HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:40 PM
is watching.

BC - New Liquor Laws

Thought I'd start a new thread... the province has announced more details on the requirement for 'grocery' store liquor sales that will start this spring.

B.C. takes next step in allowing grocery stores to sell liquor

October 10, 2014
http://www.vancouversun.com/takes+ne...#ixzz3FlSXDqiZ

Quote:
B.C. grocers who want to have store-within-a store liquor sales must be a minimum of 100,000 square feet and maintain 75 per cent of their sales in food products, the provincial justice ministry said this morning in a news release.

Justice Minister Susan Anton said in the release: "Today, we are signalling to the industry how our final grocery framework is shaping up, so they have certainty and time to prepare - and so that the option for one-stop shopping can be available to British Columbians this coming spring.”

The release said there would be no minimum set for liquor store-within-a-store space.

NOTE: The other articles covering this news release say it is a minimum of 10,000 sq, ft, NOT 100,000...

Last edited by craneSpotter; Oct 10, 2014 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:44 PM
is watching.

Another recent development was that liquor store licences can now be moved to any other municipality around the province, creating a bit of bull market on selling the ones in the smaller towns...I assume the buyers are Costco et al.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:54 PM

But aren't there already only 2/3 stores in Vancouver proper that qualify on the basis of distance from other liquor stores?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:04 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
But aren't there already only 2/3 stores in Vancouver proper that qualify on the basis of distance from other liquor stores?
Not sure about Vancouver city, there is still the private store 1 km rule... but existing stores can be co-branded and moved inside or beside (with access from inside) existing grocery stores. They have removed 'big-box' and general merchandise stores from the grocery store definition, apparently... which is silly.

From the BC Gov news release:

Quote:
In order to be eligible, grocery stores will need to have approximately 75% of their sales coming from food products and must be a minimum of 10,000 square feet. Grocery stores will have the opportunity to co-brand with liquor stores - regardless of whether the liquor store is physically in the grocery store - and there will be no minimum size requirement for liquor retail stores set up within grocery stores.

The grocery model will not apply to general merchandise stores or "big box" stores, nor to convenience stores, as previously announced.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:44 PM
is watching.

There is also a second part to the law change that covers BC VQA wines:

Quote:
This will be a flexible model that accommodates VQA stores, and a limited number of additional licences will be created to sell VQA wine, which may be sold off the shelf and purchased at designated tills.
Hopefully they add craft beers to this too.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 3:22 AM

These restrictions are ridiculous and overly interventionist, setting up unnatural winners, losers, and protections against competition for entrenched interests (ie. private liquour stores). The 100,000 square foot minimum is particularly irksome as it favours big box store style suburban supermarkets over urban supermarkets with more efficient uses of square footage. 75% food alone wood have been fine. The worst part is that once this goes in, the political will for liquour reform will have been exhausted in the creation of a new regime that's barely an improvement and doesn't go anywhere near far enough.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
These restrictions are ridiculous and overly interventionist, setting up unnatural winners, losers, and protections against competition for entrenched interests (ie. private liquour stores). The 100,000 square foot minimum is particularly irksome as it favours big box store style suburban supermarkets over urban supermarkets with more efficient uses of square footage. 75% food alone wood have been fine. The worst part is that once this goes in, the political will for liquour reform will have been exhausted in the creation of a new regime that's barely an improvement and doesn't go anywhere near far enough.
The rules are silly. However I think it is fair for all concerned to protect the incumbents for a short period of time. The private liquor stores when they made the decision to invests it was under certain rules. I am ok with that being respected by protecting them for 2-3 years before opening things up more broadly.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 6:45 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
The rules are silly. However I think it is fair for all concerned to protect the incumbents for a short period of time. The private liquor stores when they made the decision to invests it was under certain rules. I am ok with that being respected by protecting them for 2-3 years before opening things up more broadly.

I hope you are right re: opening things up in 2-3 yrs. I dislike the nanny state. It should be based on the US model, from states such as California.

Last edited by craneSpotter; Oct 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:43 PM
arf

Why is it so difficult to grasp that all we want to do is make one stop at the local store to pick up a few items for supper and a nice glass of wine to boot? I swear the only interest served by politicians at all levels in Canada is the interests in wasting my time and making me drive when I should be able to walk.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Why is it so difficult to grasp that all we want to do is make one stop at the local store to pick up a few items for supper and a nice glass of wine to boot? I swear the only interest served by politicians at all levels in Canada is the interests in wasting my time and making me drive when I should be able to walk.
Don't/didn't most grocery stores have a liquor store literally next door? How hard is/was it to park in one spot and shop at both?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia