HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 3:18 PM
sick transit, gloria

To provide some actual numbers, Toronto's downtown area employed 420,500 in 2009, up from 385,900 in 2004. This is defined as the area roughly bounded by the Lake, Bathurst St, Bloor St (with some exceptions) and the Don River.

Yonge-Eglinton employs 20,800, NYCC 34,700. There are probably about 10,000 jobs at Yonge and St. Clair.

700,000 is not a bad guess if you included all the gaps between downtown and the Centres.

Source: http://www.toronto.ca/demographics/pdf/survey2009.pdf It should be noted that these numbers are based on a manual survey and do not account for any undercount or employment that takes place at non-visible places of employment (home-based etc).

I can't find any definitive numbers for London and would be interested to see them. Wikipedia cites an employment level of 330,000 for the City of London, but "downtown" would cover a somewhat larger area. Plus Canary Wharf I guess.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 3:54 PM
I am a typical

Well still, almost half a million jobs in a city less than half the size of two European cities with just over a million jobs in their downtowns isn't that bad by comparison.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 4:00 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
Actually 905ers have some of the best transit access to the core. Most can get downtown faster than people who live within Toronto and use the TTC.

Most of the 905 is within a 30-45 minute GO Train ride from downtown.

And almost the entire GTA is within an hour of downtown by GO Train.
If the trains were electrified, than the commutes would be even faster.
Of course this reasoning is based on the notion that the GO services the 905 exclusively.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 10:37 PM

This matches up with what I'm getting now that I'm looking into these patterns. About 100-110k 905ers working downtown and most of them get there by transit. 905ers do contribute to some downtown congestion but not as much as it's often made out to be.
http://swontariourbanist.blogspot.ca...from-part.html

Also - looking into it more, there's about as many downtown residents commuting by car (the ones going by car are mostly reverse commuting) as there are people commuting by car to downtown from the entire 905.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto