is a repeat of the late 1980s decision to let the Delta/Place Royale be built where it currently stands... Today's downtown would be a much nicer place had the Delta and its complex been somewhere on Plateau Marquette for the last 25 years.

If you let magnets like that be built all over the place, you end up with no real CBD. Sherbrooke's a textbook example of that, and the hard-to-believe part is that they're not done yet learning their lesson.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 5:36 PM
The good old days are now

How far from Downtown Sherbrooke is this?

Sherbrooke really still has only one downtown street (Wellington), it would be great to see this on a parallel street like rue des Grandes-Fourches along the Saint-François River.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 5:41 PM

I'd like to see some future Montreal renders. Anyone up for it? I would but I don't know how

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 5:48 PM
The good old days are now

Here is a future Montreal render courtesy of Projet Montréal (a municipal political party). The Peel Bassin is in the foreground. They want to build mostly rowhouses on the Peel Bassin to entice families to live near the core.

Anyways, in the background you can see the Montreal skyline, and they seem to have included the Deloitte Tower, the Tour des Canadiens, L'Avenue, YUL condos, Place University St-Jacques, the new CHUM, Gallery sur le Canal, District Griffin, and the Bassins du Havre. Pretty much everything on the downtown side of the Lachine Canal is under construction aside from Place University St-Jacques (office project looking for tenants for several years) and YUL condos (will start sales soon).

Everything on the south side of the canal toward the river (the foreground - Peel Bassin), as well as the baseball stadium and the towers east of the Jacques Cartier Bridge, are purely a vision on Projet Montréal's part.

Quartier Bonaventure: faire renaître Goose Village by etiennecoutu, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada