HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 1:10 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
The borough of Manhattan occupies 87km2. If Calgary has 220km2 of undeveloped land then the city should be able to double in population easily without annexing any more land.

Density is the name of the game.
Yes, density should be the name of the game but let's be honest with ourselves here - most Calgarians still want their own home with a yard. Certainly they do not want to live in the type of density that one would find in Manhattan and I am one of those that still likes my yard/space. Hate me if you wish but by 60x110 lot with multiple mature trees, a nice sized rear yard that can accommodate a double detached garage, vegetable gardens, a fire pit and some storage space for my small fishing boat and cargo trailer suits me fine.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Yes, density should be the name of the game but let's be honest with ourselves here - most Calgarians still want their own home with a yard. Certainly they do not want to live in the type of density that one would find in Manhattan and I am one of those that still likes my yard/space. Hate me if you wish but by 60x110 lot with multiple mature trees, a nice sized rear yard that can accommodate a double detached garage, vegetable gardens, a fire pit and some storage space for my small fishing boat and cargo trailer suits me fine.
Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want. But better not complain about urban sprawl or traffic congestion then.

Yes the region has more than enough for suburban tract after suburban tract. But personally I couldn't live in a suburb...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 1:52 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want. But better not complain about urban sprawl or traffic congestion then.

Yes the region has more than enough for suburban tract after suburban tract. But personally I couldn't live in a suburb...
Urban sprawl, living in a suburb? Not me as my home is about 5km from down town Calgary, hardly suburban. Certainly I don't complain about traffic congestion because that's just a part of living in the city (even though our business is 30km across the city) and besides that, most of what I need is within an easy walk or short drive of our older home (60 years old next summer). All 3 levels of public schooling within walking distance, outdoor swimming pool, skating rink and community center within 3 blocks. Great green space only 3 blocks away, international airport terminal under 12km from our home, Nose Hill a 2km walk away, 1km walk to Confederation Park, 5km to down town - not bad for a 60x110 lot. Why is it that so many assume that to have a decent sized lot with a SFH on it means that you are in a suburban area located some 10+ km from Calgary's down town core?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Urban sprawl, living in a suburb? Not me as my home is about 5km from down town Calgary, hardly suburban. Certainly I don't complain about traffic congestion because that's just a part of living in the city (even though our business is 30km across the city) and besides that, most of what I need is within an easy walk or short drive of our older home (60 years old next summer). All 3 levels of public schooling within walking distance, outdoor swimming pool, skating rink and community center within 3 blocks. Great green space only 3 blocks away, international airport terminal under 12km from our home, Nose Hill a 2km walk away, 1km walk to Confederation Park, 5km to down town - not bad for a 60x110 lot. Why is it that so many assume that to have a decent sized lot with a SFH on it means that you are in a suburban area located some 10+ km from Calgary's down town core?
Well you got lucky from the sounds of it, but not everyone can be in the position. I assume all this came with a fair price tag as well. Not something the average Joe can do.

Friends of mine recently bought a block and built in the new estate located on the former army barrack in Southwest Calgary. Only 5 minutes from downtown in a brand new estate. Not enough room in the backyard to swing a dead cat, but that is their choice. But location comes with a huge price....

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 3:28 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Well you got lucky from the sounds of it, but not everyone can be in the position. I assume all this came with a fair price tag as well. Not something the average Joe can do.

Friends of mine recently bought a block and built in the new estate located on the former army barrack in Southwest Calgary. Only 5 minutes from downtown in a brand new estate. Not enough room in the backyard to swing a dead cat, but that is their choice. But location comes with a huge price....
Been in our home for 18 years, current prices are probably 4-5 times what we paid. Still, deals can still be had in a number of mid-50 to early-60's communities with modest sized bungalows on larger lots - one just needs to look a bit.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 7:10 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I happened to take a look at their planning master plan.
- No narrow lots, lots can't be smaller than 45 ft wide
- However secondary suites allowed across the board it appears
- some areas are zoned for semi-detached, and multifamily.
- max multifamily height is normally 3 story, but can be 4 with bonusing
- they plan to have 3 'downtown's, one east across the lake, and one near the border with Calgary on the transcanada, plus the existing one

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia