HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Rendering of the proposed office project on the site of the Garden Hills shopping center.

Is this where the Adam's Family will relocate? ... imo it's awful. What is the context for this? It's 2015, not 18th century france. It seems to be trying to appeal to a buckhead image that's not real. It doen't fit it to me in any way.

Last edited by AtlHeel; Jun 28, 2015 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 12:08 AM

Is that exterior material gonna be reflective/shiny? In some of the walls there are reflections

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 2:41 AM

I think its just the low quality of the rendering that makes the facade appear reflective. The architecture though is ....interesting.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jun 28, 2015 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 6:43 PM

Quote:
I think its just the low quality of the rendering that makes the facade appear reflective. The architecture though is ....interesting.
I dunno man, that's not a low quality rendering and that shimmery look with the light hitting it just right is definitely a reflection. That kind of thing doesn't happen by accident.

Interesting is a good word for it...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 3:49 PM

Construction started at "The Flats on Howell Mill" (now called Millworks):

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...-building.html

Also note that 455 14th St is now called "The Local" (comments withheld on what I think of that name).

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 1:55 AM
AK

The Post Midtown Millennium site has heavy equipment and a sign saying entrance will be closed July 7th.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifealex View Post
The Post Midtown Millennium site has heavy equipment and a sign saying entrance will be closed July 7th.
Awesome!. I was beginning to wonder about this one since its permits were ready to issue for about a month with no action.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 2:16 PM

Buckhead Atlanta Phase 2 looks great:

Plans are currently underway for a new luxury 135-unit, 19-story residential condominium tower as well as Class A, custom, creative office space with unique retail experiences that may include elite fitness and spa facilities or the ultimate theatre experience. 315,000 square feet provide more possibilities - and desirable customers.

Last edited by NewUrbanist90; Jul 17, 2015 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 5:31 PM

Wow! That does look nice. The village area is becoming nicely urban.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 4:47 AM

So I was bored and decided to calculate the number of non-SFH residential units(apartments, condos, or townhomes) currently under construction in the Atlanta city limits at the moment.

-The total came out to be 9,867 units. About a third of those are in Midtown alone which is only a .80 square mile area. Pretty impressive.

-4,701 multi-family units are currently proposed in Midtown.

-Across the entire city proper, 10,753+(one project didn't have number of units) multi-family units are currently being proposed or in planning.

Source: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...57&postcount=1

This doesn't include projects in other hotspots around the metro like Decatur, Smyrna, or Perimeter Center. Safe to say Atlanta is approaching a residential(and economic) boom if we aren't already in one.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 11:05 AM

I don't think there's any question that the residential growth in the city can be called a boom and is unprecedented. Metro wide the numbers are not out of line with what has historically been built on a yearly basis which bodes well for continued growth in the city, provided that the local economy remains strong. I do think that the city needs to get about some infrastructure investments ASAP to sustain and mitigate growth in the city.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 2:03 PM

Rendering and name for 720 Ralph McGill, which has now broken ground:
http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...offee-shop.php

The proposed Homewood Suites downtown will also now be co-branded Canopy. New rendering:

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUrbanist90 View Post
Rendering and name for 720 Ralph McGill, which has now broken ground:
http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...offee-shop.php

The proposed Homewood Suites downtown will also now be co-branded Canopy. New rendering:
Not bad.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Not bad.

Stucco midrise!!! YAY!

Happy about the retail, but that's about it. My GF is not renewing her lease at Tel Fac when it ends in February. Way too much suburban Post Properties cookie cutter BS in O4W right now. If you're going to ask $2,500 a month rent for a 1 BR, you could at least try to do something original looking, or maybe pay homage to the area's industrial past. Cut and paste this design into ANY of the northern suburbs and it looks exactly the same. Cobb? Check. Dunwoody? Check. Sandy Springs? Check. Thumbs DOWN.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 1:38 AM

I honestly don't get it....are people expecting Parisian style apartments in O4W? This isn't SF or NYC. Rents are not high enough to justify opulent rental buildings. I can understand complaints if it's a condo building, but it's a rental in an inner neighborhood of Atlanta, not Midtown or Buckhead. It's not going to a world class looking apartment building. I can understand complaints if it was in Midtown or Buckhead. The rents justify it($2-3+ per square feet). Rents in O4W are still not high enough to justify great designs. Apartments are made to house people. In the end, all that matters is what's inside and people will live there regardless of whether it is stucco, stone, brick, or metal plates.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I honestly don't get it....are people expecting Parisian style apartments in O4W? This isn't SF or NYC. Rents are not high enough to justify opulent rental buildings. I can understand complaints if it's a condo building, but it's a rental in an inner neighborhood of Atlanta, not Midtown or Buckhead. It's not going to a world class looking apartment building. I can understand complaints if it was in Midtown or Buckhead. The rents justify it($2-3+ per square feet). Rents in O4W are still not high enough to justify great designs. Apartments are made to house people. In the end, all that matters is what's inside and people will live there regardless of whether it is stucco, stone, brick, or metal plates.
Well said.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You're probably right, but that doesn't mean I'm supposed to bust out in applause every time some bland soviet looking building gets built in my neighborhood. Am I supposed to be grateful just because someone is doing SOMETHING?

I will say that on the positive side it's far better looking than Alexan on Krog. I can say without hyperbole or exaggeration that Alexan is the single ugliest building I've ever seen.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLswede View Post
You're probably right, but that doesn't mean I'm supposed to bust out in applause every time some bland soviet looking building gets built in my neighborhood. Am I supposed to be grateful just because someone is doing SOMETHING?

I will say that on the positive side it's far better looking than Alexan on Krog. I can say without hyperbole or exaggeration that Alexan is the single ugliest building I've ever seen.
On Alexan on Krog we can agree.
I'ts like no effort whatsoever was put into making the building attractive. My personal pet peeve is when they make the first level brick with the rest of the building being crap.

While its probably unrealistic to expect something unique in a five story apartment building, I also agree that the architects of these projects should consider the context of the surroundings.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 1:21 PM

Quote:
On Alexan on Krog we can agree.
I'ts like no effort whatsoever was put into making the building attractive. My personal pet peeve is when they make the first level brick with the rest of the building being crap.

While its probably unrealistic to expect something unique in a five story apartment building, I also agree that the architects of these projects should consider the context of the surroundings.
My point exactly. Surely rents don't need to hit $3 a foot before people will cover the entire building in brick and perhaps put in larger windows that mimic older industrial buildings. I'm not opposed to the scale or even the layout of the projects, I just hate that they look completely out of context. In my mind it doesn't require some stroke of genius or a blank check to make a 5 story building look like it actually belongs in a particular neighborhood.

525 North is a great example of the developer doing this right for that area. Just going ground to ceiling with brick (or in that case terracotta blocks) and adding some long narrow windows creates some sense of identity consistent with the surroundings.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 10:21 PM

Good points. I agree.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta