HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_jeremy View Post
With the new station, is there any discussion about parking at this location? The Crestview location has a limitation that the property owner doesn't want it to become a park-and-ride location. The station closest to downtown with sizable parking is the Howard Lane stop.
Assuming that the details of the partnership haven't changed, there will be a crap-ton of parking at the new Broadmoor station. This document was discussed in the transportation thread a while back (http://capmetrotx.iqm2.com/Citizens/...MeetingID=1868). It says 400 spaces.

The McKalla station will also have ample public parking available on days where there is no event at the stadium.

Crestview and all the other centrally located stations should never offer park and ride facilities because it is an extremely inefficient use of valuable land. All of those stations have free street parking available within a very short walk. This is especially true for Crestview, which also has the North Lamar Transit Center a 5 min. free* bus ride away.

* free if you buy a day pass for the train, effectively free if you only buy a 1-way ticket but time it properly

Last edited by atxsnail; Aug 25, 2020 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 3:37 PM
World Traveler

I'll let others speak to details on the plan as I'll confess ignorance there, but I would hope that they wouldn't have sizable parking for any stations in the central area. I think reliance on a better multi-modal transit system would be a better solution (buses, etc.). It makes more sense to have parking farther out for the metro lines (Red and Green) as they do currently at Howard and farther north, and then allow the light rail lines (Blue and Gold) be served by other transit.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 2:15 AM

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 2:26 PM
World Traveler

^^ Nice, I've often wondered when more development would happen on that side of the tracks.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 3:55 PM

"Broadmoor" is now "Uptown ATX"

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/r...UPxCB8#slide=0

I'm not entirely opposed (Broadmoor can be a bit confusing as there's a street by that name in a totally different part of Austin). But Uptown is a bit generic.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 4:02 PM
Austinite

Very nice indeed! This site will front the stadium (across the tracks) and have access to the new metrorail station. I've driven by that site often to watch the stadium progress.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

I'm not entirely opposed (Broadmoor can be a bit confusing as there's a street by that name in a totally different part of Austin). But Uptown is a bit generic.

hmmmm. "Uptown" may stick. "Uptown ATX" is silly. I've known for sometime that "Broadmoor" was out the window since the name doesn't mean anything to anyone.

"uptown" is generic for a reason.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 4:21 PM

Also we can replace the Broadmoor in this title with Uptown ATX. Brandywine will not be marketing anything with broadmoor on it. the name is dead.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 5:33 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Can we just rename the title Uptown without anything else? I mean, it basically is an uptown, no need for any marketing BS.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 6:12 PM
Member since 2001

I disagree. If one was to change the name of this thread it should read: "The Domain" or "The Domain Area."

If you question most people, extremely few would be able to identify where "The Broadmoor" or "Uptown" area would be. However, the vast majority of those same people would more than likely identify "The Domain" and it location. In fact, "The Domain" now exists on several Austin neighborhood maps.

Additionally, Austin does not have an official "Uptown" (or "Midtown" for that matter). And, there's really no need to create one.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I disagree. If one was to change the name of this thread it should read: "The Domain" or "The Domain Area."

If you question most people, extremely few would be able to identify where "The Broadmoor" or "Uptown" area would be. However, the vast majority of those same people would more than likely identify "The Domain" and it location. In fact, "The Domain" now exists on several Austin neighborhood maps.

Additionally, Austin does not have an official "Uptown" (or "Midtown" for that matter). And, there's really no need to create one.
with all due respect goldenboot i do not think that is your (or any of ours) call and the company building a multibillion$ MUD and transit hub has the right to name their project.

FWIW nobody called it "the domain" until the owners decided to, ya know, build it and name it.

I do think it is time to revisit the conversation regarding distinct threads for the domain, north austin, and now "uptown ATX"

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Can we just rename the title Uptown without anything else? I mean, it basically is an uptown, no need for any marketing BS.
Reminds me of Uptown Luckenbach.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 9:35 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
with all due respect goldenboot i do not think that is your (or any of ours) call and the company building a multibillion$ MUD and transit hub has the right to name their project.

FWIW nobody called it "the domain" until the owners decided to, ya know, build it and name it.

I do think it is time to revisit the conversation regarding distinct threads for the domain, north austin, and now "uptown ATX"

Wow, if you build it you can name it yourself? I had no idea.

Out of curiosity, in what specific part of my comment was I referring to Brandywine's Broadmoor/Uptown ATX project - and the renaming of said project?

WWMIV's presented the idea to remove "North Austin/Domain/Broadmoor" from the title of this thread and replacing it with "Uptown" (as if this whole area will forevermore be referred to as "Uptown" - like Clarksville, Rosedale, SoCo, Tarrytown, West Campus, etc.). I was expressing my opinion as to why not do so...

Suggestion: Read the succession of posts prior to jumping down someone's throat.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 10:10 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

Both are names that don't sound so hot. Broadmoor is a bit dull knowing it's a corporate name. Uptown isn't all that right, mostly because we strangely have an area of downtown that is called Uptown, but it's better than 'Broadmoor'. And yeah, Uptown ATX does sound silly and it's as dull and corporate as "Broadmoor" is since both don't feel organic or rooted in history. The Domain at least has an "IT" sound factor to it. I mean, how many Domains are there out there? There's also the tech reference which fits Austin well, me thinks. By the way, I've heard of the Brentwood area being referred to as Midtown before, but I tend to think of Hyde Park and the area around 38th up to say, 50th Street as being Midtown. At least for me being raised in South Austin.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 11:46 PM

lol i see the problem (my grammar) i'm referring to the "Broadmoor" part in the title, not the whole title. my point was now that the developer has dropped the broadmoor name nobody else is going to call it that anymore, since the name was always placeholder (it was just the ibm campus)

i think i see what their naming strategy is though. first off, "uptown atx" is not going to catch on. the people who live/work/travel there are just going to call it "uptown"

and the train IF it catches on is going to drop off at "uptown" and not the domain. and by giving the development the generic name in the first place I think they want to brand that whole area as "uptown" with their development being THE uptown. i think it might work too but only if the transit station is a big success

and to beat a dead horse i think a development with the scope of Uptown ATX deserves its own thread

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
If you question most people, extremely few would be able to identify where "The Broadmoor" or "Uptown" area would be.
Maybe because Broadmoor and Uptown aren't built yet?

Anyway, I hope this Uptown development causes some confusion regarding what is/isn't Uptown and people just start calling that whole general area Uptown.

I think that Prose at the Domain development is going to be the shot heard around the world in the development industry. There could be a mad rush for prime development real estate near that transit stop (more-so than the stadium).

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 1:17 AM

Quote:

I agree.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 1:55 AM
Austinite

The following were taken from the northbound elevated lanes of 183 (9/6)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:17 AM

A little zoom-in optical illusion. Structures in this photo are further away from 183 than they appear. But still impressive.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:47 AM

The stadium is looking REALLY nice in those photos too. Thanks for snapping and sharing!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin