HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 7:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
No - Governors Island is and will offer a completely different experience than any "local" park. And your logic is ridiculous. I can "enjoy" a nice movie at home, but sometimes I want to go to a theater to see one. I can also "enjoy" a nice meal at home, but guess what - sometimes I want to go out to a restaurant and enjoy the experience there.

You really have no basis for complaint. My only advice to you is to stay away. But if you still want to go, and the $2 fare is a problem, my advice to you and anybody else complaining about it - learn how to swim.
True. I didn't think of that.

$2 isn't much but it was sort of a hassle getting there (thanks to that massive highway) but the ferry ride was a unique way to get to the park. It could be a gimmicky but if people enjoy it then good for them! And to be surrounded by water and seeing the Lower Manhattan Island could be another good reason to visit to the park again.

I think I'll give the place one more try since I was stuck with my class the first time and couldn't to anything else

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 8:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNYMAN View Post
Will be going here soon to take on the great views of the skyline thats for sure!!
Looking forward to your pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
I think I'll give the place one more try since I was stuck with my class the first time and couldn't to anything else
The place is slowly unfolding, give it a chance before you write if off. There are a lot of things in the works, some you may like, some not. But isn't it wonderful that in a developed city like New York, new things on a large scale can still be created? The city is becoming increasingly crowded, they predict there will be 9 million residents in a couple of decades. I think it's great that so much open space can be devoted to park space, and not hinder growth of the city otherwise. Brooklyn Bridge Park was another nice creation, its been slowly opening in phases the past few years, and it too is already drawing the crowds.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1805323

New Yorkers savior the attractions at revamped Governors Island on Memorial Day weekend
The island reopened Saturday with a new 30-acre park on its southern end, a $75 million renovation that includes new landscaping, playing fields and a grove filled with 50 hammocks.

BY Simone Weichselbaum , Chelsia Marcius
May 25, 2014

Quote:
...The 172-acre island reopened Saturday with a new 30-acre park on its southern end, a $75 million renovation that includes new landscaping, ballfields and a grove filled with 50 hammocks.

On June 7, a miniature golf course will open.

http://gothamist.com/2014/05/24/phot...fo.php#photo-7

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 3:30 PM
New Yorker for life

http://govislandblog.com/2015/03/25/...-and-climbing/

Fifty Feet and Climbing!

March 25, 2015
by S. Shaw

Quote:
The Hills continue to rise on Governors Island! As you know, three of our four hills, (Grassy, Slide and Discovery) are already at their rough grade (aka their approximate height before adding soil for planting grass, trees and other vegetation). Each will offer a different experience to park goers. Grassy Hill will provide unobstructed views of the new park and a gentle grassy slope, perfect for watching baseball games below. Slide Hill will have a fun, family friendly play-space with climbing structures and slides of differing heights embedded into the landscape. Discovery Hill will offer a leisurely path through nature and incorporate public art by the artist Rachel Whiteread into the landscape.

Finally Outlook Hill, the tallest of the four hills, is still under major construction. We hit the 50 foot height mark last week, but still have a ways to go! When Outlook is complete it will tower 70 feet over the promenade, providing unmatched views of Lower Manhattan and the New York Harbor.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 3:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 6:40 PM
Registered Ugly

A bridge to Brooklyn would be nice.

Also, I see there is an octagonal structure connected to the island directly above the 478. Any connection between the two in terms of infrastructure?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post

Also, I see there is an octagonal structure connected to the island directly above the 478. Any connection between the two in terms of infrastructure?

Absolutely not. The great thing about this place is its isolation. And one of the great things about brooklyn is its relative dearth of Wandering tourists.. Keep them separate.

As for the construction progress, I think it's going to spectacular. What an amazing amazing idea to have big hills from which you can view the whole park and the city beyond. I'm excited

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Absolutely not. The great thing about this place is its isolation. And one of the great things about brooklyn is its relative dearth of Wandering tourists.. Keep them separate.

The tourists will come once there is a "there" there. I remember when this place first reopened to the public, and it was nice and isolated. Since then it's become very popular when it's open. What it needs is more access, which will come in time.

As far as tourists goes, it's New York. There are tourist. They're in Central Park. They're in Brooklyn Bridge Park. They'll be here as well. A lot of New Yorkers won't go out of their way to come to a park such as this, but tourists will. The city is big enough for everyone.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 2:37 AM

Currently the island is only open to the public for 3 months.

Is the plan to open it for longer once the construction is done? This weekend would have been great to visit, but it wont open for almost 2 months

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 3:00 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
Currently the island is only open to the public for 3 months.

Is the plan to open it for longer once the construction is done? This weekend would have been great to visit, but it wont open for almost 2 months
Currently its seasonal, but with expanded service, and facilities, it will be extended as they are aiming to make the place accessible and trying to get some cultural aspects to it such as history and events going. Ultimately though its up to the governing body who manages the place.

There is also a commercial and reserved cultural use aspect to the island, so this does factor into where the general public can go on the site and at what time (Why on some days the hours are cut short for example). Then theres the logistics of the ferries and the current uses of the piers in which they take off from.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Yup, its a vent structure

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 1:11 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 4:02 AM

Im assuming the pictures are old, because all the trees dont have leaves...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 11:51 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
Im assuming the pictures are old, because all the trees dont have leaves...
Yeah it is. But the point is the documenting of the hills. If I find recent ones I'll post it, but you can see how much work in terms of excavation, and flattening of the land.

one world observatory by branko_, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 2:44 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Video Update: Governors Island

Note: Pause at 4:00 mark to see the status from the air

Filmed June 22nd

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 8:34 PM

From the air it looks flat

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 4:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

From a few days ago

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 1:56 AM

Bonus:

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 3:02 PM

They really should have gotten larger, more mature trees. You won't be able to hang hammocks from those trees (or find any shade) for at least another 10-20 years.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 1:09 AM

They said its because of the conditions on the island. Mature trees would be killed by the wind and salt

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 4:02 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
What are those?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development