HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 3:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
That was epic. Surreal one might say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
I understand the exception most may take with this breach, but I just watched it 5 times, and will probably watch it another 5 times before today's over. Unreal!

It is interesting to watch, and most likely won't be the last attempt at such a stunt from this towers (or others going up in the City). I've watched it several times myself. But it's the breach of security that is most troubling, particularly for this tower. Even though this happened months before that kid snuck up to the top of the building, more heads will likely roll for this. It's an embarrassment for both the Port Authority and the Durst Organization.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1732593

Helmet camera shows skydiver's remarkable jump from World Trade Center
The three daredevils, along with their lookout, pulled off a breathtaking jump from the Freedom Tower. But the price they paid was surrendering to cops Monday to face charges such as burglary. They pulled off the bold shenanigans on Sept. 30, an act that initially raised fears of terrorism.

BY Rocco Parascandola , Shayna Jacobs , Tina Moore
March 24, 2014

Quote:
Brady, 32, Andrew Rossig, 33, Marco Markovich, 27, and the lookout, Kyle Hartwell, 29, were charged with burglary, reckless endangerment and jumping from a structure, cops said.

They were arraigned Monday night and released on $3,500 bail.

Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Neil Ross called their actions “utter recklessness” conducted in an “organized fashion.”

The skydivers say that if the video becomes popular on YouTube and pulls in some money, they will donate the proceeds to a charity for families of 9/11 victims, Rossig’s attorney, Timothy Parlatore, told The News.

“This was never intended to be a publicity stunt,” Parlatore added. “However, since the police department has turned it into something of a spectacle, the defendants are hoping the video can be used for some good.”

Investigators identified the four men by tracking a car that was spotted on video near 1 World Trade Center and belonged to one of their relatives, a source said.

“This is a strong case as a result of a long-term investigation” by the NYPD, Port Authority and the Manhattan District Attorney’s office, prosecutor Joseph Giovannetti said in court.

“These arrests should send a message to anyone thinking about misusing a landmark this way,” Police Commissioner Bill Bratton said. “They will be tracked down and they will face serious charges. Being a thrill-seeker does not give immunity from the law.”

On Monday, Rossig blasted the Port Authority’s security operation at the 1 World Trade Center construction site, explaining that they gained access to the building about 3 a.m. on Sept. 30 by slipping through a hole in a fence that was covered by nothing but a tarp.

“God forbid it wasn’t somebody else getting in there with real intentions to harm New Yorkers,” he said.

He said they “just kind of walked in” through a tarp that connected two fences.

“We were not ever looking to go public with this,” he added. “We knew what we were getting into when we did it.”

It was also revealed on Monday that Brady, a construction worker from Kings Park, L.I., had previously been assigned to work at 1 World Trade Center, according to police sources. He stopped working at the site after Thanksgiving.

Both he and Rossig were described as experienced B.A.S.E. jumpers who travel the world in pursuit of their hobby.

“The Freedom Tower being the biggest building in the western hemisphere, it’s just a fair amount of free fall time and you really get to enjoy the view of the city and see it from a different perspective,” Rossig said.

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 3:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
When the article said that the PA and Durst expect the spire lighting program to be ready in a few months, is that meant to be the official permanent lighting for the spire/mast?
Yes.

JimG-NL

ccho

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:37 PM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
I understand the exception most may take with this breach, but I just watched it 5 times, and will probably watch it another 5 times before today's over. Unreal!
In a way it felt oddly cathatic to watch.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 5:17 PM

It wouldn't be a new tallest building in New York without something crazy like this happening. The jump looked like something out of a James Bond movie. In retrospect its all in good fun for the participants and observers of the activity.

However I kind understand the sensitivity surrounding the WTC site politically and criminally in relation to the grieving families of the one's who died in the attacks. This is not a normal construction site.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Burglary? For jumping from the building? What'd they steal? That makes no sense... Criminal Trespass sure, but I'm not connecting the dots for burglary...
Right, he will get trespassing charges. He is not suppose to be. He can't go on the top of WTC. He cannot allow go inside the entire WTC without proper permission by Port Authority. He would deserved banned at WTC. He is not permitted to come at WTC. He cannot go on the property.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 8:16 PM
Come As You Are

^^One of them had worked at the WTC construction for some time, so he probably already knows the site pretty well.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 12:37 AM
New Yorker for life

So I guess we all take turns now trying to sneak in....why wait until 2015?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1734426

Two CNN journalists arrested for trespassing at WTC site: officials
Producer Yon Pomrenze, 35, and cameraman Connor Fieldman Boals, 26, were busted by Port Authority cops after they were caught trying to climb a fence, according to a PA spokesman.

BY Tina Moore
March 25, 2014

Quote:
A CNN cameraman and producer were arrested Tuesday for trying to get past security at the World Trade Center site in the wake of two major security breaches, officials said.

Producer Yon Pomrenze, 35, of Manhattan, and cameraman Connor Fieldman Boals, 26, of Brooklyn, were arrested after trying to get into the site through a gate and by climbing a fence, Port Authority spokesman Steve Coleman said.

The duo first tried to push their way though a partially open gate at Vessey and Washington Sts. around 2 p.m., he said.

They were stopped by a PA police officer who told them they weren’t allowed inside.

“Both then told the officer that, ‘If a 16-year-old can get on the site we should be able to get in as well,’” Coleman said.

They then walked east on Vessey St. to the entrance of the Path Station at W. Broadway, Coleman said. There, they twice tried to climb a fence but were stopped by officers and private security, he said.

“They then tried to push the gate open in front of a security guard and were arrested,” Coleman said.

They were charged with criminal trespass, obstruction of government administration and disorderly conduct, he said.

“This is an incredible waste of police resources,” fumed PA spokesman Joseph Pentangelo.

A CNN spokeswoman said the two were not instructed to sneak onto the site.

The men were in possession of a GoPro camera — the same camera used by the skydivers who jumped dove off the Freedom Tower on Sept. 30.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 12:50 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Well at least they where doing their jobs for once. Always good to have secret shoppers to make sure they aren't sitting in their SUV's texting. Overpaid cops.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 1:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 2:15 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1734426

[b]Two CNN journalists arrested for trespassing at WTC site: officials
BY Tina Moore
March 25, 2014
Didn't CNN get that memo that sneaking into the WTC isn't allowed anymore for like ...a whole week now.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 1:33 AM
New Yorker for life

Oh boy....what next?

http://nypost.com/2014/03/26/half-bl...ng-on-the-job/

Half-blind guard caught sleeping at WTC site

By Philip Messing, Reuven Fenton and Bruce Golding
March 26, 2014

Quote:
An aging, half-blind security guard assigned as the first line of defense inside the Freedom Tower was caught sleeping on the job.

A shocking cellphone photo obtained by The Post shows Abdul Basher, 65, stretched out nearly horizontal in his chair in the skyscraper’s south lobby, where he was the only guard assigned to protect the ground floor of the top US terror target.

Sources said a Port Authority worker spotted Basher catching some z’s around 2:45 a.m. Saturday, almost six days to the hour after a teenage daredevil slipped past another snoozing guard on the 104th floor on his way to the tower’s iconic spire.

Basher, who was fired on the spot, admitted to The Post on Wednesday that he was the absolute wrong person for the job because he suffers from a nerve condition and can’t open his left eye, while the vision in his right is “hazy.”

“Sometimes I cannot recognize people, stairs,” the Queens resident said. “That post was so hard to cover for me. It was very, very stressful. I could barely see half of the lobby.”

...The Port Authority, which owns the site, referred all questions to the Durst Organization, which supplies the guards inside 1 World Trade Center as part of a joint venture with the PA.

But a high-ranking insider at the agency called the incident “troubling” and said Durst execs would be called on the carpet.

Durst spokesman Jordan Barowitz confirmed that Basher “was terminated on the spot after he was found sleeping on the job,” but wouldn’t say if he had to be physically roused from slumber.

Barowitz also refused to specify what measures, if any, would be taken to prevent future security screw-ups.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 3:08 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Security at the site really has to be a little more careful as their image is really being tarnished. Now their in the cross hairs so until this tower is finished they will be carefully monitored by the media. All of these recent stories of mismanagement really isn't good for a security company's image.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 12:16 PM

I take a few issues with all this media hype lately.

First, I'm sorry, but we're going on 13 years since the attacks. I'm sick of hearing the "grieving families" line. How long are they going to milk that? Yes, it was an unprecidented national tragedy. I understand that your lives were torn apart, and love ones were lost. But it's been 13 years... The notion that some urban explorers sneaking into 1 WTC is a bigger issue because of what some "grieving families" might think is nonsense. Hopefully by the time the complex fully opens, we'll have shed this silly worry.

Secondly, and more annoying, is the calling of 1 WTC the "top US terrorist target". OK, I realize that it was the NY Post that wrote that, and they're the kings when it comes to ridiculous sensationalism. But still, it seems like the media feels the need to remind the general public every chance it gets that you should be afraid! Bad people want to kill you! I can easily rattle off a number of equally tantalizing US terrorist targets. When will we be able to shake the fear of what happened and move on as NYers who don't take shit from nobody?

As I said, we're over 1 decade past the attacks, how many more will it take until we get over this shit?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 4:17 PM
Come As You Are

^^Sensationalism makes money and lets powerful people get away with things. Maybe now this will give them the excuse to build that Fort Knox-style security gate.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 8:00 PM

Quote:

First, I'm sorry, but we're going on 13 years since the attacks. I'm sick of hearing the "grieving families" line. How long are they going to milk that? Yes, it was an unprecidented national tragedy. I understand that your lives were torn apart, and love ones were lost. But it's been 13 years... The notion that some urban explorers sneaking into 1 WTC is a bigger issue because of what some "grieving families" might think is nonsense. Hopefully by the time the complex fully opens, we'll have shed this silly worry.

Secondly, and more annoying, is the calling of 1 WTC the "top US terrorist target". OK, I realize that it was the NY Post that wrote that, and they're the kings when it comes to ridiculous sensationalism. But still, it seems like the media feels the need to remind the general public every chance it gets that you should be afraid! Bad people want to kill you! I can easily rattle off a number of equally tantalizing US terrorist targets. When will we be able to shake the fear of what happened and move on as NYers who don't take shit from nobody?

As I said, we're over 1 decade past the attacks, how many more will it take until we get over this shit?
I'm glad that someone else feels the same way. "Top US terrorist target"? What sensationalist hogwash! That may have been true between 2/26/93 and 9/11/01 (since they didn't get the job done the first time), but certainly no longer. Even if the WTC were still a prime terrorist target, what terrorist would be dumb enough to attack the complex before it's finished and fully occupied?

I also sincerely hope that they don't use these incidents to justify fortifying the complex like the Iraqi green zone.

Last edited by Enigmatism415; Mar 28, 2014 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 8:43 PM

If CNN fires those reporters they could always go work for CBS, seeing as they
Couldn't
Bypass
Security

Last edited by YankeesfaninUT; Mar 27, 2014 at 8:44 PM. Reason: Word Placement

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 12:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:

I wonder if that is one of the reasons why tenants aren't flocking to prime Class A office space here. This isn't helping out Silverstein. (Upper floors in 1 and 4 WTC office buildings are empty)

Last edited by Perklol; Mar 28, 2014 at 12:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:

Secondly, and more annoying, is the calling of One WTC the "top US terrorist target". OK, I realize that it was the NY Post that wrote that, and they're the kings when it comes to ridiculous sensationalism. But still, it seems like the media feels the need to remind the general public every chance it gets that you should be afraid! Bad people want to kill you! I can easily rattle off a number of equally tantalizing US terrorist targets. When will we be able to shake the fear of what happened and move on as NYers who don't take shit from nobody?

Excellent post. I agree with you. By constantly bickering about 1 WTC being the top terrorist target will only prove the terrorists really did win that day. We are supposed to be fearless, not give into this terror nonsense. I understand we should be alert but why does it have to be mentioned over and over like a broken record. This why I despise the media. They are nothing but tools. I miss the pre-9/11 days, more peaceful. One WTC will not get attacked, it would be stupid to even try. The Govt has to watch who they let in here and there won't be any problems. Why should we fear this Tower because of their constant screw ups? To hell with that.

I know I'll be visiting One WTC in 2015....

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 12:59 AM

Grieving

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Excellent post. I agree with you. By constantly bickering about 1 WTC being the top terrorist target will only prove the terrorists really did win that day. We are supposed to be fearless, not give into this terror nonsense. I understand we should be alert but why does it have to be mentioned over and over like a broken record. This why I despise the media. They are nothing but tools. I miss the pre-9/11 days, more peaceful. One WTC will not get attacked, it would be stupid to even try. The Govt has to watch who they let in here and there won't be any problems. Why should we fear this Tower because of their constant screw ups? To hell with that.

I know I'll be visiting One WTC in 2015....
I would agree with the notion that the "grieving familes" thing might be being used as an emotional mechinism, BUT, keep in mind, the base jumpers free falling off the top of this building conjurs up images and memories of those families' loved ones plunging to theirs deaths from buildings the exact same hieght on the same spot. It's like the sports jumpers were saying: "you died doing this and we lived and it was fun and cool!" I don't care if it's 100 years, those people falling to their deaths will haunt me the rest of my life. And anyone who didn't think of the comparisson is a thoughtless, souless moron.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 1:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

First, I'm sorry, but we're going on 13 years since the attacks. I'm sick of hearing the "grieving families" line. How long are they going to milk that?
As far as I know, unless the lost family members return, there is no time limit on grief. We all lose loved ones, and eventually learn to live with the loss. But "getting over" it? You never get over it. I didn't lose anyone in the attacks, and yet I still feel a sense of loss over the buildings and the people killed there. Perhaps that is from the amount of time spent there, or maybe not, but it's not something you just get over and forget about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
I'm glad that someone else feels the same way. "Top US terrorist target"? What sensationalist hogwash!
It will always be a top terrorist target, if only for the symbolism. It's a reality we have accepted, it's why the building is so excessively expensive, with extra built in security features and a base sometimes referred to as a bunker. Obviously there are other "targets" around, something could happen anywhere. But it would be foolish to think this building wouldn't be a top target.

Who knows what security lapses would be had in the future were it not for the media shining light on the issue now.

jzaindustries

Janas59

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive