HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 10:27 PM

This building kinda reminds me of the new LAPD HQ downtown.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 4:21 PM
SC made me a hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMetroGuy View Post
Not a fan of the design, I wish it was something more modern and taller... oh well!

Anyway, last night I noticed that city workers were removing the Looff's Lite A Line roof that has been sitting in the parking lot next to the Pike. I'm curious if they are just making more room for parking or the developer of OceanAire is getting started on the project????

There is an article on Press Telegram that makes it seem as if the developer is clearing it to build... Does anyone know more about this?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 12:22 AM

Just read Press Telegram about the Looff's and clear the way for new condo.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 10:11 PM

Kitchen Den Bar to open in former GameWorks space at Pike

Kitchen Den Bar to open in former GameWorks space at Pike
By Karen Robes Meeks, Staff Writer
Posted: 06/30/2010 04:31:48 PM PDT

LONG BEACH - Former GameWorks executives this summer will launch a new restaurant and entertainment concept at the Pike at Rainbow Harbor, resuscitating the large downtown space GameWorks occupied for nearly seven years before its abrupt closure in March.

Kitchen Den Bar is expected to open in the 40,000-square-foot space in mid-August, Pike general manager Jeff Miyaoka said Wednesday.

"It certainly complements our existing dining and entertainment venues at the Pike," he said. "We're very pleased to be able to fill this space so quickly, and we're just very excited to have it reopen this summer."

Miyaoka said the new business will move away from the arcade concept and focus more on entertainment with a homey feel.

"In this case, there's going to be a great emphasis on comfortable, family-friendly entertainment environment that offers good food, a great bar and a great time.

The Kitchen will feature a 180-seat dining area and outdoor patio and serve up home-style menu items such as barbecue, gourmet pizzas and pastas, burgers, sandwiches and salads.

KDB's main feature, The Den's 20,000 square feet of space, will feature a bowling alley and more than 130 attractions and interactive and top prize games.

In the middle of the gaming area will be a sleek sports bar where signature martinis and specialty drinks will be served.

The original GameWorks, which opened in November 2003, was one of the largest businesses anchoring The Pike, a 369,000-square-foot dining and entertainment center near the waterfront. GameWorks, which is owned and operated by Sega GameWorks Inc., shuttered March 29 as part of the company's decision to close several locations due to an organizational restructuring.

A GameWorks spokesman told the Downtown Gazette that the economy contributed to the "steady decline" in customers at the Long Beach location.

Enter Trifecta Management Group, a Southern California firm made up of GameWorks' executive management team and the strategic, operational and development brainchild behind the concept.

Trifecta manages venues in California, Florida, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio and Virginia. Projects include The Corner Alley, 4th Street Bar & Grill, which features "16 lanes of rock 'n bowling," two martini bars and restaurant; Zocalo Mexican Grill and Tequileria; and Montgomery Grill.

In 2005, the group also acquired and re-imagined Flannery's Pub, a neighborhood Irish pub and restaurant in downtown Cleveland.

Long Beach will be one of two KDB locations opening this summer, Miyaoka said.

"Having KDB here speaks to the Pike continuing to move forward despite the challenging economy," he said. "We look forward to the future."

Source: karen.robes@presstelegram.com, 562-499-1303

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 9:32 PM

New rendering of the downtown Vons currently under construction at Atlantic and Broadway from the PressTelegram:

Old Posted Jul 12, 2010, 12:55 AM

More information on the Vista Street bicycle boulevard from the Contra Costa Times via the Press Telegram:

Quote:
LONG BEACH - In Kora Kroep's native Holland, bicycles are a way of life.

"We have more bicycle lanes than we have streets for cars," said Kroep, who left her homeland 20 years ago and now lives in Long Beach's Belmont Heights.

While it's unlikely that Long Beach residents will give up their cars anytime soon, the city has been undergoing a transportation transformation as officials create a more bicycle-friendly infrastructure.

The latest spoke in the wheel is happening right outside Kroep's front door, where to the avid cyclist's excitement the intersection of Vista Street and Ximeno Avenue is taking on a sort of Dutch aspect.

Workers began tearing up the intersection and others along Vista last week to create what Long Beach officials believe will be the first bike boulevard in Southern California.

"Bike boulevards are generally places where traffic is calmed and bicycles and pedestrians have preference," said Sumire Gant, transportation programs officer for the city. "Local traffic can use them, but through-traffic is more likely to go to another street."

The city is installing eight roundabouts at intersections along the 1.5-mile stretch of Vista from Temple Avenue to Nieto Avenue. Roundabouts force traffic to slow down, making intersections safer for bicycles and pedestrians.

Stop signs will be replaced with yield signs, and a narrow median will be installed on each street approaching the roundabouts to guide traffic and make crossing easier for pedestrians, Gant said.

The streets also will be narrowed at each intersection in what is called a "bulb-out," which also helps pedestrians. The bulb-outs and roundabouts will be landscaped with drought-tolerant plants, Gant said.

At Redondo Avenue, by far the busiest intersection along Vista, the city will install a traffic light, but not the usual kind.

The signal will have a bike-only traffic signal that allows bicycles to go straight across Redondo, while vehicles traveling on Vista will have to turn right, Gant said.

The $550,000 pilot program is funded by the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Gant said. No city money was spent, and the funds could only be used for transportation, she said.

Vista was chosen because it parallels busier business corridors - Broadway and Fourth Street - and because two schools, Lowell and Rogers, are at one end; one, Horace Mann, is near the other end; and a fourth school, Fremont on Fourth Street, is near the middle of the route.

Since the project was initiated, Long Beach has received state and federal Safe Routes to School Funding as well, Gant said.

By this time next year, two more projects should be up and running, she said - one along Sixth Street from Junipero Avenue to Bellflower Boulevard, and the other along several streets from Chestnut Avenue downtown to 70th Street in North Long Beach.

Bicycle boulevards and roundabouts have been gaining in popularity in Northern California, and in Europe they are standard. Gant said that European cities have found that roundabouts improve road safety, and Long Beach officials have their own evidence to show that a little bicycle awareness can decrease traffic dangers.

In the first six months since Long Beach created the green-striped bicycle lanes along 2nd Street in Belmont Shore, known as "sharrows," there has been a 17 percent decrease in the number of cyclists riding on the sidewalk and 50 percent fewer accidents involving vehicles and bicycles, Gant said.

Kroep said that a safer roadway is what she hopes to see at her intersection, which has stop signs only on Vista and where traffic often flies down Ximeno.

"At least once a day there's almost an accident," she said.

One day, Kroep said she would like to see her new home of Long Beach look a little more like her native Holland, and it already seems to be on the way.

"I see definitely more people on bicycles, everywhere," Kroep said. "It's nice to see. I hope that one day no one will drive a car down Second Street."

paul.eakins@presstelegram.com, 562-499-127

No mention of the pilot program for the protected bicycle lanes alone 3rd Street and Broadway downtown, but I'm sure we'll hear more info on them soon. I'll have to go down to Vista Street and take some photos when I get a chance.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 5:15 PM

The Press-Telegram had coverage of new developments that include affordable housing, and the article seems to be aimed at dispelling the myths of what affordable housing looks like. What was most interesting to me, of course, were the photo updates of projects.

The Long Beach and Burnett Apartments at 2355 Long Beach Blvd:

The developer of 2355 Long Beach Blvd., META Housing Corp., will also be in charge of the new senior housing development slated for construction at Anaheim and Long Beach Blvd.

The Coronado at Atlantic and 20th Street:

Hopefully I'll find time to photograph these too when I'm in Long Beach again.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 6:56 AM

Long Beach Boulevard and New Bike Lanes

Also Long Beach Boulevard from Ocean to 10th is being gentrified and bike lanes are being installed on Broadway and Third between Golden and Olive Downtown.... that is supposed to start soon....

Can't Wait!

Also 2nd Street in Naples is being repaved.....

Many good things all across Long Beach

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 5:38 PM

I watched the latest episode of Inside Long Beach at the LBRDA website, and according to the Tony Shooshani, owner of City Place, they will be welcoming Fresh & Easy "sometime in November." He also said that this location would be Fresh & Easy's "flagship" for Long Beach.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 10:56 PM
Absorbed in Trance

dude, digging that new Vons. Let's hope that sets a precedent for supermarkets around town.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 10:04 AM

What happened to La Creperie? It was supposed to open in May but I haven't seen it... and their website only lists the 2nd Street location.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBono24 View Post
What happened to La Creperie? It was supposed to open in May but I haven't seen it... and their website only lists the 2nd Street location.

The sign now says it will open in September, so it just been delayed.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 3:01 AM

According to their Twitter page, the Kress Market opened its doors today. Their grand opening celebration will be on August 12th at 5pm. Anyone have a chance to check it out yet?

According to a wall post on their Facebook page (you will have to be a friend to view it), Congregation Ale House is still hoping to open its doors toward the end of August.

A lot of exciting businesses opening downtown right now.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 3:46 PM

I drove by two days ago, and although it look like it could open soon, I didn't think it would this week. They moved fast I guess.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 2:37 AM

I went downtown for a nice stroll and took some pictures while I wandered.

The Kress Market & Deli is open:

Outdoor seating is now available for several eateries on Pine. Thank goodness! People might actually notice that there are businesses there.

The Gaucho Grill is under construction and looks to be open in September 2010:

Congregation Ale House is starting to take shape. I must admit that I'm particularly excited to have them open soon:

Promenade Square is open:

Go Long Beach!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 4:30 AM

Thanks CityKid, I might have to talk the wife and I to take a walk over to the market on Saturday to check it out. I'm really surprised how fast they opened after just going by the other day. I don't even remember seeing the rails for the patio area up.

Also I will probably go check out Promenade Square while we are out walking.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 9:48 PM

I was downtown for the Summer and Music Festival and took some snaps of the new Vons going up at Broadway and Atlantic. It's really going to add to the urban fabric along Broadway.

Go Long Beach!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 11:22 PM

Citykid, thanks for the great pictures of Pine and Promenade. I can't wait for the Vons to open soon. I hate to take a bus to go to Alberston on LB Blvd whenever I need small items. Newer Vons will be so much better with more variety of selections than the original store where items are limited.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid View Post
I was downtown for the Summer and Music Festival and took some snaps of the new Vons going up at Broadway and Atlantic. It's really going to add to the urban fabric along Broadway.

Go Long Beach!
Is there anything special about this Vons? Anything different?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bill View Post
Is there anything special about this Vons? Anything different?
The previous Vons store was built in the 60s and had become seriously dilapidated or so I understand. The building occupied only half of the lot, the other half being dedicated to parking. Here are photos of the old building from Yelp. The new Vons will be twice is big with parking on the roof. There will be a wider selection of groceries, and I think even a Starbucks and bank located inside. On top of that, the new renovation has more of an urban feel. It will add to the urban fabric of the surrounding area. I'm not sure if that makes it "special" but--correct me if I'm wrong--it's the first major grocer to go with this type of design in Long Beach.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West