HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 2:34 PM

Halvoo, Finland - a SketchUp city

This is Halvoo (Halvöby in Swedish), a fictional city on the southern coast of Finland. It will be set in an alternate reality, where Finns aren’t afraid of high rise buildings. Also it will be more compact than an actual Finnish city this size would be. That’s to make it possible for me to reach the suburbs some time – though I probably never will get to modeling the suburbs. The planned area is 10 km x 10 km, about 100 times more than what I covered with Bourne – and that took me years.

To introduce you to the city, here’s a short recap of its history. I’ve tried to make it in line with the actual history of Finland, but I’ve used artistic freedom here and there.

Chronological history

11th century:
First signs of permanent settlement on Halvoonniemi cape.

15th century:
Halvoonkylä trade village is located at approximately the current downtown area.

1674:
Halvoo is given city rights.

1760’s:
Halvoonlinna, a fort protecting the harbor, is completed.

1829:
The latest great fire destroys most of the city. A new grid plan is drawn for the city by Carl Olof Cederfelt.

1850:
Map_1850 by Vellu04, on Flickr

1882:
New South Port is opened to replace the cramped Old Port.

1893:
Railway from Helsinki to Turku is opened and Halvoo Station is one stop along the way. A branch line continues to the port.

1900:
Map_1900 by Vellu04, on Flickr

1940-44:
Some of the buildings and even whole blocks are destroyed in Soviet bombings during WWII. Damage to the city and its population is not extensive.

1949:
A new port for oil transportation is opened on Isoniemi cape just south of Halvoonniemi cape.

1950:
Map_1950 by Vellu04, on Flickr

1959:
Halvoo airport is opened.

1964:
Highway bypassing the city center is opened. Later it becomes a part of Helsinki – Turku highway.

1968:
University of Halvoo is founded.

1980:
Map_1980 by Vellu04, on Flickr

1987:
New highway bypassing the city from south side is completed.

1992:
Halvoo Port is opened to replace the South Port and later the Isoniemi Port. Redevelopment of the old port area begins.

Current map:
Map_2015 by Vellu04, on Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup