HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 7:08 AM

Yes, but they build it on commercial site.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 8:37 AM

i've always thought taiwan should try to emphasize it's culture more by designing more buildings with taiwanese/asian-style architecture instead of continually copying western-style architecture like that tacky gaudy faux-euro classical style so common with residential buildings. much of which they dont copy it very well either. so it was a very pleasant surprise to see the below project based on hakka architecture. and a really nice modern interpretation of it too which doesnt get too literal and kitschy. they need to hire more foreign architects into taiwan!!

Mole’s luxury complex takes its cue from Taiwan’s vernacular

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/buildings/...024229.article

Mole Architects, working with Gianni Botsford and landscape architect Todd Longstaffe-Gowan, has unveiled plans for a 71,000sq m development on the edge of Hsinchu City, the “Silicon Valley” of Taiwan.

The scheme comprises a spa hotel, serviced apartments and seven luxury villas, set across rolling forested hillside on the site of a former tea plantation.

Inspired by the form of a walled hillside village, the courtyard buildings frame narrow streets that culminate in views over a central planted ravine, which acts as the main north-south spine.

All of the buildings sit on steeply pitched brick plinths, with different treatment at the upper levels. The hotel blocks, framed in bronze-anodised aluminium, rise from expressive concrete vaults that contain reception and banquet rooms and enclose a series of stepped terraces with pools.

The serviced apartments reference the form of local vernacular Hakka houses, with pavilions enclosed in courtyard buildings, external circulation and curving pitched rooftops. Their facades are punctured with recessed balconies and clad with perforated fibre cement board.

The luxury 1,200sq m villas, designed for corporate entertainment use, are predominantly glazed, with south-facing gardens and swimming pools cantilevered out over the western edge.

Mole director Meredith Bowles said: “The Hakka buildings have also influenced our environmental strategy, with open circulation encouraging cross ventilation and solar screening, as well as observations that many of the more recent entirely sealed buildings out there don’t work well for that climate.”

Work is scheduled to start on site next year, with a projected construction budget of £40 million.

Last edited by kalifese; Sep 12, 2011 at 8:51 AM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 9:00 AM

another article. the design reminds me of the lalu in sun moon lake with the usage of natural materials like wood and stone and asian aesthetics. a very beautiful and successful design and so is this one. cant wait to see the finished project!!

Mole Architects and Gianni Botsford Architects have been appointed to design a 71,000m² resort in Hsinchu, Taiwan

Based on the concept of a walled hillside village, the scheme features a spa hotel, serviced apartments and 7 luxury villas.

A statement from Mole Architects explained: ‘The design works with traditional Chinese notions of entry, subdivision of space, and south facing pavilions, all set within a series of courtyard buildings.

‘Landscape is integrated into the urban village setting, with the ravine forming the central spine through the centre of the “village”, with views out at either end.’

The duo beat six other shortlisted design teams to win the job, including Arup, architect John Heah, and Japanese firm KKS.

Todd Longstaffe-Gowan devised the landscape while Tonkin Liu has designed a café for the site.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalifese View Post
i've always thought taiwan should try to emphasize it's culture more by designing more buildings with taiwanese/asian-style architecture instead of continually copying western-style architecture like that tacky gaudy faux-euro classical style so common with residential buildings.

Just look at Taipei Train Sation, what is the plan you like to propose to improve urban landscape?

Renovation?
Redevelopment?
Don't change it?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamchung taiwan View Post
Just look at Taipei Train Sation, what is the plan you like to propose to improve urban landscape?

Renovation?
Redevelopment?
Don't change it?
Taipei Main Station is very taiwanese in design. If it was rennovated to look more like one of the Opera Houses next to CKS Memorial, that would be perfect. To do this, it needs a redder roof and lighted pillars.

But on the cheap, just replace the horrible blue sign on top, clean the roof cladding so it looks more red, and paint the building from it's current brown concrete to a cleaner white concrete, and it will look 100x better.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamchung taiwan View Post

Renovation?
Redevelopment?
Don't change it?

i already gave my suggestions in another thread for taipei main station renovation. either in this forum or in skyscrapercity.com. i dont feel like repeating myself. but yes it should be renovated and redeveloped - building and landscaping around it. as much as possible!!!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed21x View Post
Taipei Main Station is very taiwanese in design. If it was rennovated to look more like one of the Opera Houses next to CKS Memorial, that would be perfect. To do this, it needs a redder roof and lighted pillars.

But on the cheap, just replace the horrible blue sign on top, clean the roof cladding so it looks more red, and paint the building from it's current brown concrete to a cleaner white concrete, and it will look 100x better.
In the past, I used to think they better demolish this building and make high-rise building on the same site.

But now I think we will lose our city identification if we do that. It is the cultural and architecture icon of Taipei. Why it is so ugly? I believe it is because Taiwan railway do poor maintenace job for it. They don't clean it for dacades until now. So I really like your comment on the way to improve. It just need to clean its surface (roof, external wall) and take that sign on the roof away.

I would like to make addition on this proposed idea. It is important for them to renovate station plaza which infront of Taipei Main. It is too much concrete and stone, it need more green stuffs! Also, they need to renovate pedestrain path surround station.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 7:41 AM

this has already been talked about before in the thread for taipei main station. i even posted photos and gave my suggestions on renovation ideas. i posted examples of modern asian-style architecture in japan that can be incorporated into the design of tms. i dont feel like searching for those posts so you can search for it. but you didnt even give me any credit or acknowledgement when i made those suggestions, williamchung!!

and no, i dont think the roof should be red. definitely not. that's very tacky. the design should be modernized with walls of glass and metallic roof. yet still maintain chinese/style/shape/aesthetics. but colors do not have to be typical chinese red like the grand hotel. black/grey would be nice colors for the roof, especially since they plant to cover it with solar panels anyway.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalifese View Post
this has already been talked about before in the thread for taipei main station. i even posted photos and gave my suggestions on renovation ideas. i posted examples of modern asian-style architecture in japan that can be incorporated into the design of tms. i dont feel like searching for those posts so you can search for it. but you didnt even give me any credit or acknowledgement when i made those suggestions, williamchung!!

and no, i dont think the roof should be red. definitely not. that's very tacky. the design should be modernized with walls of glass and metallic roof. yet still maintain chinese/style/shape/aesthetics. but colors do not have to be typical chinese red like the grand hotel. black/grey would be nice colors for the roof, especially since they plant to cover it with solar panels anyway.
The Japanese Station you regard to is this one.

I don't think Taipei Main Station must be modernised. It is not the only option I believe. Certainly internal finish need to be modernise. External surface just need to be clean and tidy. Renovation should focus on pedestrain, park, surface and decoration. That is the renovation I am thinking now.

However, this style of modern building is suitable for 京站!

This Hakata station didn't have many architectural features before it be renovated, it is just a box building even they renovate it. The new station just look likes another western building from my point of view, it does not give me any clauses or identifications of Japanese except Train Station Sign.

Last edited by williamchung taiwan; Sep 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 10:13 AM

Suzhou Museum is one I will perfer more for the idea of renovation for Taipei Main Station. It is modern building without lossing cultural identification.

Taipei Main Station is using chinese architectural detail, feature and idea to develop its design.The chinese architecture is based on idea of being solemn, especially massive palace for Chinese empires. You feel magnificant of chinese culture when you visit these buildings. That is the one I can feel from Taipei Main Station.

I believe we should optimise it rather than mordernise it.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 10:02 PM

no, i never referred to that japanese train station. it doesnt even look asian to me and looks kind of boring. i referred to some famous japanese stadium that was very modern yet asian with asian style sloped roof. i also posted other examples of similar architectural styles.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 10:04 PM

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 11:59 PM

Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) vice presidential candidate Su Jia-chyuan’s (蘇嘉全) farmhouse:

some political controversy going on with it. but who cares - it's a pretty nice house especially by taiwan standards!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 10:25 AM

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/h.../tseng_article

It began as a minor experiment,” Rudy Tseng maintains, characterizing his move some four years ago from a penthouse apartment in downtown Taipei to a rental house in the suburbs. “I wanted to see if I preferred living outside the city limits—a good 40 minutes from Taipei 101,” which he takes care to explain is the world’s tallest skyscraper and has even been dubbed “one of the Seven New Wonders of the World.” Just as soon as he was able to conclude that he did indeed like the suburbs better, he purchased a place there, in a gated community of 600 contemporary look-more-or-less-alike houses (the strict community code dictated white exterior walls and red-clay-tile roofs).

On the upside: The three-level hillside house afforded a wide-reaching view of archaic pastoral—a valley, a river and, in the distance, a mountain with a face of grand ferocity, bearing as it did a decided resemblance to a lion’s head. On the downside: Though only around 20 years old, the structure was deteriorating, battered by the roaring wind and flogging rain of Taiwan’s long typhoon season, and there were weeds in the disheveled garden “as high as a human.”

Tseng, a former managing director of The Walt Disney Company in Taiwan and now a professor of creative management in the graduate school of a university there, tapped the Taipei-based architect and designer Yann Chu, who had worked on both his apartment and a rental house. “When I first met Yann, he was just back from apprenticing in Paris,” Tseng recalls, “and he had named his Taipei studio Marais Design, after the district in the French capital that he had worked in and loved. He was young and fresh, with a lot of good ideas, especially industrial-design concepts. I’m going to go a bit out on a limb here and call him, more than a designer, a creative space reformer. Because even after a year of living in his brainchild, I am still discovering new design elements and experiencing strong aesthetic emotions.”

Tseng’s own tastes ran to the simple, if not the minimal. It was inescapable, given his collection of contemporary Asian art (including works by Xu Bing, Michael Lin, Li Yuan-Chia, Lin Liang-Tsai, Jien-Shiu Lien, Chieh-Jen Chen and Zhen Zhon) and YBAs (Young British Artists, including Jason Martin, Ian Davenport and David Batchelor), that he would want the space to look a little like a contemporary art gallery. “I told Yann that everything that could be white should be white,” he explains. “I needed it to all be fairly open but without feeling too cold.” In the end, thanks to the architect-cum-designer’s dynamism, Tseng got “something not just modern but, even better, futuristic.”

Chu “changed everything,” Tseng says—except for the color of the exterior and the roof, “the two no-nos.” Calling for the greatest ingenuity were the concept and subsequent execution of the staircases, which are different for each level. Some are freestanding, others intramural; some are solid, others “see-through” (the railing on the staircase connecting the first and second levels, for instance, is a silver stainless-steel tube encased in glass, while the railing on the staircase connecting the second and third levels is red lacquer). The back side of the open first-to-second-level staircase is accentuated with translucent light boxes.

The architect used reflective or semitransparent materials for the flooring throughout in order to create “other dimensions.” To fuse the house to the landscape, he enlarged the existing floor-to-ceiling multipaneled glass doors that opened from the living room to the garden, made still other windows bigger and even added fenestration. “On the third floor, in the den, in front of where I indicated I would be wanting to sit and read,” Tseng recounts, “Yann made a window expressly to frame a banana tree he’d planted in the garden right outside.” Nor did the architect forget to typhoon-proof the entire house, rigorously reinforcing everything in sight.

The garden plan for all three levels of the building as it climbs the hillside was Chu’s, too. On the ground floor, 30 immature Taiwanese cypress trees frame Korean grass, a couple of Japanese cherry trees and a rectangular pond that serves as a swimming pool for Tseng’s four-year-old golden retriever, Hamish. The first floor, reached by outdoor stairs, encompasses the entrance hall (Tseng describes it as “a meet-and-greet area for guests”) and the vast, luminous living room. The second floor consists of a dining area, a family room and a kitchen—one big open-plan space. A glass wall with a honeycomb inlay, which allows sunlight to penetrate while maintaining privacy, divides the dining area from the lushly planted side garden.

As one ascends the stairs to the master bedroom and bath, den and guest room that constitute the third floor—a double-height amalgam where the architecture achieves its fullest, most engulfing expression—David Batchelor’s freestanding neon light boxes blaze into view. Yellow, orange, blue, purple and green, they proceed to bounce fantastically off the glass panels that slice through the space as well as off a structural column that Chu wrapped in stainless steel for a mirroring effect.

Beyond a monumental door yawns the cavernous master bedroom with its semitransparent walls and pyramid ceiling. The master bath is semiopen, with a concave semitransparent boundary-blurring ceiling. On its other, semitransparent side is the book-lined den, which has furniture by Eames and Saarinen. (Chu himself designed a lot of the furniture for the house, including long benches carved from indigenous cypress, sculptural-looking wood stools and assorted cabinets, plus a dining table, a low table and a sideboard.)

“You’ve probably heard this before, but Chinese care about feng shui,” Tseng declares, pointing out a white, surfboardlike object above his bed that he explains is hiding an air-conditioning unit. “One of the things you have to be most cautious about is bed location. The trouble was there was a structural beam over where we wanted to put my bed, and you must never put your bed directly under a beam, unless you want to have bad dreams and bad luck as well. So we put the air conditioner up there and covered it with the surfboard design. You know, there are some people who even obsess about the direction of their bed, but I figured enough was enough—I didn’t want to go overboard,” he says with a laugh. “Although this whole house is maybe a little bit overboard.”

For all that it may look on the outside like its 599 neighbors, it certainly is singular and unexpected within: Together, Yann Chu and Rudy Tseng have made it boldly go where no house in the community has gone before.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 1:37 AM

this is in kenting.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 4:16 AM

this housing complex looks pretty nice. very big homes too!

housetube.tw/8840/雄崗建設/雄崗布拉格

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 4:32 AM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 8:56 PM

$50 Million Luxury Home in Taipei

the wsj lady is right: it does look like a hotel. altho nice, architecturally it's not very "homey" nor residential looking.

http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2012/04/2...EYWORDS=taiwan

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 7:25 PM

Nakagawa Nobuaki taipei house

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 11:44 AM

Hsinchu Stone Village Resort Hotel

i previously posted this residential/hotel resort project in this thread. it's a really big project and it looks really nice. i just love the contemporary translation of traditional asian architecture. very elegant and well done. from the architect's website: http://www.giannibotsford.com/projec...-resort-hotel/

Last edited by kalifese; Sep 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan