HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 3:27 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
Avalon just posted a sign stating that the towers are coming in 2009. I saw some bulldozer activity a few weeks ago, so I'd expect it to kick off in earnest over the next couple months.
This is the lot along King, right? They are clearly doing site prep. I saw them taking soil samples a few weeks back as well. I think your estimated timing is correct.

One other update in Mission Bay: I don't know the streets or addresses in here at all, but very close to the 280 extension ramps to King and Sixth, they are almost done pile driving for whatever will go there. Wow, that's a real informational update, isn't it? Some building I don't know anything about is close to going up in a location I can't name. Oh well!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
This is the lot along King, right? They are clearly doing site prep. I saw them taking soil samples a few weeks back as well. I think your estimated timing is correct.

One other update in Mission Bay: I don't know the streets or addresses in here at all, but very close to the 280 extension ramps to King and Sixth, they are almost done pile driving for whatever will go there. Wow, that's a real informational update, isn't it? Some building I don't know anything about is close to going up in a location I can't name. Oh well!
330 Berry is right along King, but 335 Berry is on Mission Creek. I believe that those buildings you are referring are commercial and possibly part of the biotech campus. I saw the blueprints for the entire Mission Bay development area and I think that the only residential development that has begun construction south of the channel is Radiance.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
330 Berry is right along King, but 335 Berry is on Mission Creek. I believe that those buildings you are referring are commercial and possibly part of the biotech campus. I saw the blueprints for the entire Mission Bay development area and I think that the only residential development that has begun construction south of the channel is Radiance.
If the project we're talking about is just to the east of 280 and just north of the Gladstone Institutes building, then that's 1500 Owens, part of Alexandria's biotech campus. They've just finished piledriving for that project. It looks like they may also be starting some driving for other projects there too...probably the parking garage tucked up against the freeway there, but possibly 1600 Owens as well.

Piledriving for other biotech projects is also being done on Block 26 between Third Street and the Lowe building that's almost enclosed now.

In addition to Radiance, there's one other South of the Channel residential project going up, and that's 555 Mission Rock. The tower crane went up a month or so ago, and the first above-ground concrete pours have been done.

Edit: Having just taken a walk through the area, I'll clarify a few things. They've taken down the piledriver at 1500 Owens, so that's it for now in that area. They've done some grading where the parking garage will eventually go, but that may just be for construction parking for now.

They're also working north of that site on getting ready to surcharge the future streets. Sixth Street just south of the channel has been closed for a month or two now (permanently, as a new street grid is going in), and they've graded a large area heading over from there to the freeway, where the roads will connect through to Seventh Street. They've just started installing the wicks for the surcharging. You can clearly see where the roundabout is going to be, as it's a sea of blue and white flags marking the locations for wicks...probably a neat view from above.

Piledriving for Phase II of Radiance has to be nearly finished. They've been driving piles there for what seems like forever, and the lot looks like just about every square inch has had a pile driven into it. There were two piledrivers working the site for a long time, but it's been down to one finishing things up for a few weeks now.

Piledriving for the Block 26 biotech buildings continues apace. 160-170 ft. piles being driven in this area...that can't be cheap.

Steel continues to rise on 409 Illinois...all of it has reached two stories, and parts are up to four stories now. Foundation work continues on its partner building at 499 Illinois...I assume the steel crane will start there once it's done with 409.

Last edited by WildCowboy; Oct 22, 2007 at 9:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 10:00 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the update, WildCowboy. The building I was referring to must be 1500 Owens. I'll probably have to head down to Menlo Park tomorrow and will look for that roundabout of flags on the way back home.

Thanks to you too, roadwarrior. I guess 330 Berry is the lot I mentioned. 330 and 335 look like the last open lots north of the channel. It's amazing how this area has changed in the past 10-15 years and really in just the past 5-10 years south of the channel. It's quite a different community for the folks who live in those houseboats.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 9:04 PM

10/29 Mission Bay Update

Piledriver has arrived at 335 Berry, the last channel-front project left to start and part of the 330/335 Berry affordable housing project.

Also, a second piledriver has joined in over at the Block 26 biotech project. Add in the remaining one finishing up over at Radiance and it gives me a headache walking by there.

And the cops are crawling all over the place here due to the mayor's State of the City address in the UCSF community center.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 12:34 AM

I walked by the area yesterday. In addition to the activity at 330/335 Berry, it appears that the final leveling of the land is taking place at the Avalon site. Since they've already done the piledriving, I would imagine its only a short matter of time before construction begins (especially since they're looking to open in 2009).

In addition, I noticed some construction equipment in the dirt area underneath the overpass (across the street from Edgewater). Does anyone know if they plan to expand the current park with the basketball and tennis courts to cover this site? That would be a great use of space and I'm very impressed with the amount of park space that is being made available in this neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 5:26 PM

Could it be part of the surcharging project for the roads in that section of MB that I mentioned above?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 2:29 AM
North Beach

I used my "free" extra hour this morning to extend my usual walk down into this area. I am not especially familiar with these developments, but I am sure someone else will be able to provide captions. These shots should give an overview of the styles being used in Mission Bay. Tough lighting conditions, though....

This large building U/C is the first thing to greet the pedestrian crossing the bridge:

Across the street is a great deal of construction:

I walked down into this area for a closer look. At least one building is occupied; the others still empty or U/C:

exposed cement:

An old style steamship is nearby. Anyone know anything about it?

Plenty of piles:

This must be a pile driveARRRRRR:

Back over at the college campus:

A garage dominates the entry way, disguised with these strips:

Housing, etc:

A new vista:

Despite the harsh sunlight, the moon is still visible:

There are wonderful views from here, soon to be so much the better:

All our favorite projects in one photo!

Anyone know what in the world this is all about?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 3:55 AM

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 3:56 AM
Green Berniecrat

Great shots Dave.

Regarding the last shot you took, I believe that is what remains of the mega ramp used in the ICER AIR event they had going on at AT&T Park.

Taken from sfgiants.com:

Quote:
Esurance ICER AIR 2007 will feature a big air ski and snowboard competition, freestyle motocross, skate and BMX vert and street courses, 60 exhibitors, and 2 music stages. Olympic and X Games athletes will share the spotlight with a surprise headliner band.

A newly designed ski and snowboard jump will rise over 10 stories in the middle of the ball park, extending over 350 feet in length and covered with over 200 tons of snow. Spectators will be afforded views of Olympic medalists and X Games champions flying through the air against the backdrop of the spectacular San Francisco Bay.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 7:09 PM

Thanks for the shots of my neighborhood...I work in the one building you didn't really get a shot of.

I think it's fairly clear what buildings are what, but then again, I keep close tabs on things, so let me know if you have any questions.

Regarding the cruise ship, here is an article about it.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 2:26 AM
North Beach

Thank you for the info on OCEANIC. Shame to see a ship with such classic lines left to decay -- far better looking than the modern shoebox on a hull cruise ships.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 7:18 PM

Brief Mission Bay update:

The steel on 409 Illinois is topped out and concrete crews are pouring the fourth floor slab yesterday and today. The crane has moved over and started the steel for 499 Illinois as of yesterday.

Piledrivers on Radiance Phase II and Alexandria's Block 26 have been pretty quiet. Radiance may be done...not sure where we stand with Block 26, although I saw them driving one pile yesterday. All three piledrivers remain on-site.

Not much new visible on from the outside on the Lowe building, which was just purchased by CB Richard Ellis.

555 Mission Rock work continues, with forms for the second floor being put in place, so we're starting to something more than just a few columns and sheer walls sticking up from the ground.

On the western side next to 280, some groundwork is still going on where the parking garage is supposed to be. Not sure what the timetable is. Work still continues slowly on 1500 Owens...not coming out of the ground. Crews are working hard on laying the infrastructure in this area for extending Owens Street. Wicks have been completed for the roundabout and the connections under 280. Soil is being loaded on for surcharging.

Bosa and their sub-contractors have set up a village of trailers just south of the channel. Construction should start soon on their projects in that area.

And piledriving continues north of the channel on 335 Berry.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 10:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
Thank you for the info on OCEANIC. Shame to see a ship with such classic lines left to decay -- far better looking than the modern shoebox on a hull cruise ships.
Here's a lot more about her: http://www.ssmaritime.com/ss-indepen...nstitution.htm

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 3:18 AM
Only Mostly Dead

They are currently pile driving on all three lots north of the channel: 330, 335 and the lot on the other side of Avalon from 330. The neighbors must love that.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
They are currently pile driving on all three lots north of the channel: 330, 335 and the lot on the other side of Avalon from 330. The neighbors must love that.
Well at least us skyscraper nuts have a webcam to view the work!

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/?webPath=avalonbay/amb/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 6:14 PM

If I was a neighbor, I'd probably prefer that the piledriving all be done at the same time rather than stretching it out.

The tower crane at Radiance phase 1 started coming down yesterday. Not sure when they plan to start on phase 2.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 6:59 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
If I was a neighbor, I'd probably prefer that the piledriving all be done at the same time rather than stretching it out.
Good point. The difference between 1 piledriver going and having 3-4 going is probably negligible compared to tripling the length of time the piledriving would be occuring. Now that you bring it up, I wouldn't be surprised if it was planned this way all along for just that reason.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 7:00 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Cool webcam link, rocketman. Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 4:33 PM

I wonder when they are going to tear down the warehouses next to the houseboats and start construction on that area. It seems that that area, along with the parking lots right by the ballpark (partially occupied by the Cirque Du Soleil tent) are the only areas not under construction at the moment or at least having their land leveled in preparation for construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development