HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 9:06 PM
Basket Case

Yours kinda ended up stretched out sideways, so I enlarged/flipped it too.

http://enr.construction.com/building...w.asp?slide=13

Last edited by OptimumPx; Feb 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 9:36 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Since this thread is about WTC 7 I have a question. Why did WTC 7 collapse? I literally don't know. I did as MUCH research as I could but couldn't find out. It's not even mentioned in the 9/11 Commissions Report. Why do I not know 11 years later. Please someone tell me, thank you (very much appreciated).

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 9:51 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Since this thread is about WTC 7 I have a question. Why did WTC 7 collapse? I literally don't know. I did as MUCH research as I could but couldn't find out. It's not even mentioned in the 9/11 Commissions Report. Why do I not know 11 years later. Please someone tell me, thank you (very much appreciated).
The 9/11 Commission Report is about the events leading up to 9/11, not about the mechanics of the collapses of Towers 1, 2 & 7.

What you're looking for is the NIST Report on 9/11.

This article from Popular Mechanics gives the basic rundown on what is believed to have happened to WTC 7.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 9:59 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ I get that 7WTC fell from the debris from the Twins and small scattered fire, BUT then how come 3, 4, 5, and 6 WTC buildings were standing up right. Can you please explain to me so I can get a better understanding on and of 7WTC. Thank you.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 10:04 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
^ I get that 7WTC fell from the debris from the Twins and small scattered fire, BUT then how come 3, 4, 5, and 6 WTC buildings were standing up right. Can you please explain to me so I can get a better understanding on and of 7WTC. Thank you.
3, 4, & 6 were more or less mostly crushed (3 especially) and 5 had some local collapses in the middle of the building due to fire, but not to the same extent...but then again it was built entirely differently then 7 was.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that any of the WTC buildings were really "standing upright" after everything was over.

3 World Trade Center

4 World Trade Center

5 World Trade Center

6 World Trade Center

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 10:15 PM
Khurram Parvaz

4WTC

I would say ^ 4, 5, and 6 WTC buildings were standing pretty up right with "minor" damage. 3 had considerable damage but ever 3WTC was standing. But 7 was much farther away from the Twins than 3, 4, 5, and 6 were yet these 4 buildings were standing. Can you tell me why 3, 4, 5, and 6 WTC's were standing instead of 7, because I have to get a better understanding of this. Thank you.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 10:24 PM
Basket Case

Because they weren't built the same, weren't hit the same, didn't have fire in the same places of course they wouldn't react the same. And 3 was completely crushed outside of one tiny corner.

Read the NIST report, or at least the Popular Mechanics article on WTC 7. They explain it much better then I ever could.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 10:32 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimumPx View Post
weren't hit the same
They were hit MORE. I'm not asking you for an exact explanation. But if you got punched in the face that would hurt more than having a volleyball thrown at you. 3, 4, 5, and 6 WTC buildings were punched in the face head on and they survived. BUT 7 WTC was hit by the volleyball and fell. That's all I'm asking for. Thank you.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 11:00 PM
Basket Case

I'm not an expert, nor am I an engineer. All I can say is that a short building built in a specific way that was damaged in a specific way would react differently then a taller building that was built in a different way and damaged in a different way.

And none of the buildings survived in any way, its only that 4, 5, & 6 weren't completely destroyed. 3 didn't survive in any way shape or form. That's all I can tell you.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 11:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Every second person seems to think WTC-7 was a controlled demolition. No matter the near impossibility of organizing such a task without any leaks, etc. Tv specials hosted by Ed Asner have not helped to uphold the official story of what happened.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 11:15 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ No offense I have nothing against you, but the video is Architects and Engineers who ALL agree about a supposed "Conspiracy Theory". Do I think the same? No. But all I'm asking for is a clear scientific conclusion for why 7WTC fell. No one seems to have it after 11 years. Truth be told the video shows more proof and facts than people who think 9/11 naturally happened.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 11:19 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
^ No offense I have nothing against you, but the video is Architects and Engineers who ALL agree about a supposed "Conspiracy Theory". Do I think the same? No. But all I'm asking for is a clear scientific conclusion for why 7WTC fell. No one seems to have it after 11 years. Truth be told the video shows more proof and facts than people who think 9/11 naturally happened.
Then read the NIST Report on WTC 7. It IS as close to a "clear scientific conclusion for why 7WTC fell" that you will ever get from anyone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 11:27 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ I read it but it doesn't explain why 3, 4, 5, and 6 were left standing, EVEN if the exteriors were destroyed, and 7 fell down. That's the comparison I'm trying to make. I never said I believe in any conspiracy theory, BUT all I'm asking for is why did 7WTC (47 stories) fall, but 3, 4, 5, and 6 WTC buildings (9 some floors each except the hotel), stayed intact. The NIST explanation doesn't explain that.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 11:30 PM

Stop while you're ahead please.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
From what I know, there were a number of fuel tanks stored inside 7 WTC.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 11:51 PM

The low rises buildings at the WTC did not have a central support system, like an elevator core like high rise buildings do but instead a classic column and beam construction, where members are equally spaced from one another. So when parts of the building failed, (whole sections of the buildings were crushed and flattened) that destruction was localized and the entire structure did not come down. With 7 WTC a large gash was cut into the south side of the building where the fire spread, but in this case the entire structure was supported by only a few key structural elements, so when those failed, the entire structure collapsed.

These are very different buildings, don't treat them as equals.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 12:20 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^ So how come the Barclay Vesey Building didn't collapse? How come 90 West Street (94 year old building on 9/11) didn't collapse? How come nothing but minor damage occurred to the WFC? How come the Century 21 Building didn't collapse? How come 1 Liberty Plaza didn't collapse? How come the Winter Garden (which is basically a hollow glass atrium) didn't collapse? How come the Millennium Hotel didn't collapse? How come the U.S Post Office Building didn't collapse? Even the Deutsche Bank Building and Fiterman Hall didn't collapse (but were deconstructed).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 12:59 AM
Architect Curmudgeon

Ye gods I knew this would happen, I freaking KNEW IT!

Ye all bonkers and Blathergeisting about this nonsense!

If you want to kick around kooky conspiracy theories do it SOMEWHERE ELSE.
"God damn modern architect's and their Brtualism, and 'realism' and damn concrete boxes. Why I remember back when buildings had STYLE back when you would have real ARTISTS working away both inside and out!
"Um, aren't you like barely 30?"
"Thats not the point you damn whipper snapper!"

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 1:42 AM
Crane Goddess

Yeah, there are a lot of conspiracy sites out there, don't get this thread locked with that stuff.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 3:08 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^ You know right. I hate conspiracy theories. But we can all agree upon the fact that we love facts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture