HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 8:07 PM

Observations on very recent immigration trends for your City

I am talking about over the past several years.

For New York, it seems mostly Venezuelans.

I am from LA but it is hard to get a good assessment of recent immigration trends, other than the 2020 census data.

For the 2010s new immigrants to LA were mostly Central American and Chinese but much less Mexican. In another thread, someone said a lot of new immigrants to LA were Ukrainians, Russians, and Brazilians.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 12:13 PM

Dayton has been primarily getting Turks, especially Ukrainian Turks because of the war. There's also been a noticeable bump in non-Mexican Hispanics moving into some of the rougher, formerly-primarily-white neighborhoods on the east side of town. A decent number of Bolivians and Salvadorans, as well as Colombians.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 2:53 PM

The South Asian population seems much higher today in NYC compared with 20 years ago, particularly the Bangladeshi immigrants.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 3:25 PM

It's hard to find good numbers on the South Asian population in the US, since the Census Bureau lumps East Asians and South Asians under the Asian banner and detailed breakdowns are available mostly for the big six nationalities.

But I'm guessing South Asians are about 400,000-500,000 in NYC, and Queens is about 10% South Asian I believe.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 4:08 AM

I feel like Portland's Asian population is growing substantially, especially our Chinese and Vietnamese populations. Bay Area relocations might be contributing to this too. Genentech moved 300 of their South Bay employees up here right before the pandemic. They're the second biggest tenant in our building now. Easily 2/3 of their employees are Asian. Portland is almost 9% Asian now.

Last edited by pdxtex; Jun 6, 2023 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDipper 80 View Post
Dayton has been primarily getting Turks, especially Ukrainian Turks because of the war. There's also been a noticeable bump in non-Mexican Hispanics moving into some of the rougher, formerly-primarily-white neighborhoods on the east side of town. A decent number of Bolivians and Salvadorans, as well as Colombians.

Ukranian turks, that was a new one to me. And in Dayton of all places

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post

Crimean Tatars?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
I feel like Portland's Asian population is growing substantially, especially our Chinese and Vietnamese populations. Bay Area relocations might be contributing to this too. Genentech moved 300 of their South Bay employees up here right before the pandemic. They're the second biggest tenant in our building now. Easily 2/3 of their employees are Asian. Portland is almost 9% Asian now.

Do you think the tech exodus could shift the Bay Area's Asian immigrant population to other cities?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
Do you think the tech exodus could shift the Bay Area's Asian immigrant population to other cities?
Yes definitely. Im seeing that first hand. Portland commercial rent is 1/3 the price of the bay area. Companies from California are definitely expanding up here. If Oregon gets serious about trying to pursue chip manufacturing than that will help too. Ill be curious what the fallout from the property insurance news is too. Have you heard about that? Statefarm and All-State have stopped writing new policies for new construction in California. Thats interesting.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:10 PM

There's really no evidence of a Bay Area tech exodus. It's basically entirely hype.

There's plenty of evidence of expanding tech employment nationwide, but no evidence it's at the Bay Area's expense.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:20 PM

anecdotally of course from my end, but been seeing alot of Venezuelans from the groups being bused up to Chicago from texas. Have already seen a few that seem to have gotten settled in permanent housing . Have also been seeing alot more South Asian people on certain parts of the southside of Chicago, where there was previously none. Also seeing more Mexicans moving deeper into traditionally Black areas of southside Chicago beyond the border areas.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:22 PM

In Pittsburgh, I'm finally noticing more Latinos. Unsurprisingly they seem to be Central Americans, not Mexicans. I see them all over the city, really; I don't know where they're living in high concentrations.

One of the big surprises of the 2020 Census was a lot of Asian growth in the Greater West End of Pittsburgh, mostly focused on the neighborhoods of Westwood and Oakwood around this dated apartment complex. I've been trying to research this online to figure out who they are, but I've had no real luck. It's possible that this is a secondary migration of the Bhutanese refugees, who originally settled in the southern neighborhood of Carrick and have since suburbanized a bit, but I've found no confirmation other than a South Asian grocery relatively nearby.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post
They're a subset of Turkic people called Ahiska/Meskhetian Turks, originally from near Georgia but they were displaced throughout the Soviet Union and are currently semi-stateless. Russians have been targeting and deporting them out of Ukraine since the mid-2010s, and with the current war more of them have been fleeing to the US. Not sure how the pipeline to Dayton started, but we're very grateful to have them (and their incredible Turkish/Soviet/Central Asian cuisine)!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDipper 80 View Post
They're a subset of Turkic people called Ahiska/Meskhetian Turks, originally from near Georgia but they were displaced throughout the Soviet Union and are currently semi-stateless. Russians have been targeting and deporting them out of Ukraine since the mid-2010s, and with the current war more of them have been fleeing to the US. Not sure how the pipeline to Dayton started, but we're very grateful to have them (and their incredible Turkish/Soviet/Central Asian cuisine)!
There's also the Gaguz, who are a group of Christian Turks from the area. Most are in Moldova, but Ukraine has around 30,000.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
I am talking about over the past several years.

Half of Arizona is now from California

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 8:18 PM

Sure Jan.

Maybe 25 percent of Nevada is from California. MAYBE.

I'd guess it's 15 for Arizona. I bet it's still far more mid western people in Arizona.

There is defintely a uptick of Russians/Europeans moving into hispanic areas in the SFV. Like Van Nuys and stuff.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Yes definitely. Im seeing that first hand. Portland commercial rent is 1/3 the price of the bay area. Companies from California are definitely expanding up here. If Oregon gets serious about trying to pursue chip manufacturing than that will help too. Ill be curious what the fallout from the property insurance news is too. Have you heard about that? Statefarm and All-State have stopped writing new policies for new construction in California. Thats interesting.
They also stopped writing them for Florida.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
They also stopped writing them for Florida.

It seems a little drastic to me. I mean out of the millions of California households, how many are really at risk for wildfires? Thats why we have GIS. Run a buffer of a few miles from a forest. All homes near trees, rates go up. All houses far from trees, better rate.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 8:56 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
It seems a little drastic to me. I mean out of the millions of California households, how many are really at risk for wildfires? Thats why we have GIS. Run a buffer of a few miles from a forest. All homes near trees, rates go up. All houses far from trees, better rate.
I live in a red zone, but not entirely sure about the population. Of all the huge fires they have mostly been caused by PG&E and are in rural areas. I think it's more about the cost, like for Paradise (also was the fault of PG&E). CA's population loss was/is somewhere in the 300k range...which out of a state with almost 40 million people is peanuts.

Source
As far as the thread goes, like myself, there are people from the Bay Area moving up here due to the affordability.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 2:23 AM

This has been going on for a long time, but the Asian-ness of the bay area shows no sign of slowing down. It’s now the largest group in the bay area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions