HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 1:48 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | Urban Alloy Towers | FT | 38 FLOORS

Mindboggling Mass of Tubular Towers Imagined for Queens
Tuesday, April 15, 2014, by Jessica Dailey

Quote:
Behold, the most exciting and completely insane thing ever proposed for Queens: the Urban Alloy Towers. This sea creature-like mass of tubular towers comes from the minds of Chad Kellogg and Matt Bowles of AMLGM. The simple, boring explanation of this craziness is that it's a mixed-use development and transportation hub proposed for the area surrounding the LIRR station in Woodside, but AMLGM's website has a more high-brow, archi-babble explanation, for those who want all the details and diagrams. The mind-bending structure, which is sheathed in a flexible skin made of metal fins that each have a specific "solar orientation," will never see the light of day, but make-believe is always fun. Especially when it involves ridiculous renderings.

The idea is that building in this way makes use of "remnant spaces surrounding the intersection of transportation infrastructure"—which, in this case, would be the elevated LIRR and 7 train tracks—to build more housing near transit hubs.

To give residents a diverse environment, the development includes a variety of housing types, plus retail space and commercial offices. And this cool atrium.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 5:04 PM

I think my mind just exploded?!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I think my mind just exploded?!
It is a neat concept.
I wonder how noisy it would be at the residences...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects