HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 8:51 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Their online registration system is accepting reservations beginning the week of SXSW. The rate for SXSW is around $1,000 per night.

I could think of a whole lot of other things that I could do with 1,000 dollars a night worth of money than to pay for a hotel room lol.

It's a given that whoever wants to stay there for SXSW (if the hotel is able to open by then mind you) will be the kind that considers 1K to be chump change.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post

I could think of a whole lot of other things that I could do with 1,000 dollars a night worth of money than to pay for a hotel room lol.

It's a given that whoever wants to stay there for SXSW (if the hotel is able to open by then mind you) will be the kind that considers 1K to be chump change.
Based on their history, there's a good chance the hotel won't be ready, and they'll have to cancel the reservations again. But during SXSW there will be no place for those folks to go to. This could be a mess.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Their online registration system is accepting reservations beginning the week of SXSW. The rate for SXSW is around $1,000 per night.
Actually, Fairmont's online registration system is accepting Austin bookings for arrival as of February 1st, 2018. SXSW will commence on March 9th.

Quote:
Based on their history, there's a good chance the hotel won't be ready, and they'll have to cancel the reservations again. But during SXSW there will be no place for those folks to go to. This could be a mess.
...but I second your suggestion here, and fully expect that date for honored bookings to get pushed back further and further into 2018. Seems like it's been one mess after another, and would love to know the inside scoop.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 10:16 PM

They must be spending this weekend trying to figure out when they will open. When I checked February 1 yesterday there wasn't anything available for that date. I would definitely not be booking a staycation at this place until they actually do open.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 5:58 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
They must be spending this weekend trying to figure out when they will open. When I checked February 1 yesterday there wasn't anything available for that date. I would definitely not be booking a staycation at this place until they actually do open.
...and even then, you might consider waiting a couple months so a lot of the kinks are worked out.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 3:46 PM

I'll have to ask around when everyone's back to work on Monday. If the leak story's true, that's just a tragedy for them. And honestly, now for the city. Of course individual reservations have been affected since at least August, after the first delay, but they've also been relocating in-house groups now for several months. We're coming into a cycle where conventions that rely on their larger blocks of rooms will need to look into relocations and in the worst cases, cancellation. That means other co-dependent hotels will start to take hits, too. Not good news.

And I'd definitely call that pricing strategy for SXSW a tag aggressive. W Austin and Van Zandt are unavailable, and Four Seasons is selling at $1,300+. Driskill and Intercon are both selling at $700s+, but Fairmont (ideally) has a ton of rooms to sell. $1000's def the higher end.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 4:55 PM
Meh

I got a photo of the sign lit up yesterday.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 10:21 PM

Those are also nice shots of the demo/excavation for the Music Lane project. But that Santa and horse get in the way.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 2:17 AM
Meh

Oh yeah, I happened to look in there as I was riding by earlier in the day. The hole is getting big.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 6:41 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Those are also nice shots of the demo/excavation for the Music Lane project. But that Santa and horse get in the way.
Lol, love your comment..

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 4:34 PM

I must admit, the sign all lit up looks pretty good.....They STILL need to buy 2 more spot lights and finish the spire.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 9:18 PM

The Statesman has a story about the delay. Fairmont officials only gave a general statement about the latest delay. From the article:

Quote:
The Fairmont Austin team is in the final stages of preparation for the much-anticipated opening, with an emphasis on recruiting, new colleague orientation, systems and service standards training,” the statement said. “We are actively working to complete the series of final inspections, permits and brand requirements necessary before we can welcome our first guest. We look forward to delivering the finest luxury hotel to the Austin market early in the New Year and remain steadfast in our dedication to this objective
http://www.statesman.com/business/op...5J0jrzz5rVtfN/

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 4:26 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I must admit, the sign all lit up looks pretty good.....They STILL need to buy 2 more spot lights and finish the spire.
It's really bright. I can see it from 4 miles away around my neighborhood. And I noticed a "seasonal" view of it recently from my neighborhood now that the trees are dropping their leaves.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 7:52 PM

Last edited by We vs us; Dec 9, 2017 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Belatedly confirming the leak rumors, at least according to the hospitality grapevine. Supposedly quite a lot of damage (one of my executive leaders estimated damages as "several million dollars worth").

I had a chance to speak with one of my clients who scored a hard hat tour this week, and her quote was "wow, they're a looooong way from opening."

I'm now wondering if they'll be ready for SXSW -- which is really only just 4 months away.
Good info. Man, this project has been jinxed from the start going back to the multiple value engineerings and the trouble it had getting started.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 12:23 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Good info. Man, this project has been jinxed from the start going back to the multiple value engineerings and the trouble it had getting started.
I was thinking the same thing. They can't catch a break! It's a sure sign that they should have stuck to the original design and height...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 11:43 PM

A cool shot I got at around sunset today

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 2:53 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Beautiful, but from that angle the building once again reminds me of an oldschool walkie talkie.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 3:01 AM
World Traveler

Yes, but that walkie talkie is going to get some awesome reflections of the sky on some days around sunrise and sunset. The purple lights on top make it seem like a southwestern theme with the orange and blue colors of the sky... Great shot!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 5:11 PM
on the south side

Just catching up and surprised to see what appears to be a significant delay this project. Did a little digging and came across this.

Giant leak kills Manchester's grand-opening plans, by Matt Potter, https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...opening-plans/, @SDReader

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin