HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 6:55 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Amazinnnnnnng!

It's amazing.

Here's the full TAM-SA presentation by both Marmon Mak and Sasaki.

3,000 head count

4,000 head count

PDF Presentation Link

Honestly, this blows away UTSA's main campus without question.

People are also forgetting about the Verano development that is planned for the area just north of the campus between the main entrance and the main campus. You can see it in picture 2.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
It's amazing.

Here's the full TAM-SA presentation by both Marmon Mak and Sasaki.

3,000 head count

4,000 head count

PDF Presentation Link

Honestly, this blows away UTSA's main campus without question.

People are also forgetting about the Verano development that is planned for the area just north of the campus between the main entrance and the main campus. You can see it in picture 2.
UTSA has a good half-century on this project. UTSA will be capping enrollment soon and it will be difficult to attend. They will also build "east campus" which will be dedicated to graduate studies. In fact the entire 600-acre 1604 campus, 125 acre athletics park, and Downtown campuses will probably be entirely developed. It will take decades for A&M SA to build out to a decent 4-year university. By that time UTSA will have been tier 1 for a while I doubt many of us will even be living in SA when this school becomes what many today hope it will.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
UTSA has a good half-century on this project. UTSA will be capping enrollment soon and it will be difficult to attend. They will also build "east campus" which will be dedicated to graduate studies. In fact the entire 600-acre 1604 campus, 125 acre athletics park, and Downtown campuses will probably be entirely developed. It will take decades for A&M SA to build out to a decent 4-year university. By that time UTSA will have been tier 1 for a while I doubt many of us will even be living in SA when this school becomes what many today hope it will.

Dose any have any info on East campus??

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 8:01 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Living in SA or alive?

They're saying 15-20 years for total build out. I don't know about many of you, but I'll be in my mid to late forties at that point so I will most certainly be alive and I will most certainly be living in SA.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 9:57 PM

I plan on being alive then, but just in case I'm not I'll arrange to have myself buried in SA

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 2:20 PM

A&M to break ground on South Side campus

from mysa.com
Quote:
Texas A&M University System is breaking ground Friday on the gateway to a future Texas A&M-San Antonio campus on the city’s South Side.

Construction will begin soon on University Way, the main boulevard, and a gateway leading into the future campus. The ceremony will start at 10 a.m. on the frontage road of Loop 410 between Zarzamora Street and Moursund Boulevard. State, county and local officials are expected to attend.
I drive by there every now and then and it looks as if it is really a go; the exit and on ramp are complete. A road is a good start. Yantis is building it out. Hopefully they can stick to the "almost" grid-like pattern that is needed to fully incorporate a pedestrian friendly area. Also minimize the roadside entrances to make better use for sidewalks.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 5:54 PM
James

They are building it?!? Did they reach enrollment? This is exciting.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
They are building it?!? Did they reach enrollment? This is exciting.
It doesn't mention anything about reaching enrollment in the posted story. Perhaps they are trying to get basic infrastructure out of the way so they can work more quickly once they get the green light from the state?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 6:12 PM

Just the road, right?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 7:40 PM

Yes, just the road. The road is just as important though; Brooks would already have the new SE Baptist Hospital built had there been proper infastructure there. Which reminds me, the new TB hospital is getting worked on now across SE Military here at the TCID.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 9:05 PM

Sorry Miaht, I wasn't trying to poo-poo the importance of the road, just trying to note exactly what is and isn't breaking ground here.

So you say the new hospital has broken ground? That's exciting, there needs to be a landmark on the SE side as folks drive up I-37

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 7:57 AM

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 8:48 PM

Construction of A&M campus to start in fall

story here.

Quote:
The university broke ground Feb. 27 on University Way, the road that will serve as the campus’ main entrance from the Loop 410 frontage road.University spokesman Marilu Reyna said a groundbreaking event for the new building would occur in the fall and completion would take up to 24 months. Many area residents will be afforded job opportunities during and after the building’s construction.

Once complete, Reyna said officials project that TAMUSA will enroll 1,500 full-time students, who will have their pick of 24 undergraduate and 16 master’s degree programs. The university hopes to eventually have 25,000 students enrolled there.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 6:51 PM

Now let's hope this bill doesn't get vetoed so we can start a on new University in SA . I hope this gets signed off cause I really wanna see something like this happen for the southside now and not have to wait any longer than it should

Texas A&M-San Antonio bill OK'd

By Melissa Ludwig - Express-News

The Texas Legislature on Wednesday passed a bill that would immediately free up $40 million in tuition revenue bonds to build a standalone Texas A&M-San Antonio campus on the South Side.

The bill lowers the full-time enrollment threshold from 1,500 to 1,000, a goal the seed campus hit this spring, triggering that money. The law would also promote the seed campus, currently a system center run by Texas A&M-Kingsville, into an independent university.

“I feel like (late) Sen. Frank Madla is looking down from heaven and he is seeing the dream that started on a paper napkin at a little restaurant come to fruition,” said Maria Ferrier, director of the seed campus. Before his 2006 death in a house fire, Madla was a tireless proponent of the A&M campus.

The bill now goes to Gov. Rick Perry, who vetoed a similar bill in 2007, citing concerns about waste.

According to guidelines set by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, building out a full-service university with fewer than 3,500 students is inefficient.

But lawmakers, eager to build new universities in their home districts, have whittled that number down over the years.

In addition to San Antonio, the bill helps a Texas A&M campus in Killeen and a University of North Texas campus in Dallas.

Rep. Joe Farias, who helped sponsor the bill, said he is relieved the bill passed and hopeful that Perry will sign it.

“I think he is truly supportive and I feel he understands the need for the university in San Antonio,” Farias said

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 9:58 PM

Anyone heard over quality over quantity?

Instead of funding expansions and trying to help UTSA reach tier 1 status we are going to pull funds for a new univrsity. I really don't think we CAN support 2 state universities now or in the forseeable future. This city doesn't support UTSA enough as is and this new university will only slow that down.

I don't know what could have changed Gov. Perry's mind (surely he's not trying to buy votes for the 2010 election), but I still think this is ineficient spending.

I can only imagine if Austin turned their back on making UT a tier 1 school and used that monies to build various other universities across the city.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 11:13 PM

I think UTSA will be okay.
The support can only grow at this point, the steam has been picking up over the years. It is not a huge jump, but over time the support will be there. I think that competition fuels support.
I also think they are getting funding and support is there for them to reach tier-1 status. Story here...
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 4:57 AM

Perry signs bill to kick start Texas A&M-San Antonio

Looks Like A&M SA is finally a go...

MYSA.com

Gov. Rick Perry signed a law Saturday that would allow the Texas A&M System to draw down $40 million in tuition revenue bonds to start building a permanent campus for Texas A&M-San Antonio. Right now, the system is operating a seed campus in San Antonio under the auspices of Texas A&M-Kingsville.

This spring, enrollment at the system center hit 1,000 full-time students, short of the 1,500 needed to receive the $40 million.

The law Perry signed lowered that threshold to 1,000, allowing the campus to declare its independence from Kingsville and start building a permanent home for the new university.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...n_Antonio.html

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 7:49 PM

Texas A&M-San Antonio asking city to decide mascot, colors

Time to vote...

From Bizjournals.com

Quote:
Texas A&M University-San Antonio is asking the local community to help decide the new campus’ official mascot and school colors.

The university is in the process of developing its first full-fledged campus in South San Antonio, culminating years worth of work by local leaders to gain the first four-year institution of higher learning on the South Side.

The university has set up two Web sites (www.tamuk.edu/sanantonio/mascot.asp, www.tamuk.edu/sanantonio/colors.asp) to accept online votes. Voting is open until Sept. 8. Students, faculty and staff participated in a selection process to narrow down 2,000 suggestions for a mascot and school colors. The community is asked to choose from the Defenders, the Lobos, Toros and the Jaguars. The school color choices are black, dark blue and maroon.

The Texas Legislature in 2009 voted to establish the Texas A&M San Antonio campus as a separate, stand-alone university. It previously functioned as an extension campus of Texas A&M-Kingsville.

Texas A&M University-San Antonio will unveil the winning selections at an official ceremony later this fall.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 9:34 PM
James

I voted for the Jaguars with Black, Maroon/Silver as the colors. I was wondering what kind of mascot and colors they would choose.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 10:51 PM

I voted Toros. I like the sound of "TAMSA Toros".

For colors I voted maroon and silver. Black and silver would match the Spurs, and the blue would be too similar to UTSA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio