HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 4:16 PM
TL;DR

The Starwood proposal is awesome. It's like an Oscar Niemeyer building from Brazil came over and started speaking with a Brooklyn accent.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don't think we need any throwbacks here. Something fresh, new, and exciting. We're building the New York of the new century after all.
I look forward to the day when architects can once again do "revival" architecture with the kind of quality that it has been done in the past. I agree in principal that New York (and all places for that matter) deserves NEW architecture, and that replicating old styles in the modern age tends to come off cheesy and "fake" looking.

We shouldn't forget however, that until the onset of Modernism, it was quite common to take old styles and make them new again. "Beaux Arts," for example, was a take on neo-classical that was highly original, and probably looked very "modern" in its day. I can't wait until "post-modernism" is over and architects can sincerely create new interpretations of old styles once again.

Last edited by mr1138; Mar 9, 2012 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:18 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Hotels in Brooklyn, are a scarce seldom thing, as they seldom if ever appear (but there are some). But I can see this hotel is trying to take advantage of the Manhattan skyline view.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 9:50 PM

any news on these? are any of these projects under construction and when is the completion date for all the units?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 4:14 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
This magnificent site deserves something iconic. NY has some many amazing groundscrapers and can do much better.

In fact, I'd rather have a neo-Georgian complex, like in Richmond-upon-Thames, over what's been proposed thus far.

http://www.picturesofengland.com
I agree, this location deserves something majestic to enjoy for those of us who have developed an appreciation for this type of architecture.

What I would like to see is a mini version of Central Park on the waterfront.
Make it special, not just boring grass.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 10:12 AM
Everywhere all at once

It was recently reported on curbed, I believe, that the winning proposal would need to revise its design now that the flood levels and necessary precautions for future Sandy-like hurricanes have been released. Doubt that will affect the design much, but it's a newly necessary part of most waterfront projects in New York.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 4:49 PM

Smile NEW YORK | Pierhouse & 1 Hotel | 130FT | 8/10 FLOORS

Brooklyn Bridge Park's Newest Batch of Condos Revealed
June 4, 2013,
by Sara Polsky

Quote:
Toll Brothers City Living and Starwood Capital Group won the competition to design a new hotel and residential complex at Brooklyn Bridge Park. The residential component, called Pierhouse, has launched its teaser site, and we got our hands on a few renderings. Sales will begin this fall. There will be somewhere around 120 "townhouse-style" condos in the building, and the whole project will also include restaurants, banquet and meeting space, retail, a fitness center, and a parking garage. (The hotel, called 1 Hotel, will have 193 rooms.) Revenues from all this go toward the upkeep of Brooklyn Bridge Park.
http://www.pierhouseny.com/#

These will be gone in no time even though the prices will certainly be astronomical.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 12:02 AM
TL;DR

This is a boring disappointment. The original Starwood proposal was awesome.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 1:01 AM

From afar, it looks like it's crumbling.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 1:03 AM

In that location, in the current real estate market, these will sell out in two seconds.

The Brooklyn market has such a tight inventory right now. We are looking to buy and it is ridiculous.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 3:56 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Both proposals are boring and sterile, but at least it'll bring in it more development.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 4:10 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

are there height restrictions? just curious as the two proposals are about the same size as the former warehouses there.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
are there height restrictions? just curious as the two proposals are about the same size as the former warehouses there.
Yes, there are strict height and design restrictions.

If you go back to see all the proposals submitted to the city, they all had had the exact same height and footprint, and almost the same design. Really only the facades varied.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 1:14 AM
Mr. Technology

I would have considered buying a condo there, but I am more than certain that my budget would not suffice.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 7:56 PM

The building recently topped out but not everybody is happy about it

Quote:
The view-blocking in-progress condo-hotel project in Brooklyn Bridge Park has infuriated neighbors for quite some time now. But Brooklyn Heights resident Steven Guterman has now taken his grievances over what he claims is the inadmissibly tall height of Pierhouse to Change.org, where he's set up a petition calling for a halt of construction and a more stringent architectural review process for the future. Developer Toll Brothers is expecting more than $250 million in sales, so it's unlikely that 41 signatories will sway its profit-hungry path.
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/1...medium=twitter

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 5:51 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Construction Update: Pierhouse

Credit: http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2015...-at-pierhouse/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 5:40 PM

i live basically a block from here. I suppose I should be giving more photo updates, boh of the buildings, and of work on the park generally.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 1:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Squibb Park Bridge Will Reopen in the Spring

Quote:
The bouncing, zigzagging, and pricey pedestrian footbridge that links Brooklyn Heights with Brooklyn Bridge Park is set to reopen this spring, after closing in August for repairs, according to Brooklyn Paper. BBP expects to spend $700,000 repairing the two-year-old bridge, on top of the $4,100,000 it cost to construct.

When the park closed the bridge last summer, BBP said the bridge timber could have warped and affected the cable tensions, causing the bridge to sway more than it should. But now park president Regina Myer is unsure if she wants to issue a report on the underlying causes, because she doesn’t “want to jeopardize the possibility of litigation,” according to the paper.
=====================================
http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2015...in-the-spring/

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:03 PM

Pierhouse at Brooklyn Bridge Park

Quote:
Pierhouse at Brooklyn Bridge Park is a new condo development by Toll Brothers City Living, Starwood Capital and Toll Brothers currently under construction at 90 Furman Street in Brooklyn. The development is scheduled for completion in 2015. Sales for available units range in price from $1,050,000 to $10,490,000. The development has a total of 108 units.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 2:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Brooklyn Bridge Park authorities can move ahead with plans for waterfront towers following legal settlement

Quote:
A park advocacy group that got a temporary restraining order to stop the construction of two new towers at Brooklyn Bridge Park has settled its lawsuit against the Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation, allowing the project to move ahead, the Daily News has learned.

“This is great news for the millions who enjoy Brooklyn Bridge Park,” said a spokesperson for the Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation. “ We look forward the moving ahead with a fantastic project that will plug the final remaining gap in funding for this world class open space.”

But the settlement, filed Wednesday in New York State Supreme Court, is not without its victories for the tower’s opponents, who will now be able to voice their concerns at one or more public hearings dictated by the terms of the settlement.

“The settlement provides for a meaningful process whereby experts and community members can be heard,” said Frank Carone, an attorney for the park advocates.

The so-called People for Green Space Foundation first filed suit against the Brooklyn Bridge Park authorities last year in a bid to quash plans for the two towers.
============================
http://marvelarchitects.com/project/pierterrace/
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2237875

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development