HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I'm rather baffled that nobody posted this.....as there are no plans or renderings available
There was nothing to post.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 2:13 PM

Quote:

Frankly, it's an irritatingly deceptive article title and unbecoming of Crains, as there are no plans or renderings available. So I'm not sure why they use the phrase "show off plans"
Somewhat...technically Lucas did show off renderings to those in attendance at the private party at VOA, just not to the public.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swicago Swi Sox View Post
Somewhat...technically Lucas did show off renderings to those in attendance at the private party at VOA, just not to the public.
When will the public be seeing them?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
When will the public be seeing them?
Sorry, didn't mean to give the impression that I was there. My first statement was just what I took away from the Crains article. The article says the new design will be released in the "coming weeks".

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 3:29 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Until the FOTP lawsuit is finally resolved (and obviously ruled in favor of the new museum), why even show an updated design?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 6:15 PM
Urbane observer

Because the museum wants to open in 2019. The lawsuit has nothing to do with the design of the building.

Some details of what I would expect the redesigned museum to look like:

Total square footage has been reduced from 400,000 to 300,000 sq ft, but the basic form of shan-shui hills remains the same, just smaller in plan. The building is 150 feet high at the center oculus, about the same as Soldier Field (McCormick Place Lakeside Center is only 60 feet). The interior is organized into a great "dome" (inside the largest hill) with ramps up to various galleries around the perimeter. The second-tallest hill houses a tall library reading room, with classroom spaces between that and the tall hill. The third-tallest hill houses three cinemas, two seating around 300 and a third seating 200. The interiors will reflect the sloping roof with slanted ceilings in places, meaning gallery walls only 11 or 12 feet at the outer edges. VOA is the architect of record.

The reduction in footprint allows the south half of the site to remain as a “prairie plaza,” landscaped somehow but also able to be used for tailgating, parking during Bears games, car shows, race starts, and festivals. The details of how this will work should be interesting, as many such schemes (remember "grasscrete?") have been tried around the world with little success, especially in harsh climates.

Landscaping around the perimeter will treat building runoff in a series of rain gardens and similar features prior to discharge into the lake. The building plaza rizes from the park as hardscape, covering the vehicular dropoff, and leads to the entrance and a transition to the more vertical walls of the building itself. Façade will be precast in complex three-dimensional forms and a variety of shapes, so the joint lines won’t appear to be a deformed grid just draped over the hills.

Parking is ground level of the museum building and one level below grade, with a total of 940 stalls. Museum is committed to some sort of access across Burnham Harbor to Northerly Island, but that’s unlikely to be a bridge (apparently the harbor operator and boaters objected). The museum hopes CTA will extend the Museum Campus bus lines (130-146) south to serve it, but will leave entirely to “the city” how to pay for the additional platform hours that would necessitate.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 6:42 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Because the museum wants to open in 2019. The lawsuit has nothing to do with the design of the building......
Yes, thank you, I'm aware of that - What I meant was why put the proverbial cart before the horse when nothing is (seemingly) guaranteed?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 7:40 PM
The City

It's too bad that a bridge to Northerly Island is ruled out. I wonder what other "improved access" they have in mind, then?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 5:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It's too bad that a bridge to Northerly Island is ruled out. I wonder what other "improved access" they have in mind, then?
I was thinking off the top of my head a ferry or river taxi.

I would prefer a Chicago like draw Bridge built in the same fashion as the older ones on the Chicago river but much longer. It would not be that hard of a task for the counter weights are so large it only takes a few horsepower to move the current ones.

Why a conventional bridge could not used is because the harbor has sail boats with very tall masts that cannot be lowered.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 1:28 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Shuttle bus? Which will eventually be Memorial to Labor Day only, and then negotiated downward to a Divvy station.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 4:09 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Shuttle bus? Which will eventually be Memorial to Labor Day only, and then negotiated downward to a Divvy station.
There's a shuttle bus that takes visitors from the main reception/extended exhibit area/ticket purchasing to the mansion at Graceland in Memphis, so maybe that's not such a bad idea....

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 4:32 PM

Quote:
booooo

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 4:37 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
I've heard that this will be used to ferry folks over:

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 9:47 PM
Urbane observer

See, I'm still hoping they'll reconstruct this:

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 2:16 AM
TL;DR

At least the bar still exists.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 4:37 AM

Quote:
The harbors bring in about $25 million in revenue per year against a cost of $10 million. Yeah, that's not a huge portion of the Park District's annual budget, but it's nothing to sneeze at.

Burnham Harbor has the largest boat docks in the whole system, and those are the most expensive per foot as well.

http://www.chicagoharbors.info/wp-co...015-Budget.pdf

A relatively inexpensive passenger/bicycle ferry service is far more financially prudent for the Park District.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 2:34 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
See, I'm still hoping they'll reconstruct this:

This would be wonderful.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
A relatively inexpensive passenger/bicycle ferry service is far more financially prudent for the Park District.
How much would a "relatively inexpensive passenger/bicycle ferry service" cost?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
They could borrow a page from London or Barcelona on this one.
It could run over/along the harbor and up to the planetarium/aquarium.

Add a sponsor and Chicago could have The United Air Line

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Good question. The Coast Guard has certified those crappy-looking tiki pontoon boats that you see around Monroe harbor and the playpen, so they must be good enough for crossing the middle of the harbor. You should have no problem building something like that out for $50k or less. Add a zero at the end because Chicago and you're still less than $1 million which is much less than a bridge would cost.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive