HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 3:04 AM

Bring more highrise construction to Wilmington!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
^^Amen. And there's like 10 surface parking lots in Downtown screaming for high rise development.
----------------------------

Active Projects:

1) Harlan Flats - on the Riverfront, pics are on page 20 of thread, under construction.
2) The parking lot/garage demolished - mentioned above at the 8-9th Orange/Shipley blocks. Which will be - Midtown Park - condo building.. but only about 5-6 stories tall.

For more information, just go the Buccini/Pollin Group website as they are really the only developer in town. They own practically all of downtown and Riverfront - a slight exaggeration - but not really.

http://www.bpgroup.net/property_commercial.htm
------------------------------

Arena:

And finally, the idea of building a mid-sized venue/arena on the Riverfront area (I'm talking somewhere between 5,000-10,000; lets just say 8,000 capacity) has been kicked around since the late 1990s. I grew up there and being a huge hockey fan wanted it badly. The idea was to draw a minor league NHL affiliate there. I was hoping the Flyers! --would've made perfect sense being only 25-30 miles away. But it never happened.

However, with all of the residential and restaurants, the IMAX, and Blue Rocks stadium, and now the Westin Hotel on the Riverfront -- it's certainly more of a possibility today than 10-15 years ago.

But still this is a ...I'll believe it when I see type thing for me.
-----------------------------

And for the Pittsburgh guy who posted - Austinlee - you've seen the I.M. Pei Building in Wilmington - I'm assuming?

[IMG]IMG_0117 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Brutalist! 1971 completed. VP Biden had his Delaware offices when he was a Senator on the top floor for years and years. 282 feet tall.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 8:19 PM

More Market St apartments on the 600 block - under construction:

"Buccini/Pollin plans to start construction on three apartment projects this summer, each of which will take about a year to complete. They are a 46-unit, $7.5 million, four-story building at 627 N. Market St.; a 28-unit, $6 million, five-story building at 606 N. Market St.; and a bundle of three multi-story buildings totaling 77 units at 838 and 839 N. Market St. and 6 E. Third St., that will cost $16 million."

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...gton/10340451/

[IMG]IMG_0004 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0005 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
----------------

Also I learned that this old bank which was vacant - has been gutted, and a law firm will be moving in.

[IMG]IMG_0018 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 9:57 PM

Part of me is hoping BPG have a game-changer skyscraper planned, like they did with the Riverfront towers. Downtown is dying for a new skyscraper, the tallest currently is the FedEx building, right?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
Part of me is hoping BPG have a game-changer skyscraper planned, like they did with the Riverfront towers. Downtown is dying for a new skyscraper, the tallest currently is the FedEx building, right?
Yeah, I agree - but BPG seems extremely focused on 5-7 stories residential projects in Wilmington right now, not so much commercial and high rise residential, but you never know. I hope they are able to rent out all those apts on Market Street, and there's tons of ground floor retail that goes with it that is vacant too. Some businesses down there are doing well though - for instance, the café at 3rd and Market (LOMA Coffee) is always busy whenever I go in there.

1201 North Market Street is the tallest - 330 feet, completed in 1988. I'm not sure who the major tenant is these days - maybe Chase.

[IMG]IMG_0113 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Oct 21, 2014 at 11:32 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 11:35 AM

A few more interesting articles:

"The Wilmington Renaissance Corp., a nonprofit group composed of corporate and civic leaders, will formally unveil its proposal for the 25-block area bounded by Fourth, Ninth, Market and Washington streets at its annual meeting Tuesday at the Queen. That meeting will feature a keynote speech by Jamie Bennett, executive director of ArtPlace America, a collaboration of foundations, government and financial institutions that has invested $42 million in arts revitalization efforts nationwide."

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...trict/8709397/
---------------

""We have to change the way we look at things. We need people with a disposable income," Williams said. "I hate seeing our young people go to Philadelphia, Baltimore or Washington D.C.

"We want the same thing [as those cities], but on a smaller scale."

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...nals/16830741/
--------------------

Office vacancy is too high right now for a big-time commercial high rise, but if the population continues to grow Downtown -- I bet new businesses/corporate offices will follow.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 1:29 PM

Bancroft Mills -- under BP Group control now

Expect more condos/apts in Wilmington - new location though for BP Group (not on the Riverfront or Downtown)

"Delaware's Buccini brothers - partners in Buccini/Pollin Group Inc., the hotel-entertainment-apartment developers whose projects stretch across Wilmington, the Chester waterfront, and the Washington area - have acquired control of the ghost city on the Brandywine that is the former Bancroft Mills property in Wilmington, King of Prussia-based developer Brian O'Neill confirms.

O'Neill's past-due $14.8 million loan on the property went on sale earlier this year. He had hoped to build as many as 1,400 homes there.

The complex, which employed thousands as recently as the 1960s, towers over the swirling creek on beds of "blue rock" granite, and is picturesque and historic but lacks easy road access, neighbors who challenged previous plans have warned.

O'Neill told me he expects Rob and Chris Buccini will succeed in getting city approvals to redevelop the main complex.

"They're my good friends," O'Neill told me. "They're the best at what they do in the state of Delaware, and I couldn't be happier for them." The Buccinis were not immediately available for comment.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...DMfcXztzck3.99

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 4:08 PM

Huge Wilmington University expansion

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...mpus/18266477/

41 acres on Concord Pike (across the street from Concord Mall) will be developed. Thus, one of the very last undeveloped stretches of 202 South - will be no more.

I had no idea Wilmington University (formerly Wilm. College) had anywhere near a total enrollment of 19,000+ ...that's insane.

The expansion makes sense - as the article states - 45% of its students live in the immediate surrounding zip codes (Brandywine Hundred) from this site.

***And is also quite boring ... as others have stated on other forums*** I'm in agreement.

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Nov 13, 2014 at 4:01 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 3:05 PM

New Wilmington Development Plan announced

Will be released to public Nov. 10.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...plan/18564073/

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 5:03 PM

http://www.wdel.com/story.php?id=63940

Officials from New Castle County and Wilmington unveiled economic development strategies on Monday, offering a look at both governments' plans to increase employment and drive commerce.

After losing established industries over the last few decades, County Executive Tom Gordon (D) said existing advantages like the port need to be expanded.

"Build a port there, a modern-day port, connect it to the old port and create somewhere around 30,000 or 40,000 jobs," Gordon said.

The county's plan also involves attracting 12,000 to 30,000 with middle-to-high-income jobs.

County Economic Director Marcus Henry said the county has to market itself effectively because of regional competition from cities like Philadelphia.

"As a small state, there's only so much we can offer. But what we do offer is quality of life, and I think that's enough for a lot of folks to come. So we have to market New Castle County and the State of Delaware," he said.

In the city's economic development plan, Mayor Dennis Williams (D) said he sees an opportunity to retain and attract smaller businesses.

"That's where the jobs are. I don't think you're going to see any more major, major, major corporations like DuPont and General Motors or anything of that nature," he said.

Here's a link to the Strategic Plan for Wilmington -- if interested:

http://www.ci.wilmington.de.us/docs/...ion%20Plan.pdf

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Nov 12, 2014 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 4:08 PM

Nemours Building, 1007 N. Orange Street

http://delawarebusinessdaily.com/201...llion-upgrade/

"The 14-floor, building underwent a $3 million renovation that included a two-part facelift to the building’s ground floor, as well as the rebranding and upgrading of the on-site extended stay furnished apartment community. This marks the first major renovation to the property since it originally went through a $33 million-dollar transformation from a single-tenant to a mixed-used, multi-tenant building in 1999."

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
There's nothing under construction - downtown - currently. However, the Riverfront continues to grow. It's growth since the mid-90's has been very impressive.
If this still supposed to get built?

http://www.l2partridge.com/project/j...fice-building/

Where exactly? The grassy field next to Justison Landing Apartments? Hard for me to tell exactly from the site.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Not sure. I don't think Wilmington is there yet. It needs to walk before it runs. Who will the tenants of the highrise buildings be? Half-vacant buildings won't help the city any.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
If this still supposed to get built?

http://www.l2partridge.com/project/j...fice-building/

Where exactly? The grassy field next to Justison Landing Apartments? Hard for me to tell exactly from the site.
Oh wow! That's new! And yes, that's the current grassy field for lease.

I love the height on the riverfront, it brings the city together, I wish the downtown core could be moved to the riverfront to be honest it looks so much more appealing, but the riverfront will strive into its own district soon enough.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
Oh wow! That's new! And yes, that's the current grassy field for lease.

I love the height on the riverfront, it brings the city together, I wish the downtown core could be moved to the riverfront to be honest it looks so much more appealing, but the riverfront will strive into its own district soon enough.
Yep. Riverfront really needs some retail that makes things convenient for residents. Like a dry cleaners, supermarket/bodega. Things like that. That should be the next focus. I'd hope these prospective office buildings will have some ground floor retail like that. But I'm thinking they probably won't.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 3:04 PM

That is a cool looking new development (if its built) - but it's the corner of West and Justison St, so it's definitely not planned for the big grassy field right on the river.

The Riverfront development corp. tried to have retail in the late 90s/early 00s, in that strip mall built right across from the Blue Rocks stadium. There was an LL Bean store and different clothing outlets, a little this and that. It failed pretty quickly. Which is why that space began to be leased for business/office.

There's the Planet Fitness there still ... I can't remember if there's any thing else.

The shopping center on the other side of the river (behind the Towers), with the Shop Rite and other stores took ....forever to get built. It was like pulling teeth. I don't see a second grocery store moving to the more residential side of the Riverfront until there's a lot more people down there.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
That is a cool looking new development (if its built) - but it's the corner of West and Justison St, so it's definitely not planned for the big grassy field right on the river.

The Riverfront development corp. tried to have retail in the late 90s/early 00s, in that strip mall built right across from the Blue Rocks stadium. There was an LL Bean store and different clothing outlets, a little this and that. It failed pretty quickly. Which is why that space began to be leased for business/office.

There's the Planet Fitness there still ... I can't remember if there's any thing else.

The shopping center on the other side of the river (behind the Towers), with the Shop Rite and other stores took ....forever to get built. It was like pulling teeth. I don't see a second grocery store moving to the more residential side of the Riverfront until there's a lot more people down there.
You're thinking of the field next the condos. There's also a grassy field right next to the Justison Landing apartments. That's the intersection of Justison and West and the one I'm talking about. That's where this is slotted for! I think it's a positive development. The Planet Fitness is a good bit further down Justison.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 5:30 PM

Quote:

Yep that shopping center was Tanger Outlets, so it was premium at the time, and it was when the riverfront was in its prime with Kahunaville (how I miss you so much) and when the blue rocks actually had people in the stadium and nearly sold out. However the recent redevelopment should bring the riverfront back to its prime and there is an active facebook group that is trying to get IKEA into looking at the vacant grassland at the furthest end of the riverfront beyond Chase Center and all of that, although the spot may be ideal because its on the riverfront and right next to 95 which would be excellent import for the store, I think IKEA would be more inclined to look somewhere in the Christiana area with its boom.

However there were also some other ideas (which I thought were great) to bring more urban retail down to the riverfront which is potentially near to happening. The Starbucks move will definitely raise some investment eyebrows and there's lots of vacant retail below Justison Landings still, and I believe the Harlan Flats will have ground retail, at least they appear to have ground retail. I think a CVS or Walgreens on the riverfront may be in our near future and would definitely set the wave for more retail demand. Most likely a CVS though since Walgreens is on Market! Also a convenience store makes perfect sense with all of the residential housing on that side of the riverfront, along with the offices, one stop shop! And to conclude my tangent, I tiny piece of me wants a city target to magically appear, but we won't get one before/if Philly doesn't get one.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 9:27 PM

Old news - but never reported here:

AZ offices (Rollins Building) sold off to Applied Bank, and JP Morgan Chase to take up the vacant southern campus.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...-deal/8031297/

Destruction taking place on part of the campus - from this weekend:

[IMG]Untitled by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Nov 19, 2014 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 2:22 PM

8 story building demolition at 1001 N. Jefferson

http://6abc.com/news/video-demolitio...ilding/401669/

The building sits in between the WSFS building and a parking garage at 11th Street and N. Jefferson.

There's a surface parking lot in front of this building.

According to news reports, the owner hopes to redevelop the parcel.

It's a big lot, very close to the center of town, let's hope something worth talking about is in the works here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations