HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
is this a joke post? i think it says something about the state of this thread when i honestly can't tell anymore
Yeah, me too. Didn't make a lot of sense.

To the rest, indies don't have a lot of capital so they don't go where rents are high. If rents are high on Broadway, they will stay away. I think Los Angeles St is probably a more likely indie location.

Having said that, I hope Broadway doesn't get disneyed like third, melrose and colorado blvd. I hope it becomes more like the NY Broadway north of 90th Street on the upper West Side. A mix of neighborhood service shops, good stores, middle of the road expensive restaurants with a little bit of grit thrown in for good measure. A successful urban street located in a successful DT.

Last edited by alki; Yesterday at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:52 PM

pwrights's comment about his hometown & his family's connection to its dt, & brudy's noting that the demographics of his bldg have changed from older to younger, & applying things like that to the way various age & income groups will deal with homeless ppl & the presence of skid row in dtla....not to mention the still largely unkempt look of broadway....does make predictions of the hood's future a bit more tricky than it otherwise would be.

a lot depends on whether projs like izek shomof's apt tower at broadway & 4th really do move forward & what type of response they get from renters. Because of the shabbiness or gaps throughout broadway, & other sections between the civic ctr to the north & around 3rd st to the south, this proj has the potential to be more of a game changer to its immediate surroundings than anything going up on figueroa around staples ctr. The area around the 1200 south fig proj is somewhat more of a blank slate right now, so it doesn't put as much of a damper on the tone of dtla the way broadway does, much less skid row further to the east.

citygro.ws.

citygro.ws.

btw, based on the website of the jia apt proj in chinatown as of today, that bldg really does appear to be booking up at a faster rate than the highrise apt towers at wilshire & vermont. The question is that due to new housing closer to dt being in greater demand than something closer to mid wilshire? Or is it due to the higher rents in a highrise proj scaring off potential renters, whose monthly budget can only handle what's offered by owners of shorter, wood framed apt projs?

Of the 3 highrise apt towers built in dt over the past several yrs, 2 of them didn't give the public a continuous view of the number of apts that were available at any given time, while the 3rd one, the apex, did show which of their units were open for tenants. But it indicated units in that bldg moved more slowly than what I've seen for new apt projs like 1111 wilshire, jia or any of the bldgs owned by gh palmer, or the 'stumpies'.

as for a few of the older highrises renovated for housing, mainly barry shy's tower on Spring st, they too never gave the public a peek of how well their units were filling up after opening day. But shy's ambitions to put a totally new highrise tower on main st....across from the PE lofts bldg....suggests what he has experienced with his existing properties gives him enough confidence to move to the next level. however, as with izek Shomof, the clock is ticking with him too, since he's yet to break ground on his highrise.

btw, I recall when the classic old PE bldg on Main St, so very close to skid row, was first converted to apts many yrs ago....seems like 1000 yrs ago...my initial reaction was how the heck are they going to get ppl to rent units in that bldg, in that part of dtla!!??? The rest, as they say, is history.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy331 View Post
Just because Gap, JCREW, or any other national chain store set up shop on Broadway (or anywhere in DTLA for that matter) does not mean it is not "organic". This is Los Angeles, a global city. Frankly, I think downtown SHOULD have a Gap, JCREW, and every other brand that you may find at the Glendale Galleria or other mall. DTLA should have all those brands PLUS the more unique boutique-style retailers that some of you are eluding to. There's no reason why the two can't coexist. The point of a true urban city is convenience- a resident should not have to drive out to another neighborhood to shop.

I feel like there is a fear among some that downtown will cater to the masses. So what? It should cater to everyone! If having a Gap or Cheesecake Factory downtown means that some people who wouldn't normally be down here are actually spending more time Downtown or see it in a different light, then so be it. That's a win in my book.
Exactly... some people here don't see it but are NIMBYs themselves.. they don't like change and want downtown to stay the way it is with its unique stores and eateries, that goes for high rises spreading east as well.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbeen View Post
The thing about Broadway is that I personally think it doesn't attract the typical middle class young adults like me, other than Urban Outfitters, Uli's, and Umami. Anything else is just too expensive (Aesop, Acne) or doesn't attract my attention (Ross, swapmeets).

When I passed by Aesop in Venice, I thought Broadway has the biggest potential to be the next Abbot Kinney. Attracts the upper-middle class hipsters.
Some retail like Cheesecake Factory could only be found in popular and touristy areas, and I think those are great stores for Broadway. Broadway can live without Gap and Forever21 (basically stores found in every local mall) but I welcome them if they help renovate our buildings.

Foreign Exchange sells nice clothes, and today I found graphic tees of Downtown LA and Arts District. I really hope they look for a spot here.

American Apparel has a huge billboard on Broadway but doesn't have a store on the street. Very misleading for many people.

Other stores I hope comes to Broadway:
Apple, ALDO, Banana Republic, Nordstrom or Rack, Topshop, Pressed Juicery (though there's already one in Fashion District), Intellegentsia, Toms Shoes, DSW, Roscoes, Barnes and Noble (though we have Last Bookstore), more cafes, more coffee/tea shops, etc.

Long Beach Airport's new terminal got a bunch of nice LA-based restaurants. That should happen to Broadway.
The G by Guess stores in San Diego always feature something with DTLA in it... i always see ads on the windows or walls of the Los Angeles skyline.. or a DTLA building.. same goes for some of their graphic t-shirts. Always have something NY and LA which i love

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I just want all parts of DTLA to be for ALL people. I often think about my mother my aunt and one of their friends who are all emptynesters and who all lived in dt Seattle. They would often get together for lunch at the Grill restaurant at Nordstrom or the Sheraton. Catch an afternoon concert of the Seattle Symphony at Benaroya Hall. Sometimes they would catch a movie together or meet for coffee. They often talked about how they enjoyed living dt. Do you find emptynesters living in places like the Historic Core? I would say no right now. It would be nice if it did imo.
haha me and my cousins call it the "Sex and The City" experience.. Live, Work, Play in the city.. shopping destination etc, which seems doable only in NYC, Chicago and SF.. and i suppose Seattle too... right now DTLA doesn't seem like women can have that kind of experience yet.. the westside still seems more attractive for that kind of stuff in LA. One day though, i'd like for that experience to be able to happen in DTLA.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesDreamin View Post
right now DTLA doesn't seem like women can have that kind of experience yet..
You offer one good reason why I think various forumers in this thread will prioritize things differently from the way I do.

Guys are perhaps less finicky about feeling safe, happy & comfortable out on the sidewalk, so they may be more likely to fuss about things like the height of new bldgs or whether there is...although this is ironic since women tend to be more into shopping than guys......retail on the ground level of a new apt bldg or not. In my case, walking by vacant store spaces or shabby swapmeets doesn't exactly make me feel confident about a hood, nor does walking by areas that are parking lots or sketchy industrial bldgs compared with the same areas being full of even 'stumpies' or 'shitboxes'.

Males also are more likely to downplay the importance of convenient, secure parking in a new apt bldg, since, again, personal safety & the ease of traveling with, among others, children may not be on the top of their agenda. So my check list & the check list of others may diverge on occasion.

btw, I was looking through new pics posted to the my city photos forum & this one image, taken by pwright1, caught my attention. To the casual observer, the photo looks like it was taken in a lobby of a swanky hotel. But believe it or not....& this is a good example of the interesting contradictions throughout dtla, of diamonds in the rough....it's the lobby of the Cecil hotel on main street. The yelp review of the hotel shows it's now closed for business, which I'm assuming is accurate, although I don't know if that includes the hostel operating in part of the cecil.

As with many of the classic old bldgs on broadway, it's tragic that a bldg with such an impressive ground floor should have over the past 60 or more yrs been managed as not much better than something on skid row. I know the previous owner wanted to convert the Cecil to a mainstream hotel but he was turned down by the city. The current owner a few months ago wanted to switch the cecil over to housing for the homeless, but he too....thankfully.....got turned down. If much of it, or all of it, is now shut down, then I guess it's in limbo.

pwright1

The Cecil is sort of dtla's version of a place straight out of the Twilight zone....

www.thesun.co.uk

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I just want all parts of DTLA to be for ALL people. I often think about my mother my aunt and one of their friends who are all emptynesters and who all lived in dt Seattle. They would often get together for lunch at the Grill restaurant at Nordstrom or the Sheraton. Catch an afternoon concert of the Seattle Symphony at Benaroya Hall. Sometimes they would catch a movie together or meet for coffee. They often talked about how they enjoyed living dt. Do you find emptynesters living in places like the Historic Core? I would say no right now. It would be nice if it did imo.
You realize you can do all of that RIGHT NOW in DTLA? Macy's isn't Nordstrom, but all of this stuff is available.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:57 PM

Cecil Hotel Lobby: Saw that stunning shot of a hotel lobby along with others posted today by pwright1 had no idea it was the Cecil at the time I was going to research it a bit thanks for posting the photo again along with your comments about the hotel. Hope we hear about this hotel property in the future. I'm aware of troubled history. One never knows.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldor120la View Post
Cecil Hotel Lobby: Saw that stunning shot of a hotel lobby along with others posted today by pwright1 had no idea it was the Cecil at the time I was going to research it a bit thanks for posting the photo again along with your comments about the hotel. Hope we hear about this hotel property in the future. I'm aware of troubled history. One never knows.
The Cecil has reopened as an inexpensive hotel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_H...Los_Angeles%29

It was in the video that CW posted on this page:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...35#post6663935

Last edited by alki; Yesterday at 11:42 PM.

Old Posted Today, 3:14 AM

Downtown today:

Wilshire Grand Tower

Onni Group Tower:

Old Posted Today, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
In case you are referring to my post, Luva, I was describing the look of the street and its bldgs and their upkeep. Frankly, I didn't see it as poverty.........in fact, the street looks fairly prosperous. However, I found its look rather ugly.........much like I would a strip mall and many shopping centers.
no I wasn't referring to you, I was addressing the idiots on this LA subforum who would predictably label anyone commenting on anything tangentially related to latinos as "racist"

and the lack of upkeep is a direct result of the poverty. broadway is ugly because of the demographic it serves (poverty)

Last edited by edluva; Today at 3:55 AM.

Old Posted Today, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
no I wasn't referring to you, I was addressing the idiots on this LA subforum who would predictably label anyone commenting on anything tangentially related to latinos as "racist"

and actually the lack of upkeep is a direct result of the poverty. broadway is ugly because of the demographic it serves (poverty)
I think more a lack of information and expectancy. As shoppers, the customers on Broadway don't realize the power they have. They probably fear making any demands on the shop owners for fear they will raise their prices. So yeah, poverty is part of the mix too.

Old Posted Today, 4:00 AM

Nice shots, black crow. The Onni tower looks to be a good addition to DTLA.

Old Posted Today, 4:20 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post

and the lack of upkeep is a direct result of the poverty. broadway is ugly because of the demographic it serves (poverty)
They're called people not poverty.

Old Posted Today, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
They're called people not poverty.
wow we're making progress

p.s. great insight, eclipse. your contribution changes everything I said. are you one of the aforementioned subforumers btw?

Old Posted Today, 5:38 AM
Lurker

Dunno. You gave a very vague description of those "idiots".

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations