HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 1:17 AM
BANNED

This isn't iffy. This is ready to go. There is very strong demand for these apartments.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 3:45 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Yeah, there's nothing iffy about it. Plans are rapidly coming together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I believe that the 1,000 foot tower statement shortchanges this project!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...FTThirdStories

Macklowe's still involved with the project, and he recently showed off a plan involving a 1,000 foot tower at the site. If all the obstacles are overcome—they still don't own all the property on the site, financing is still an issue, and there are already plenty of hotels opening—we're looking forward to a five-story glass cube with a skyscraper jutting out behind it, according to the plan. The Macklowe train keeps chugging along.
·

That just means it's a 1,000 footer. The Empire State and Freedom Tower are 1,000 ft buildings also. I blissfully await the release of the design.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 3:49 PM
BANNED

I agree. Also, a reliable source at CIM states that it will exceed 1,000 feet. She has been correct so far.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 6:54 PM
BANNED

http://www.observer.com/2011/real-es...ll-be-capstone

Macklowe Speaks! Drake Will Be 'a Capstone'
Email Print More...By Matt Chaban
May 23, 2011 | 11:48 a.m.

Let's dance!
+Enlarge Patrick McMullan It has been arguably the most watched development site in the city for the past few years, and all the moreso now as Harry Macklowe and his new partners at CIM prepare to build something on the former site of the Drake Hotel. Even though both developers eschew press, details have dribbled out here and there, including a set of drawings for Macklowe's plan of three years ago for a 65-story Armani-branded hotel/condo.

Now, for the first time, the taciturn Mr. Macklowe has spoken publically, if still vaguely, about his plans, talking them up at a Massey Knakal-sponsored conference on Friday, according to Bloomberg:

"I'm pleased to tell you we're moving forward on a piece of land that we own free and clear," Macklowe said yesterday. The development, planned for the site at Park and East 56th Street, "will be a capstone. It will be a monumental building and will be as much of an icon as the Apple cube," in front of the General Motors Building, he said.

Humunah humanah humanah!

mchaban [at] observer.com | @mc_nyo

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 7:24 PM

I'm not sure I get it. Is he talking about the tower or just the podium ?

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 9:00 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
http://www.observer.com/2011/real-es...ll-be-capstone

Macklowe Speaks! Drake Will Be 'a Capstone'
Email Print More...By Matt Chaban
May 23, 2011 | 11:48 a.m.

Let's dance!
+Enlarge Patrick McMullan It has been arguably the most watched development site in the city for the past few years, and all the moreso now as Harry Macklowe and his new partners at CIM prepare to build something on the former site of the Drake Hotel. Even though both developers eschew press, details have dribbled out here and there, including a set of drawings for Macklowe's plan of three years ago for a 65-story Armani-branded hotel/condo.

Now, for the first time, the taciturn Mr. Macklowe has spoken publically, if still vaguely, about his plans, talking them up at a Massey Knakal-sponsored conference on Friday, according to Bloomberg:

"I'm pleased to tell you we're moving forward on a piece of land that we own free and clear," Macklowe said yesterday. The development, planned for the site at Park and East 56th Street, "will be a capstone. It will be a monumental building and will be as much of an icon as the Apple cube," in front of the General Motors Building, he said.

Humunah humanah humanah!

mchaban [at] observer.com | @mc_nyo
I like what I'm reading! I hope, "It will be a monumental building and will be as much of an icon as the Apple cube," isn't literal and ends up being a cube.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 9:16 PM
World Machine

While encouraging words, given this guy’s track record as of late I’d take anything he says with a grain of salt.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 9:50 PM

what, the tower will be as monumental as a hollow glass cube thats placed in the middle of a 40 year old plaza?

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Last edited by SkyscrapersOfNewYork; Jun 19, 2011 at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Drake Hotel tops most valuable NYC development sites list

Harry Macklowe's Drake Hotel site at 440 Park Avenue may be the most valuable development site in New York City, according to a recent list compiled by the New York Observer. It is closely followed by David Levinson's 425 Park Avenue and the World Trade Center site, in positions two and three respectively.

The Observer's list, made in honor of a slew of recent development following a slow start to the year, was compiled using data from Cassidy Turley, Co-Star and its own reporting.

Bringing up the rear of the list in positions nine and 10 are Boston Properties and Related project 740 Eighth Avenue and a 100,000-square-foor glass tower at 450 West 14th Street, atop the High Line.

Back in February, construction was slow as financing remained sluggish and office leasing had only slightly begun to pick up. Since then, development has picked up rapidly, the Observer said. CIM and Harry Macklowe have announced plans for the Drake Hotel site, Gary Barnett's International Gem Tower is rising, Boston Properties' West 55th Street development has signed its first major leases and Hudson Yards is on the verge of doing the same.

Macklowe said of the Drake Hotel site, which will feature an Apple-esque glass cube: "[It] will be a capstone. It will be a monumental building." [NYO]
http://s3.amazonaws.com/trd_three/im...articlebox.jpg

http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...elopment-sites

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 5:09 AM

I wouldn't trust anything Macklowe says. The guy makes pond scum look saintly. He looks up to whale shit. Way up. He is a cancer to New York City, and for a happy year or two, it looked as if he had been excised from the development game. The fact that he seems to have metastasized breaks my heart.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2011, 5:35 PM
BANNED

Here's the site on 15 July 2011. It seems that No. 50 is the next to come down.

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/attach...0&d=1310823847
Greenwich Boy at WNY 15 July 2011

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 2:17 AM

Even with that a knowledge that a supertall will rise here,it pains me to see these beauties get demolished....

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 2:57 AM

I know. That building is such a beauty. Hopefully the skyscraper that replaces it will be more beautiful, and it would give back to what was lost.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
BANNED

New Building Permit filed on 27 July 2011. NYC is the co-capital of the world!

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 12:28 AM

I'm surprised that a rendering hasn't appeared yet. I suppose all in good time.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:02 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
I'm surprised that a rendering hasn't appeared yet. I suppose all in good time.
They're keeping it a closely guarded secret, and probably haven't narrowed it down to a final version of what will get built.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 3:27 PM

when was the first photo from the building?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 11:12 AM
New Yorker for life

A new age height race for New York...
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Along 57th, New Signs of Edifice Complex

A rendering of 157 W. 57th St., center, a 90-story condo and hotel project near Carnegie Hall that will sprout 1,004 feet high.
Another planned building down the street could top off at more than 1,000 feet.

By CRAIG KARMIN
August 1, 2011

Quote:
The battle to build New York City's tallest, and possibly priciest, residential building is heating up along Manhattan's 57th Street corridor.

Extell Development Co. has leapt ahead. The New York developer already has built 22 floors of a 90-story condo and hotel project that will sprout 1,004 feet high, near Carnegie Hall.

Four blocks to the east, on Park Avenue, Los Angeles-based real-estate investors CIM Group with developer Harry Macklowe are building a tower that they have said privately has the rights to top off at more than 1,000 feet. While they haven't revealed their final plans, people in the New York real estate community expect they will build close to that height.

Meantime, Houston-based developer Hines is trying to revive the stalled MoMA tower project on West 53rd street that has been approved to build up to 1,050 feet.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 12:38 PM
BANNED

The 2 August 2011 edition of the NY Post reports that CIM has acquired the T&A site at 42 E 57th St in preparation for the 1,000+ foot tower!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 12:51 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Yes, and all this talk of thousand foot rivals has me very excited to see what happens next...

NY Post

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...6OIllpiefjPX2O

Showdown on East 57th St.

Steve Cuozzo
August 2, 2011

Quote:
While CIM hopes to build a 1,000-foot-tall tower, at least one piece of the puzzle continues to elude it: the retail townhouse owned by Jacob & Co. The jeweler owns the building, and a source said Jacob and CIM are "at least $20 million apart."

In recent days, CIM nailed down an agreement for Buccellati to give up its lease at 46 E. 57th. CIM owns that building as well as vacant nos. 38, 40, 44, and 50 E. 57th St. Buccellati's exit is said to have been negotiated by Prudential Douglas Elliman's Faith Hope Consolo, who uncharacteristically didn't return a call.

CIM also finalized a long-expected agreement for Turnbull & Asser, which owns 42 E. 57th St., to swap it for 50 E. 57th St. CIM needs to demolish nos. 38-48 to create a new façade with 150 feet of sidewalk frontage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive