HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:02 PM

UCLA Study: People Don’t Use Their Backyards

This is an interesting study on backyard use.

My daily bus commute takes me past a ton of backyards, and I often notice how 95% of them don't look like they are ever used. So I think there might be some truth to this. My family never uses our yard, and neither do most of my neighbors.

Enjoy.

http://www.transitmiami.com/uncatego...heir-backyards

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

our 6 flat has a small backyard (it's really more of a patio with a tiny little token patch of grass in the corner) between the building and the garage that is shared by all residents. in the warmer months it's a great social space for all of the neighbors in the buildings to congregate and grill and eat and drink together. this arrangement really only works out well if you have cool neighbors and we're fortunate that we genuinely like the other families who live in our building.

i grew up in a bungalow in a pre-war burb with a decent backyard and a large deck. during the warmer months my family ate dinner out on the deck nearly every night unless it was raining. we also had cool neighbors on our block and 5 houses in a row all agreed to rip down their backyard fences so us kids had almost a small mini park in the back to run around and play in while the adults would gather at one deck or another for cocktails and socializing.

i don't know why anyone wouldn't want to be outside when the weather allows. having outdoor living space to grill and relax and enjoy some fresh air is of absolutely paramount importance to me. even when i lived in a highrise downtown, i specifically lived in marina city so that i could have a huge giant balcony.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 3, 2015 at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:35 PM
The City

^ I have the typical large suburban backyard that I'm sure most forumers here would hate. I have a large deck, BBQ grill, etc.

But even in the warmer months it is only used intermittently. The kids run around, I and sometimes visitors relax with some beverages while swatting mosquitos off of our arms.

Late at night I may enjoy a drink on the deck while staring at the stars.

While this sounds all quaint and nice, in totality it is used only 5% of the time. Is this worth the land I'm wasting? One can definitely argue NO.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:37 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
our 6 flat has a small backyard (it's really more of a patio with a tiny little patch of grass in the corner) between the building and the garage that is shared by all residents. in the warmer months it's a great social space for all of the neighbors in the buildings to congregate and grill and eat and drink together.

i grew up in a bungalow in the burbs with a decent backyard and a large deck. during the warmer months my family ate dinner out on the deck nearly every night unless it was raining. we also had cool neighbors on our block and 5 houses in a row all agreed to rip down their backyard fences so us kids had almost a small mini park in the back to run around and play in.

i don't know why anyone wouldn't want to be outside when the weather allows.
it's a strange paradox. people always seem to have empty, blank, souless looking backyards in newer subdivisions built in the 90s/00s with massive backyards. people in pre-war suburbs and the city seem to inhabit outdoor space more. when was the last time you saw someone sitting on a front porch in a neighborhood like this? http://goo.gl/maps/hgakm

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I have the typical large suburban backyard that I'm sure most forumers here would hate. I have a large deck, BBQ grill, etc.

But even in the warmer months it is only used intermittently. The kids run around, I and sometimes visitors relax with some beverages while swatting mosquitos off of our arms.

Late at night I may enjoy a drink on the deck while staring at the stars.

While this sounds all quaint and nice, in totality it is used only 5% of the time. Is this worth the land I'm wasting? One can definitely argue NO.
insects in the suburbs are - anecdotally - worse, i think.

people in urban neighborhoods like to get out a bit, walk around on the sidewalk and chat with neighbors with a drink in hand in the summer. hang out. inner pre-war suburbs are very good at this, too. newer suburbs look like vacuum-sealed hell to me. i'm just thankful that i live in a region with urbanish suburban options IF I HAD TO.

Last edited by Centropolis; Apr 3, 2015 at 3:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:49 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I am on my second home I have owned now both with small backyards. They tend to be a lot of work for little use. I may buy a condo next. It seems like it might be freeing.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:11 PM

Which is why i fill my back yard with trees, flowers, birds and butterflies. Even if I'm not actively "using" it, I get a mental boost just by seeing out of my window.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:41 PM

People who have dogs normally use their back yards quite a bit. I do.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 5:50 PM

Just because you aren't actively "using" a backyard doesn't mean it doesn't have some tangible benefits.

My parents have a backyard facing a pond and woods. No, they aren't frolicking in the backyard, but the scenery adds to their quality of life, IMO. And in summers they're out on the patio most nights, which would be a lot less pleasant if there were no surrounding backyard.

And, yeah, if you have pets, especially dogs, backyards are heavily used.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 5:52 PM

Quote:
I grew up in a bungalow in a pre-war burb with a decent backyard and a large deck. during the warmer months my family ate dinner out on the deck nearly every night unless it was raining. we also had cool neighbors on our block and 5 houses in a row all agreed to rip down their backyard fences so us kids had almost a small mini park in the back to run around and play in while the adults would gather at one deck or another for cocktails and socializing.
I remember as a kid people using their yards more. I know people still have BBQ parties and stuff. But it does seem like it happens less and people are not out in the yards as much.

As someone else commented, I do notice in the newer suburbs, people don't tend to have a ton of backyard stuff, and they take terrible care of their front laws as well.
It is weird. But it is like people just don't care anymore. A lot less trees as well.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
And in summers they're out on the patio most nights, which would be a lot less pleasant if there were no surrounding backyard.
are you playing devils advocate, here?

i'm going to speak my opinion, and not present it as fact. i prefer a more closed-in garden spot - a world of, leaves, vines and brick. i contrast this to the large expanses of chemical doused grass bullshit that i grew up in.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 6:07 PM

I'll echo the comments from others on backyard use for a variety of different things.

I've always though that it was front yards that were almost a total waste of space, at least the giant variety found in most suburbs. Growing up, we had a typical 1/4 acre suburban lot, of which half was front yard. The front yard was basically just used for mowing, and occasionally we'd play in it. All of the fun stuff was in the backyards or at the park down the street, though.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
are you playing devils advocate, here?

i'm going to speak my opinion, and not present it as fact. i prefer a more closed-in garden spot - a world of, leaves, vines and brick. i contrast this to the large expanses of chemical doused grass bullshit that i grew up in.
They actually have that. Their patio is surrounded by conifers, but still has views of a pond. I think it's pretty nice, if you're into that sort of thing.

In wetter parts of the country, if you want privacy, you basically need a yard. You can't have space between homes without some extensive lawn. That paving over the front yard for parking and backyard for a pool you see in Southern CA would not be practical or even legal in places like Michigan. Obviously desert-scaping isn't going to work either.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 6:15 PM

speaking as a midwesterner, the last thing i like to see is an open sea of grass. now, put a home in the forest without a yard, then not so bad. i just really *really* hate the asthetics of a freshly watered, fertilized midwestern lawn on a summer day, radiating hot wetness in my face. i like shaded, brick courtyard-type patios.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
I've always though that it was front yards that were almost a total waste of space, at least the giant variety found in most suburbs. Growing up, we had a typical 1/4 acre suburban lot, of which half was front yard. The front yard was basically just used for mowing, and occasionally we'd play in it. All of the fun stuff was in the backyards or at the park down the street, though.
I agree on this. To me, what is the point of front yards?

I guess they serve as a noise buffer from roads and other homes, and are a formal public face of one's property. Besides that, no clue.

But honestly, yards are not THAT expensive and hard-to-maintain. I think my parents pay a professional company $20 per mow (for maybe only five months in MI) and maybe you pay $300 or so per season to have someone fertilize the lawn and bushes, and trim the bushes/hedges/trees. Basically that's it. Or you could do it all yourself and it costs nothing but lawnmower gas and fertilizer pellets.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 6:21 PM

I'm an advocate of "lazy gardening" for backyards. If grass will grow in a given area without active maintenance, so will a lot of food-bearing plants. Lazy gardening basically involves tilling the soil once, tossing in a bunch of seeds, and then walking away. Maybe spraying some water on there if it is especially hot or dry.

Even with near-total neglect, this strategy will often produce a lot of fruits and vegetables. Now, of course, you can get better results with more active care and maintenance, but this is aimed at people who do not have/do not wish to take the time to do much active gardening.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I am on my second home I have owned now both with small backyards. They tend to be a lot of work for little use. I may buy a condo next. It seems like it might be freeing.
This is my attitude as well. I lived in both types, houses and condos, and to me maintaining a house is more hassle than its worth. After living in a condo I even started hating trivial tasks associated with houses, like taking out garbage to the sidewalk curb. Both have pros and cons, but to me condo is a much easier day-to-day living.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 6:52 PM

this photo is from new orleans, and is sort of nearer my ideal back yard.

http://cdn.pursuitist.com

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 7:02 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i prefer a more closed-in garden spot - a world of, leaves, vines and brick.
you'd love our our back patio then. it's enclosed by our brick 6 flat on one side, the opposite side is enclosed by an ivy covered brick garage wall lined with a vegetable garden, covered by a large tree on the property line and flower gardens along both fence lines. it's mostly paved hardscape with a very small patch of grass in one corner. it's not huge, but it's enough space to make it worthwhile being outdoors. a perfect little back garden urban oasis.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 3, 2015 at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 7:14 PM

Quote:
you'd love our our back patio then. it's enclosed by our brick 6 flat on one side, the opposite side is enclosed by an ivy covered brick garage wall lined with a vegetable garden, covered by a large tree on the property line and flower gardens along both fence lines. it's mostly paved hardscape with a very small patch of grass in one corner. it's not huge, but it's enough space to make it worthwhile being outdoors. a perfect little urban back garden oasis.
sounds awesome! some of the best urban backyards i've ever seen are in chicago - a city that does urban greenspace well. although, i did see an entire backyard in wicker park years ago completely filled in by 7 foot tall sweet corn. i must question that.

i actually do like a little patch of grass. i have an old-time non-engine push mower for that.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 7:28 PM

It is so funny that I stumbled upon this thread. Just this morning I came to the conclusion that we do not use our back yard at all. I live in a townhouse with limited space. Im trying to figure out how to create a front yard seating area. We spent so much money on the outdoor furniture that we purchased years ago and rarley use it. I am going to transplant all of my perennials in the back and return it to nature. Ill take some of the patio pavers to the front and make a small seating area for my wife and daughter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions