HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 3:34 AM

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 6:00 PM

22nd Street & Kino Parkway: 05-01-14

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 7:28 AM

ComplotD, thanks for posting that photo. Never thought I'd see that type of construction in the middle of Tucson.

I wished another one on Grant-Kolb. It's been debated before but I really think Tucson needs one along with light rail, bike paths and high speed rail between Tucson-Phx-Vegas-LA-San Diego.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:52 PM

The problems the hotel is running into just reminds me of so many other Tucson developments that were road blocked by a neighborhood's sentimentality towards the way things were. I don't see Tucsonan's lining up to take tours of these "historic homes". While I agree that parts of historic downtown Tucson should be preserved we cannot continue to make development such a pain in the A for private developers that eventually they just say forget it. Lets be honest that area west of the University but east of Euclid is not a historic neighborhood anymore it is such a mix of old and new at this point and is continuing to change so why are we giving this hotel, a private investment into our city, so much trouble. The only debate needs to be about the ugly design of the thing lol

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
I agree. Variety is what the old pueblo needs.

I like to add, the Bridges added more roads, the small retail constructions are done and trees by the sidewalk are growing nicely. Can't wait for the rest of it.

I had a feeling Tucson will have something like this...the current El Rio golf course would be a nice spot for this.
I would love to see Tucson with a large urban garden style park (no sports fields or anything) and a signature structure that is architecturally unique and compliments the skyline and will make people remember Tucson. That picture just reminded me how important those things are to Cities.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsuofa View Post
I would love to see Tucson with a large urban garden style park (no sports fields or anything) and a signature structure that is architecturally unique and compliments the skyline and will make people remember Tucson. That picture just reminded me how important those things are to Cities.
I admire your common sense. Cost to build the Eiffel Tower in today's dollars - $34 million in 2007 $$$ .

Funds could be paid by telecommunications companies (just like the Tokyo tower), admissions to enter tower, restaurant space, taxes and fees from surrounding buildings around it, etc... The taller the tower, the better. That should draw more taller structures (attraction to build a non-local commercial grade 3+ star hotel) around it. It should also draw world wide attention.

The morons against Grand Canyon University want to turn El Rio Golf into a park. Let's have a park with an Eiffel Tower (something like that).

Tucson's 'A' mountain isn't a tourist draw. I'm sorry but it's not an attractive 'mountain'. The barrios and historic neighborhoods won't and hasn't attract enough tourist (as claimed by the moronic neighborhood associations. if that were the case there would be more tourist in those neighborhoods 24/7...one of the things these idiots are against). Artificial lake? Good luck with that in this desert.

Despite all the constructions we see around downtown and the U of A, Tucson still hasn't moved forward economically compared to other cities. Tucson needs to speed up urbanizing central Tucson and attract the young entrepreneurs from San Francisco/Silicon Valley and NYC to come here.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
I admire your common sense. Cost to build the Eiffel Tower in today's dollars - $34 million in 2007 $$$ .

Funds could be paid by telecommunications companies (just like the Tokyo tower), admissions to enter tower, restaurant space, taxes and fees from surrounding buildings around it, etc... The taller the tower, the better. That should draw more taller structures (attraction to build a non-local commercial grade 3+ star hotel) around it. It should also draw world wide attention.

The morons against Grand Canyon University want to turn El Rio Golf into a park. Let's have a park with an Eiffel Tower (something like that).

Tucson's 'A' mountain isn't a tourist draw. I'm sorry but it's not an attractive 'mountain'. The barrios and historic neighborhoods won't and hasn't attract enough tourist (as claimed by the moronic neighborhood associations. if that were the case there would be more tourist in those neighborhoods 24/7...one of the things these idiots are against). Artificial lake? Good luck with that in this desert.

Despite all the constructions we see around downtown and the U of A, Tucson still hasn't moved forward economically compared to other cities. Tucson needs to speed up urbanizing central Tucson and attract the young entrepreneurs from San Francisco/Silicon Valley and NYC to come here.
Well put.
I always thought Sentinel Peak and Tuahomoc hill and the large amount of land surrounding them would make a great location for a Portland style, Downtown Adjacent garden/natural park. We recently found out how difficult it would be to do anything to El Rio Golf course and that location (sent/tuahmoc) would be perfect to compliment residential developments on the west part of I-10 ("Mission District") and might even raise property value and allow for re development of oh so historic, poverty ridden, gang and crime infested Menlo Park.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 8:23 AM

All Tucson needs to do is attract Elon Musk. Afterwards our problems will start to solve themselves.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
All Tucson needs to do is attract Elon Musk. Afterwards our problems will start to solve themselves.

According to this source :

Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla Motors Inc., is set to name two sites for the company's Giga factory

"What we're going to do is move forward with more than one state, at least two, all the way to breaking ground, just in case there are last-minute issues," Musk said

Maybe, Tucson has a chance. It's been awhile since Tucson has a large manufacturing plant...Raytheon or formerly Hughes was the last and only one since the 50's (?). From my understanding , Howard Hughes picked Tucson because it helps him with his asthma.

This will be game changer, definitely. I hope the other half of Tesla gigafactory moves within Tucson proper.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 10:15 PM

From AZATHLETICS: McKale Center Renovation.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 10:28 PM

RE: GIGAFACTORY

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk said Wednesday evening he hopes to break ground on the company's first Gigafactory as early as next month, but that the company is still deciding where to do so.

In the firm's Q1 earnings call, Musk also added California is now back in the mix of potential sites for the battery factory, but added it may be too late. Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas are all said to be in the running.
- See more at: http://trendingnewsroom.com/readfeed....q8MOH6F0.dpuf

This guy sure knows how to play the games! Now California is back in?!

At least according to him we wont have much longer to wait to find out....

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
RE: GIGAFACTORY

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk said Wednesday evening he hopes to break ground on the company's first Gigafactory as early as next month, but that the company is still deciding where to do so.

In the firm's Q1 earnings call, Musk also added California is now back in the mix of potential sites for the battery factory, but added it may be too late. Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas are all said to be in the running.
- See more at: http://trendingnewsroom.com/readfeed....q8MOH6F0.dpuf

This guy sure knows how to play the games! Now California is back in?!

At least according to him we wont have much longer to wait to find out....
Another article, http://www.rgj.com/story/money/busin...ctory/8800991/ .

I've read that New Mexico was the front runner for the Tesla car manufacturing plant back in 2007 until a last minute change to Fremont, CA. You're right , Elon is playing chess

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 4:06 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

The webcam for the McKale Reno is up on the PDC website.

McKale Webcam

Seats are already torn out. They aren't messing around.

Old Posted May 11, 2014, 9:23 PM

I got a bit of a hint of good news starting at about the 20 min 55 sec of this video at AZ Illustrated . The hint coming from Steve K's mouth regarding a proposal of high end housing and retail mixed used at Campbell and Speedway - sounds like another 'high rise' (or hopefully more) in the making.

There's also talk about the future of the strip of Broadway Rd between downtown and Country Club such that if the COT opt for four lanes, this project would likely be killed because RTA and Pima County would pull funding for that project should it stick with the four lane plan - I hope City Of Tucson doesn't screw this up.

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 3:13 AM

I wonder if the university is offering up the NW corner. You could build bigger and taller on that corner (more land, no neighbors) and it is a better spot for students (underpass & trolley).

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
I wonder if the university is offering up the NW corner. You could build bigger and taller on that corner (more land, no neighbors) and it is a better spot for students (underpass & trolley).
Tried searching the neighborhood association pages for Jefferson Park, Blenman-Elm, and Sam Hughes and couldn't find anything. In any case, the developer who worked with Whole Foods on both of their new stores talked awhile ago about redeveloping the Palm Shadows site. I'm sure that's what was being referenced.

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 5:09 AM

Upon further review, I bet it was the North University Neighborhood Association. Of course, they have no web presence.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 6:26 PM

Some of you may have noticed it already, and thought about taking some quick pics on my way to work.

Some construction going on at El Con Mall

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 6:41 PM

The building next to Claim Jumper is going to be a Mattress Firm. The lot across from Starbuck's is evidently this: http://www.cheddars.com/

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
The building next to Claim Jumper is going to be a Mattress Firm. The lot across from Starbuck's is evidently this: http://www.cheddars.com/
Claim jumper is rarely busy, I wonder how it will do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest