HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 10:48 PM

I see Carleton Place has recently been granted Census Agglomeration status (urbanized areas of 10,000-100,000).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i do envision the day that texas moves left of anything in the midwest but that means that the global-capitalist engine gets back on track like it was.

i hope it does.
In terms of Great Lakes states, Texas is already left of Indiana. It also may be trending close to Ohio. But those are the most conservative states of the Great Lakes region.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Every (non-minority) rural area in the world tends to cite more right wing than urban centers do . But for some reason this only gets discussed as naeseum for the USA

If the woke cultural revolution continues and after trump is kicked out of office, leading to a reset of the Republican brand , I expect many more places to vote right wing

Back to the topic
Trumpism is here to stay. No way can that genie get forced back into the bottle.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 12:18 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
In terms of Great Lakes states, Texas is already left of Indiana. It also may be trending close to Ohio. But those are the most conservative states of the Great Lakes region.
I think Ohio's going to start becoming redder and redder outside of the Columbus metro and a handful of cities (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton?). It's probably not the bellwether it used to be, and at some point (if current population trends continue), Texas will end up being more purple than Ohio.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I think Ohio's going to start becoming redder and redder outside of the Columbus metro and a handful of cities (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton?). It's probably not the bellwether it used to be, and at some point (if current population trends continue), Texas will end up being more purple than Ohio.
That may be true. Ohio was the only Great Lakes state that elected a new Republican governor after 2016. But even still, Ohio's most recent Republican governors both seem to fit the mold of northern state Republicans: center-right fiscal conservatives. Nothing like the nutjobs down South.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 12:44 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Same with Mitch Daniels, he was a great republican governor

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Texas might be bluer than Ohio right now, at least re. national politics. In any case, Texas is much younger and undergoing much faster demographic change than Ohio, so is almost guaranteed to be bluer than Ohio in the near future. And probably bluer than Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and perhaps even Minnesota in the not-distant future, at least assuming the Republican "brand" of 2020 is the "brand" of 2030.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:03 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ as someone who has been all over texas quite a bit, thats a very austin perception.

Quote:
That may be true. Ohio was the only Great Lakes state that elected a new Republican governor after 2016. But even still, Ohio's most recent Republican governors both seem to fit the mold of northern state Republicans: center-right fiscal conservatives. Nothing like the nutjobs down South.
ohio flows with the state of the economy. but if the suburban moderates and the once solidly dem labor core are falling further away, then thats just the way it is in this country. as always, ohio remains as good an amalgamation of the political zeitgeist as any one state could be. its still so goes ohio, so goes the presidency.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:07 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Kasich was pretty far to the right (he tried to bust up unions and was open/sympathetic to Tea Party ideas) and let's not forget that John Boehner was Speaker of the House. Compared to Trump, Kasich looks like a moderate. You want real, legit Rockefeller Republicans, look at Massachusetts and the rest of New England.

DeWine's from (or worked in?) Cincinnati, which has its own special breed of right wing jackassery compared to the rest of Ohio (despite Hamilton County being relatively blue since at least/about 2008).

And then there's the ongoing saga of (former?) Ohio Speaker of the House Larry Householder.

I really shouldn't be throwing stones, since my adopted home state of Arizona is a glass house full of its own goofball political fuckery.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:09 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ at least dewine is to the left of hitler. as long as its not about a woman’s body.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:11 AM
E pluribus unum

Oh right, the heartbeat bill.

I'll give him this: He looked to be on pretty solid footing in handling the pandemic for a while. What the hell was going on that caused Dr. Acton to leave!?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:33 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ what do you think? the its just the flu crew got to him.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:47 AM
E pluribus unum

Assholes.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:16 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ as someone who has been all over texas quite a bit, thats a very austin perception.

I've lived in Texas for over twenty years and not in Austin, he's pretty accurate in his assertion. Texas is rapidly changing demographically and is becoming more educated. Contrast to where I grew up in upstate NY which is economically and culturally stagnant.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 11:54 AM

DeWine is from Greene County, which is still solidly Republican (aside from Yellow Springs), but he is definitely more of a "Dayton Republican" like Mike Turner than the nutjobs that Hamilton and Butler counties pump out. Down there, even the Democrats are Republicans.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:16 PM

Hmm some great stuff in this thread--I'm currently planning a road trip from Chicago to Acadia National Park in mid-October and I'm getting some great ideas for pit stops here. I haven't traveled much in the Northeast, can anyone with familiarity in the region recommend some must see little towns?

Outbound Route: Chicago-Pittsburgh-West Point-Providence-Bangor

Inbound Route: Bangor-Burlington-Syracuse-Cleveland-Chicago

We're taking a pretty meandering route and want to enjoy a leisurely drive with some good sights.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Hmm some great stuff in this thread--I'm currently planning a road trip from Chicago to Acadia National Park in mid-October and I'm getting some great ideas for pit stops here. I haven't traveled much in the Northeast, can anyone with familiarity in the region recommend some must see little towns?

Outbound Route: Chicago-Pittsburgh-West Point-Providence-Bangor

Inbound Route: Bangor-Burlington-Syracuse-Cleveland-Chicago

We're taking a pretty meandering route and want to enjoy a leisurely drive with some good sights.
If you stop at West Point I recommend an afternoon at Storm King. You may need to book now though. I just checked the website and it's already booked for the rest of September.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:35 PM

If you're going to do Syracuse, I'd also do Rochester and Buffalo. They're on the way to Cleveland anyway.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:44 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDipper 80 View Post
If you're going to do Syracuse, I'd also do Rochester and Buffalo. They're on the way to Cleveland anyway.
And Albany.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDipper 80 View Post
^^^ I agree; Buffalo in particular has some really nice neighborhoods and good urban bones in general. The streets and parks were designed by Olmsted (NYC central park and Boston's emerald necklace). Some Frank Lloyd Wright houses as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions